Is Peter Chiarelli the worst trading GM in the league?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Not really what happened, NYI used the pick and flipped it to AB

The Isles traded up into the 28th spot with the 2nd and their own 3rd. That's where they selected Beauvillier. Ironically, the 28th pick was originally the Rangers pick. Josh Ho-Sang was selected with the 28th pick the year before which originally belonged to the Rangers as well.

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse
Lol of course he couldn't get a #3 defenseman to "fix" the defense without trading one of the top wingers in the league. Who cares about losing Eberle when they no longer have a single winger who knows what a good wrist shot looks like except when they put Drasaitl with McDavid to justify that abomination of a contract they gave him.

Sekera and Russell combining for 10 million a year is a horrible investment

Your team without McDavid is not even Canucks tier thanks to Chiapet

Lol, pump the brakes kid.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Sees all the eberle sucks posts. Looks at stats. Would be the oilers second leading scorer. He also drives possession and has had a tremendous impact on barzal.

[mod] if thats not convincing enough just look at the standings. I know who the better team is AINEC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Sees all the eberle sucks posts. Looks at stats. Would be the oilers second leading scorer. He also drives possession and has had a tremendous impact on barzal.

[mod] if thats not convincing enough just look at the standings. I know who the better team is AINEC.

Being honest, Ebs was horrible for them during the playoffs and played his way off the team.

Let’s not forget that this guy was considered an untouchable 3/4 years ago, and Oil fans were quick to remind everyone that he was one of the best wings in the game.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Easily bottom 3, if not the worst.
However, I don't think it's fair to say "Barzal for Reinhart". What the teams to with the draft picks shouldn't really affect the outcome of the trade. It's the draft picks for Reinhart. Still a terrible deal, but still..

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton

14 game sample size vs what, 6 seasons?

[mod]

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Cap space to sign McDavid and Draisaitl is kinda nice. It's not like those moves were made in a vacuum..

The Eberle trade was for cap space and a body.

I mean we can talk about Chia’s trash free agency signings that made that need for cap space if you want.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I think they could be in a much better position right now. There were a lot of problems when he arrived but that trade with the Islanders was the killer, what a horrible trade.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
The trades he has made have been absolutely ridiculous. I won't even get into them.

The one thing that just doesn't make any reasonable sense is how he handled the McDavid and Draisaitl negotiations.

He starts with McDavid, signs him on July 5, then signs Draisaitl on August 16.
Knowing full well that the money Connor gets will heavily impact the ask from Leon's agent.

Common sense and intelligence says you negotiate the lesser of the two players.

Leon might be a great player but damn he's not worth 8.5.

Sad for Oilers fans the gong show continues.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

I do not credit Eberle with Barzal's development. Even before Eberle was dropped to the 2nd line, Barzal showed terrific promise and was putting up pts

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I mean we can talk about Chia’s trash free agency signings that made that need for cap space if you want.
Let me guess, the Oilers don't need a guy like Lucic? The Oilers should have continued to dress strictly skilled players, right? Because big 20 goal scorers grow on trees.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Let me guess, the Oilers don't need a guy like Lucic? The Oilers should have continued to dress strictly skilled players, right? Because big 20 goal scorers grow on trees.

Seven years, cap hit at 6M,complete NMC for the first 5, modified the last 2. There's a reason contending teams DO NOT sign guys like Lucic to deals like that.

Oh maybe they could have got a younger power forward had they not traded all the picks away....just a thought. You don't rush a rebuild just because you have McDavid.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

Look at the two best teams of the last decade and ask yourself if they were worried about having big players or skilled players.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017

No thanks to Eberle, would not want him back for free. The Oilers certainly need a RW, but not Eberle. Islanders can keep him.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Easily bottom 3, if not the worst.
However, I don't think it's fair to say "Barzal for Reinhart". What the teams to with the draft picks shouldn't really affect the outcome of the trade. It's the draft picks for Reinhart. Still a terrible deal, but still..
Id still rank Dale Tallon and John Chayka higher on the **** list than Chiarelli...Chevy is pretty bad too..there's only 2 things really saving his bacon 1) Scheifele's contract and 2) Hellebuyck becoming more of a competent starter than he showed last year (as a rookie albeit).

But in reality, there is no explanation for some of the moves hes made thus far.

1) Reinhart trade...don't care if it was his idea or not..he pulled the trigger.
2) Hall trade ..I will admist that I didn't like the deal as a 1 for 1 ..have no issues with Larsson..love the guy but value-wise it shoulda been Larsson+
3)Eberle trade ..I get the cap savings..great...but he essentially traded a multi time 50-60pt player for a player that reached 50pts once in his career. IMO we shoulda tried to sign a real top 6 player (Vanek or Vrbata were my choices) to short term deals..both are RWers and both signed 1yr deals with their respective teams.
4)Not finding an adequate short term replacement for Sekera. Auvitu is aweful..I get they bet on Nurse and benning taking steps forward but for a team that was pegged as a contender..they shouldn't be relying on a 2nd yr Dman and a 22 year old in Nurse to fill the void for a competent #3 NHL Dman. Nurse seems to be busting down the door right now as a solid top 4D so theres a plus, I guess.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
the 16th and 33rd pick for Griffin Reinhart was god awful.

Larrson for Hall was a bad trade in his favour, but you can't really fault him on that ,since no one was really interested in Hall. Larson is doing ok for the Oilers as a shut down defensemen. Hall is doing ok for the Devils as an offensive winger. A deal was in place to send Taylor Hall for Kevin Shattinkirk, but he wound't waive to Edmonton.

Ok the Eberle trade was bad, yes I know it had to be done, it doesn't mean anything is ok.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Didn't go through all the pages, but if we're talking about contract negotiation, signing Draisaitl to $8.5/8years is not good at all.

Gaudreau, Pasta, Tarasenko, Monahan, Barkov, Scheiffle, MacKinnon all make much less and are either better or equal with Drai. Drai puts up 10 more points (playing McDavid) than Monahan/Mac/Barkov and gets $2.1-2.5 mil more a year? Not great.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad