Is Pete Here Tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
We should have lost the Philly and Tampa games. Ottawa was an even game that they won in OT. We have legit going away win this year.....over Florida.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
He shouldn't be here, but he will be. Ride it out for this season and hope for a top pick. Things aren't going to change when you have Pete manning the bench.

Given the way he has handled players, he can do too much damage by sticking around.

Devils Unseen Hand

Jul 25, 2002
Ocean County
He shouldn't be here, but he will be. Ride it out for this season and hope for a top pick. Things aren't going to change when you have Pete manning the bench.

The problem with riding it out for a season, this has been three seasons. Many fans (including myself) will start to find other things to do/watch & like everything else, forget about the Devils as a whole next year.

I had many a friend who did that. There used to be six of us that would watch all of the games together. All but two of us now, as the rest stopped watching/following the Devils in 2013.

And we all started watching them in 1992.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
The problem with riding it out for a season, this has been three seasons. Many fans (including myself) will start to find other things to do/watch & like everything else, forget about the Devils as a whole next year.

I had many a friend who did that. There used to be six of us that would watch all of the games together. All but two of us now, as the rest stopped watching/following the Devils in 2013.

its expensive and time consuming being a full time fan......and these days most people dont have the extra dough or time to waste

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Well given the prize at the end, if you get in a hole early then you have to ride out the season (though you can do that with an assistant as the head coach). Don't cost yourself chances at McDavid by chasing a playoff dream that will fall short.

We aren't there yet, but it is fast approaching

Devils Unseen Hand

Jul 25, 2002
Ocean County
its expensive and time consuming being a full time fan......and these days most people dont have the extra dough or time to waste

It is. I moved down to LBI & only on a rare occasion will I make the trip for a game. And yeah, $500+ for a 2 1/2 hour game & a 4 hour road trip...to watch this crap! Not happening anytime soon again.

Till 2013, I only missed 14 games since 1992. Come mid-way of 2013, I missed 16 games for that season. Twenty one games last year & this year none....yet.

That will change unless they change the coach. He's a bum & needs to go...NOW!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
unfortunately yes. i doubt ownership wants to pay deboer for 3 years of extended vacation

You really think he's signed for three years? I thought he just got optioned last offseason.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I don't know how much I'd put past Lou at this point, if anything Pete probably got an extension after '12 but it's gotta be coming to an end soon.

Either he did, or they picked an option (or got automatically picked up) last year. Would imagine if so he signed for this year or through next year tops.

Given the Toronto rumors last year, if they fire him they may not have to pay him for long

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
I don't know how much I'd put past Lou at this point, if anything Pete probably got an extension after '12 but it's gotta be coming to an end soon.

I dont know how long Pete is on the hook for, but Lou needs to hold back on these extended contracts for anyone that wants one nowadays

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I dont know how long Pete is on the hook for, but Lou needs to hold back on these extended contracts for anyone that wants one nowadays

Well basically five or six guys are signed beyond next year right now (Henrique, Zajac, Greene, Clowe, Cory) so it's not like they can't have another facelift soon.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It deserves repeating again:

Pete DeBoer is the 2nd longest tenured coach in New Jersey Devils history. Only Jacques Lemaire has coached this team for more games.

goawaygary*

Pete will be here tomorrow, but Lou may have already made up his mind. The way Lou works is that he never fires the coach when you expect him to. Deboer may win the next two and then poof he's gone

I would sort of laugh off the notion that Lemaire is coming back but, look around the NHL unemployed coaches landscape, there really is nobody else. And while Lemaire is old (just turned 69) it's not like he's 80 or something. I'm sure he's quite capable of coming back for 73 regular season games + playoffs (we hope)

This is not that crazy a suggestion anymore.

If we can look at phone records from the office of Mr. Lamoriello, I believe you will see some outgoing calls to QC

Devils Unseen Hand

Jul 25, 2002
Ocean County
Pete will be here tomorrow, but Lou may have already made up his mind. The way Lou works is that he never fires the coach when you expect him to. Deboer may win the next two and then poof he's gone

I would sort of laugh off the notion that Lemaire is coming back but, look around the NHL unemployed coaches landscape, there really is nobody else. And while Lemaire is old (just turned 69) it's not like he's 80 or something. I'm sure he's quite capable of coming back for 73 regular season games + playoffs.

This is not that crazy a suggestion anymore.

Ron Wilson is out there. Ftorek.

However, a native NJ resident would be an interesting coach for the Devils....Pierre McGuire.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And according to some deranged folks, he's the 2nd best coach in New Jersey Devils history too.

I think that was one person with Pete-tinted glasses :laugh:

There's no way any list of top Devils coaches doesn't start with Lemaire and Burns. Whoever's #3 doesn't matter as much - there's a chasm between those two and anyone else, I'll still go with Larry based on '00-01 though head coaching really wasn't his cup of tea in the long run.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

However, a native NJ resident would be an interesting coach for the Devils....Pierre McGuire.

Just no...no to those last two. I'd rather have Dave Barr or Kowalsky coaching the team than Ftorek or Pierre.

goawaygary*

Can't be serious with that one. Pierre McGuire last coached in the NHL like 20 years ago. He's a tv talking head not a pro head coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad