Is Peter Chiarelli the worst trading GM in the league?

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Seven years, cap hit at 6M,complete NMC for the first 5, modified the last 2. There's a reason contending teams DO NOT sign guys like Lucic to deals like that.

Oh maybe they could have got a younger power forward had they not traded all the picks away....just a thought. You don't rush a rebuild just because you have McDavid.
I won't defend the length of Lucic's contract, but he isn't hurting the team today.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Didn't go through all the pages, but if we're talking about contract negotiation, signing Draisaitl to $8.5/8years is not good at all.

Gaudreau, Pasta, Tarasenko, Monahan, Barkov, Scheiffle, MacKinnon all make much less and are either better or equal with Drai. Drai puts up 10 more points (playing McDavid) than Monahan/Mac/Barkov and gets $2.1-2.5 mil more a year? Not great.
None of those guys produced in the playoffs like Leon when they signed their deals. Thats a huge factor that you can bet the leon camp was using.

Leon camp doesn't have to sign before Connor. If I was Leon's agent I would tell Chia, nope not talking until Connor signs first. Cause I Know I can base my number off what he gets. Two sides to a negotiation.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Hall for Larsson
Eberle for Strome
Barzal+ for Reinhart
Seguin trade

Just to name a few... Probably some really big ones I'm missing.
I'm not a fan of mentioning picks as players. When you trade a pick you never know what the outcome will be or how good or bad the scouting of the other team will be .

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
None of those guys produced in the playoffs like Leon when they signed their deals. Thats a huge factor that you can bet the leon camp was using.

Leon camp doesn't have to sign before Connor. If I was Leon's agent I would tell Chia, nope not talking until Connor signs first. Cause I Know I can base my number off what he gets. Two sides to a negotiation.
Are you serious? If an agent would use a 5 or 6 game hot streak in the playoffs as a tipping point to get at least $1.5m more money from a GM one of two things happened.

1) he's totally out to lunch
2) he's taking advantage of a very stupid GM

Your choice

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Are you serious? If an agent would use a 5 or 6 game hot streak in the playoffs as a tipping point to get at least $1.5m more money from a GM one of two things happened.

1) he's totally out to lunch
2) he's taking advantage of a very stupid GM

Your choice
All part of the negotiation process. Use every leverage point you can. I don't know what was said, but an agent will put forth every possible reason why their client should get paid. If Chia gave in easily, that's on him.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
If Chia gave in easily, that's on him.
I believe in part is why this thread exists, Again. Chia's mistake was signing McDavid before he had too and before Draisaitl, if anything Leons agent used Connors contract in the negotiations.

Chiarelli either got schooled or he had orders from above, either way he comes out as an idiot!

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Easily bottom 3, if not the worst.
However, I don't think it's fair to say "Barzal for Reinhart". What the teams to with the draft picks shouldn't really affect the outcome of the trade. It's the draft picks for Reinhart. Still a terrible deal, but still..

We weren’t drafting Barzal with that pick anyways. I remember the rumors were us liking Svechnikov or Sboril. (Pretty sure I messed up the spelling on both).

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
the 16th and 33rd pick for Griffin Reinhart was god awful.

Larrson for Hall was a bad trade in his favour, but you can't really fault him on that ,since no one was really interested in Hall. Larson is doing ok for the Oilers as a shut down defensemen. Hall is doing ok for the Devils as an offensive winger. A deal was in place to send Taylor Hall for Kevin Shattinkirk, but he wound't waive to Edmonton.

Ok the Eberle trade was bad, yes I know it had to be done, it doesn't mean anything is ok.

If take Larsson any day over Shattenkirk. The Eberle trade didn’t need to be made until this off season but the city ran him out of town.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I believe in part is why this thread exists, Again. Chia's mistake was signing McDavid before he had too and before Draisaitl, if anything Leons agent used Connors contract in the negotiations.

Chiarelli either got schooled or he had orders from above, either way he comes out as an idiot!
But, Leon's agent doesn't have to negotiate with Chia until Connor's deal is signed, which is the approach I would have taken if I was representing Leon.

Leon's camp knows that Connor was eligible to sign an extension in the summer. Connor could have waited until next season, but that wasn't going to happen. He was going to get signed this past summer.

His agent did the right thing for Leon and that was to let Connor set the bar and negotiate off that. If Chia was planning on getting my client signed before Connor, I would advise Leon to wait it out. Connor will sign. Remember, he broke his collar bone as a rookie. And with his blazing speed, it doesn't take much of a hook or a hold or trip to knock him off course and he could go crashing into the boards. Better for him to get the security of an extension.

Plus, an agent would use the Canadian hockey market to his advantage, as everyone talks hockey 365 and if EDM were to start the season without an extension for Connor when they had since July 1 to sign him, the radio show boards would have lit up.

At the end, it takes 2 sides to tangle. And you use all the leverage you can. And Leon's group was wise to be patient and let Connor sign first.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
But, Leon's agent doesn't have to negotiate with Chia until Connor's deal is signed, which is the approach I would have taken if I was representing Leon.

Leon's camp knows that Connor was eligible to sign an extension in the summer. Connor could have waited until next season, but that wasn't going to happen. He was going to get signed this past summer.

His agent did the right thing for Leon and that was to let Connor set the bar and negotiate off that. If Chia was planning on getting my client signed before Connor, I would advise Leon to wait it out. Connor will sign. Remember, he broke his collar bone as a rookie. And with his blazing speed, it doesn't take much of a hook or a hold or trip to knock him off course and he could go crashing into the boards. Better for him to get the security of an extension.

Plus, an agent would use the Canadian hockey market to his advantage, as everyone talks hockey 365 and if EDM were to start the season without an extension for Connor when they had since July 1 to sign him, the radio show boards would have lit up.

At the end, it takes 2 sides to tangle. And you use all the leverage you can. And Leon's group was wise to be patient and let Connor sign first.

Huh?
Are you suggesting Leon would have held out a year if Chia waited to sign Connor? Connor was eligible but Chia could have waited a year, it's not likely he would have got more than $100 friken million is it?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Huh?
Are you suggesting Leon would have held out a year if Chia waited to sign Connor? Connor was eligible but Chia could have waited a year, it's not likely he would have got more than $100 friken million is it?

He could have pushed for 4 or 5 years instead of 8 if Chia was dragging his feet and having him risk playing the year without contract, and 30 teams would give him that offersheet in a heartbeat.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Chia is an awful GM. HF told me I'm stupid all last year for saying he's bad at his job. I mean, the results speak for themselves - Hall/Eberle/Barzal is better than Larson/Strome/Reinhart in any context. Not just trades either, he's also the one who signed Lucic. Sure, he did OK by getting Talbot who was good last year, but when you are harping on Kris Russell as a reason a guy is competent, something is clearly amiss. Sucks, because no GM had more to work with.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
He could have pushed for 4 or 5 years instead of 8 if Chia was dragging his feet and having him risk playing the year without contract, and 30 teams would give him that offersheet in a heartbeat.
Chia did drag his feet as Leon was able to sign an offer sheet till the middle of Aug. Problem was the 30 teams you mention would never offer him close to what what he got from the Oilers because of the picks they would have to give up, even without the picks it's unlikely a team would take a $68m chance on a 77 point winger that had McDavid feeding him.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
McDavid at $12.5m and Draisaitl's $8.5m as RFA's are stupid too, Maybe he doesn't know what the R in RFA means?

I bet Darryl Katz caved for those deals. No rational GM could think those numbers would work in a cap league

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

I'd trade Draisaitls ass to Arizona

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
I bet Darryl Katz caved for those deals. No rational GM could think those numbers would work in a cap league
Of course he did, and with the brilliant guidance of Kevin "I know a little bit about winning" Lowe.... it happened

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Huh?
Never implied that Leon should miss the season. He had until Dec 1 to sign or not play this year. He would have signed by then.

But there are other moving parts than just the oilers wanting to sign Leon first.

What does the Connor camp want? Do they want to go into the season without a deal? If no, then he's going to push to have a deal done even if the oilers don't have Leon signed. Do the oilers have to sign Connor this past summer? No, they hold his rights until he turns 25. But, they faced media and fan pressure by not having Connor signed as soon as they were eligible to sign him. Plus, does Connor want to play up to 25% of the year without an extension if the Leon camp waits it out? Connor might want the security of the extension. Sets him up for life.

Those are the leverage points an agent for Leon would use to get Leon the best deal he can.

Takes two sides to come on an agreement. The other side has to say yes.

Chia has made his mistakes, no argument there. I just don't think you can say, I would have signed Leon first then deal with Connor. The Connor camp has a say in when they get signed as well.

No one can say if Connor would be fine waiting until Leon signed before signing. Maybe yes, maybe no. Will never know.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
The decade long suffering and being the absoloute laughing stock of the league and the punch line to any joke has finally come to an end! It is now finally time for the Oilers to show the world why Edmonton is called "the city of champions"

Chiarelli : Hold My Beer

In last year's playoffs I legitimately thought he'd been on to something but it's clear once again he builds success on inheritances and star players.

Nothing is more infuriating than his smug, know-it-all look at the podium countless times proclaiming how difficult it is to make trades.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
No. If it was just trades he would be doing pretty well.

Maroon and Talbot trades huge wins. Larsson trade filled a need.
Reinhart trade not good, but overblown in how bad it was.
Eberle win was for cap reasons.

Cap management is Chia's real issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad