New Jersey, Exit 16E
and our best pick in that time span was 29th overall :laugh:

Compared to:
Oilers --> 1st overall, 7th overall, 3rd overall
Panthers --> 23rd overall, 2nd overall, 1st overall
Sabres --> 12th overall, 14th overall, 8th overall, 16th overall, 2nd overall
Hurricanes --> 5th overall, 7th overall

Also cannot believe that Calgary has been better than us

Actually tied with the Flames. Ouch that hurts a bit. Also Nashville.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
'Fifth losingest' I can believe with all the SO losses.

Technically we should have had pick 10 last year and did have pick 9 in 2013 so we were bottom ten just points-wise in both years.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
'Fifth losingest' I can believe with all the SO losses.

Technically we should have had pick 10 last year and did have pick 9 in 2013 so we were bottom ten just points-wise in both years.

We can talk about technicalities all we want but end of the day, we've been just as bad as some of the worst teams in the league and unlike all of those teams, we have no draft picks to show for it.

It's the worst of both worlds. Not only do we suck, we don't even get rewarded for sucking.

Of course, this includes the Schneider trade.. but even if you consider our best pick to be 9th overall.. that palls in comparison to that list.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
We're 4-3-2...not 1-7-1. This is a pathetic thread

Why do the results matter more than the actual way the team is playing?

And if results matter that much, why doesn't the global result of missing the playoffs for two years straight matter?

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Why do the results matter more than the actual way the team is playing?

And if results matter that much, why doesn't the global result of missing the playoffs for two years straight matter?

Team isn't playing well, but they aren't playing horribly either. They're a painfully average team who are going to be on the bubble. Their last 7 games have been against PIT, OTT, DAL, NYR, SJS, WSH and TB. I'm sorry, but the Devils aren't better than any of those teams and are probably on par with Washington and Ottawa.

The last two seasons matter, which is why DeBoer will (probably) get canned if they don't make it this year. The only exception being is if Schneider goes down early and Kinkaid/Clemmensen blow it. Lou is giving him 3 strikes because the roster has been pretty much garbage since Parise and Kovalchuk left in consecutive offseasons.

Let's just cool it here. Schneider isn't a .901 goalie and and the PK won't stay at 66%. Can we wait 20 games before freaking out?

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Team isn't playing well, but they aren't playing horribly either. They're a painfully average team who are going to be on the bubble. Their last 7 games have been against PIT, OTT, DAL, NYR, SJS, WSH and TB. I'm sorry, but the Devils aren't better than any of those teams and are probably on par with Washington and Ottawa.

The last two seasons matter, which is why DeBoer will (probably) get canned if they don't make it this year. The only exception being is if Schneider goes down early and Kinkaid/Clemmensen blow it. Lou is giving him 3 strikes because the roster has been pretty much garbage since Parise and Kovalchuk left in consecutive offseasons.

Let's just cool it here. Schneider isn't a .901 goalie and and the PK won't stay at 66%. Can we wait 20 games before freaking out?

Lou once fired a coach less than two years from WINNING the Stanley Cup and less than one year from losing in Game 7.

Since when does anyone get 3 strikes here?

The roster excuses are nonsense. The team hasn't been great, no.. but it's the coaches job to do the best with the roster he has. Deboer has painfully underachieved the past two years.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Lou once fired a coach less than two years from WINNING the Stanley Cup and less than one year from losing in Game 7.

Since when does anyone get 3 strikes here?

The roster excuses are nonsense. The team hasn't been great, no.. but it's the coaches job to do the best with the roster he has. Deboer has painfully underachieved the past two years.

Lemaire had a team with 4 HOF players (Stevens, Brodeur, Niedermayer and Gilmour), Daneyko, Holik and Andreychuk who is a boarderline Hall of Famer. DeBoer is dealing with with a defense that has 3 U23 players on defense and a mixture of 32-42 year olds playing in the top 9, sans Henrique and Zajac. I don't think you can honestly say the team doesn't put forth a good effort most nights or have quit on PDB.

Standards of changed and for good reason. I remember Devils fans ******** about the coaching carousel that went on for 15+ years. Who the hell wants to coach here when there is no stability?

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Lemaire had a team with 4 HOF players (Stevens, Brodeur, Niedermayer and Gilmour), Daneyko, Holik and Andreychuk who is a boarderline Hall of Famer. DeBoer is dealing with with a defense that has 3 U23 players on defense and a mixture of 32-42 year olds playing in the top 9, sans Henrique and Zajac. I don't think you can honestly say the team doesn't put forth a good effort most nights or have quit on PDB.

Standards of changed and for good reason. I remember Devils fans ******** about the coaching carousel that went on for 15+ years. Who the hell wants to coach here when there is no stability?

Coaches have been fired with worse rosters.

See: Peter Deboer, 2011.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Coaches have been fired with worse rosters.

See: Peter Deboer, 2011.

I'm sorry, but DeBoer has given the team a chance to make the playoffs with mediocre rosters the last 2 years. It took a 10 game losing streak to miss the playoffs in a lockout shortened season with Brodeur putting up a .901 and Hedberg at .883. Is it DeBoer's fault neither goalie could stop ****?

Last year has been well documented, but Marty once again posted a .901 and the team went 0-13 in the shootout. The Marty situation sucked but what can DeBoer do when Lou comes out and says crap like, "we have two #1 goalies" and Brodeur is getting fluke wins by the Devils scoring like 8 goals per game with him in net?

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
I'm sorry, but DeBoer has given the team a chance to make the playoffs with mediocre rosters the last 2 years. It took a 10 game losing streak to miss the playoffs in a lockout shortened season with Brodeur putting up a .901 and Hedberg at .883. Is it DeBoer's fault neither goalie could stop ****?

Last year has been well documented, but Marty once again posted a .901 and the team went 0-13 in the shootout. The Marty situation sucked but what can DeBoer do when Lou comes out and says crap like, "we have two #1 goalies" and Brodeur is getting fluke wins by the Devils scoring like 8 goals per game with him in net?

Yet they DID NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

You can have all these excuses about how they were so close and should/could have made it.. but they didn't.

Coaches have been fired for less.. on this very franchise.

End of the day, a simple fact remains. Peter Deboer has led this team to the 5th worst record in the NHL the past two years with 0 playoff appearances. That's grounds for firing whether there are mitigating roster issues or not.

Teams fire their coaches every single year for less.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Yet they DID NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

You can have all these excuses about how they were so close and should/could have made it.. but they didn't.

Coaches have been fired for less.. on this very franchise.

End of the day, a simple fact remains. Peter Deboer has led this team to the 5th worst record in the NHL the past two years with 0 playoff appearances. That's grounds for firing whether there are mitigating roster issues or not.

Teams fire their coaches every single year for less.

The history of the franchise should have no bearing on today because the rosters are nowhere near comparable. Thus, expectations should be lower. I don't think DeBoer is perfect, but he's a good coach. If they don't make it this year, then yeah, I think he should be gone. He'll be scooped up in a minute by some other team, though.

I'm not sure where you're getting this 5th worst stat. I have Edmonton, Nashville, Calgary, Buffalo, Winnipeg, Islanders, Carolina and Florida being worse. I'm using total points from the 2013 season + 2013-2014

NHL Fanatik*

Just watched a highlight of Kovalchuk scoring in some random game in 2012....

Really depressing. Honestly, if we had Kovalchuk, I think we'd still be contenders today. Dont think Deboer is the problem, just the many horrible circumstances for NJ in the past few years. I mean really, our prospective lineup minus all the FA signings after Kovy left... (Say parise signed, just for fun, and Jagr still signs for a top 6 role)

Zubrus - Zajac - Parise
Kovalchuk - Elias - Jagr

Than you have the kids on D and a pick traded for Schneider still.

This team is easily top 3 in the East.

Some people gotta atop looking so harshly on Deboer, the guy was given a platter of crap and is still making it look somewhat taseful.

What other coach has lost his two star players and still made a over .500 club? Probably not many.

NHL Fanatik*

Now, do I agree with Deboers lineup choices? Not often, but the fact that we are currently 4-3-2 isn't really that bad.

Again, when has Lou ever assessed a team 9 games in? If we a under .500 by 15-20, than change will come (hopefully)

And if not than it is Lou we should be worried about, not Deboer.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
The history of the franchise should have no bearing on today because the rosters are nowhere near comparable. Thus, expectations should be lower. I don't think DeBoer is perfect, but he's a good coach. If they don't make it this year, then yeah, I think he should be gone. He'll be scooped up in a minute by some other team, though.

I'm not sure where you're getting this 5th worst stat. I have Edmonton, Nashville, Calgary, Buffalo, Winnipeg, Islanders, Carolina and Florida being worse. I'm using total points from the 2013 season + 2013-2014

Screw the history of the franchise.

Teams that have missed the playoffs the last 2 years:
New Jersey
Carolina --> fired Kirk Muller
Florida --> fired Kevin Dineen + Peter Horachek
Buffalo --> fired Lindy Ruff + Ron Rolston
Phoenix
Nashville --> fired Barry Trotz
Winnipeg --> fired Claude Noel
Calgary
Edmonton --> fired Ralph Kreuger

Let alone the teams that have fired damn good head coaches for less (not making it as far as they had hoped).

That leaves us, Phoenix and Calgary as the only teams to not make a head coach change after failing to make the playoffs the last two years.

Phoenix has been much closer than us at making the playoffs.
Want to see a team with a legitimately depleted roster? Look at Calgary.

Great company, regardless.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ

New Jersey
Phoenix
Calgary

Let alone the teams that have fired damn good head coaches for less (not making it as far as they had hoped).

That leaves us, Phoenix and Calgary as the only teams to not make a head coach change after failing to make the playoffs the last two years.

Has changing coaches made any tangible difference to those teams? Nashville and Edmonton, maybe (though it's way too early to tell).

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Has changing coaches made any tangible difference to those teams? Nashville and Edmonton, maybe (though it's way too early to tell).

You don't fire a coach because you are confident a change will generate immediate improvement.

You fire a coach because he's not getting the job done and you're better trying to find someone else who can get it done.

That answers your point about being fired without having much of a roster to compete with. Those are our contemporaries.. all but 2 have changed coaches.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL

New Jersey
Phoenix
Calgary

And they have more points than we do, lol.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
I would take Torts at this point. At least the presser would be fun to watch. There would be some passion behind the bench.

Torts can develop young d-men... but I doubt they axe Pete.

I'm not sure what exactly Lou is waiting for, but they shouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a trade soon. They have too many players who aren't contributing, so package a couple and get a player or two who at least have a chance of doing so. Maybe injuries (Havlat & Camm) have delayed their decision or maybe they are waiting for other teams to decide their direction, but no reason to wait much longer.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
We're 4-3-2...not 1-7-1. This is a pathetic thread

but nothing has changed under DeBoer, this team still makes the same stupid mistakes they've made every year under him. and yes every team blows a lead now and again, but almost every time we go up 2+ goals we wind up blowing it. we've gone ahead 2 or more goals 4 times this season and let the other team come back 3 times, 2 of which we ended up losing and both to division opponents.

again, this team has won 58 of 139 games since the beginning of the lockout season. that is completely unacceptable imo.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
but nothing has changed under DeBoer, this team still makes the same stupid mistakes they've made every year under him. and yes every team blows a lead now and again, but almost every time we go up 2+ goals we wind up blowing it. we've gone ahead 2 or more goals 4 times this season and let the other team come back 3 times, 2 of which we ended up losing and both to division opponents.

again, this team has won 58 of 139 games since the beginning of the lockout season. that is completely unacceptable imo.

This team's roster hasn't been very good for most of that span either. I honestly don't think any other coach would have gotten much more of out of this group the last couple years.

I do think that this year we have enough talent to make the playoffs though. So if we miss, I agree it's probably time for a change.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
This team's roster hasn't been very good for most of that span either. I honestly don't think any other coach would have gotten much more of out of this group the last couple years.

I do think that this year we have enough talent to make the playoffs though. So if we miss, I agree it's probably time for a change.

obviously the talent level isn't what we've had in the past, and i do think PDB has done an admirable job considering the defections of Parise and Kovy, but i think he could get more from the team. the East is pretty weak and while the lack of youth/skill is at the feet of Lou and Conte, DeBoer still doesnt manage this team to it's potential. perfect example again is seeing Josefson and Brunner look great and yet he sat them both so that slug Tootoo could float around the ice and commit penalties. this team has talent, albeit very aged, but there is no excuse for the mental errors and constant blown leads. it's not all on DeBoer, but if we keep sliding in the next month i'd like to see him go.

and Lou also needs to wake up and realize he needs to rebuild this team. get rid of the vets and get some prospects/draft picks in return if the season really unravels. not that any of them are worth much but it's time to dump the likes of Zubrus, Ruutu, Clowe, Ryder etc. Stop plugging in veterans and get some young guys in here.

DevilSlovenia

Jul 1, 2014
Mad. Disappointed. Frustrated. I could keep on going here.

DeBoer may the 2nd longest tenure in Devs history, but we have the 2nd worst win record in the NHL since he took over.

I'll gladly take Wilson, Ftorek or anyone else at this point.

Just not Johnny Mac :sarcasm:

How's that, I think he's at around 25 wins over 50% in his time here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad