Speculation: Is our GM Brendan Shanahan or Dave Nonis?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Don't know if you are being serious, but how did that work out last time? Nonis has a longer leash because he is one of Leweike's hire (extension giver)....but he is clearly a lame duck (well paid though). I think his probation period under Shanny could last at least 18 months. Expecting the scouting staff to be given the Shanny special treatment next....not a good time to be an assistant scout:)

I am being serious but I never said I agreed with it. All I said was that if you wanted experience in a temporary role, Fletcher is a hell of a lot better then keeping someone like Nonis that's actually still has a lot of years as an executive of the NHL. It's not really fair for Nonis to be here as a lame duck GM for a year or whatever you need him for. Shanahan is a lot smarter then that. If Nonis isn't someone you see here for more then a year, then he would have been gone a long time ago.

Nonis I think he's here to stay for a lot longer then we think, barring of course the Leafs having a completely disastrous season. If the Leafs are semi-competitive and have improvements in some key areas but aren't really challenging for a playoff spot, I could see Nonis staying for at least another season.

hockeyfanz*

Pat Quinn assembled the best Leaf teams since league expansion.

Correct. Multiple 100 point seasons. 2 Conference finals. Missed the playoffs once while in charge and got fired for it. LOL.

Class act.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
I am being serious but I never said I agreed with it. All I said was that if you wanted experience in a temporary role, Fletcher is a hell of a lot better then keeping someone like Nonis that's actually still has a lot of years as an executive of the NHL. It's not really fair for Nonis to be here as a lame duck GM for a year or whatever you need him for. Shanahan is a lot smarter then that. If Nonis isn't someone you see here for more then a year, then he would have been gone a long time ago.

Nonis I think he's here to stay for a lot longer then we think, barring of course the Leafs having a completely disastrous season. If the Leafs are semi-competitive and have improvements in some key areas but aren't really challenging for a playoff spot, I could see Nonis staying for at least another season.

I think Nonis has a 5 year extension with GM level money (we know MLSE can be generous), so its unlikely Nonis will leave on his own accord any time soon despite his obvious public neutering. 18 months from now, Shanahan will be well settled and may reassess what/who he wants in the GM chair (#1 lackey)

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Shanahan has no experience being a general manager. If anything Nonis is guiding him through the process while Shanny gives his input.

he seems to be doing pretty good so far. the guy has been around the nhl for over 20 years. he might not have actual gm experience but he is still a good hockey mind.

About 3 weeks ago Doug McLean was talking about these "non-GM" Presidents.

He said, they are in reality the GM's, just without the baggage.

Look at Burke in Calgary, said he was going there, but Feaster (the GM who landed all their prospects including Monahan) was not going to be fired.

Yep, sure, Burke fired him and replaced him with no one for half a year.

What?

A team needs a GM!!!!

:biglaugh:

McLean said he would have loved not being the GM while he was GM.

its probably true. nonis needs to report to shannahan. im not sure what kind of decisions nonis can make without checking with shanny. if thats the case then nonis is basically an assistant gm.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
At the draft it appeared Shanny was final say. I think Bergs was really overjoyed his pick was the guy. I like Bergsy a lot and think he is our best scout and takes a heck of a lot of pride in his work.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I highly doubt that Shanahan involves himself in the day to day business side of running the team. I think he probably has had Nonis brief him on the business side of running the team.

The player personnel aspects are probably discussed openly in daily team management meetings. This is probably how Shanahan came to the conclusion he wanted to dismiss both Claude Loiselle and Dave Poulin. He may not of liked their analytical opinions on current or other available players.

I also think Nonis would have been fired by now too, if he wasn't living up to Shananhan's expectations.

Just speculating here.

Last edited:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Correct. Multiple 100 point seasons. 2 Conference finals. Missed the playoffs once while in charge and got fired for it. LOL.

Class act.

100% agreement from me! :yo:

I still would like him brought in to coach the team again. :nod: But, has the game passed him by now? :dunno:

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
while it can't be denied that quinn seemed to have an impressive record, it was before salary cap and before shootouts. and you got 1 point for a tie. it made all the difference in the world.

i think under wilson, we would have made the playoffs if we didn't have shootouts and would have not played boston if we didn't have shootouts.

quinn was a dump and chase guy, who never spoke to the young guys and did random things like bench steve sullivan when he was on a several game scoring streak.

he was smart enough to get excellent goaltending.

if he was the coach right now, we'd be in the lottery imo.

Sharabhi

Jan 10, 2008
I just read "Leafs had planned to clean up their front office next summer and hire Dubas, but another Eastern team was ready to hire him this summer."

That to me suggests, there is a good chance Nonis and/or Carlyle could be let go next year as well, as they had planned. Sounds like Shanny wanted to get 1 year in to evaluate how they are and what we have.

So, as it stands I see Shanny as our decision maker, but unfortunately Nonis is the middleman doing most of the negotiations and there is a good chance we'll have a new (proper) GM next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad