Speculation: Is our GM Brendan Shanahan or Dave Nonis?

maketrades

May 30, 2014
Just reading this article http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=456858 among others and seeing how the draft went down, it seems as if Shanny is definitely the guy making the decisions now.

What kind of influence does Nonis still have? Why did they choose to structure it this way instead of being more transparent about it or just getting rid of Nonis?

If you're Nonis, why are you still there? Do you think he's just chill with it?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Dave Nonis currently holds the position of "General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs", so Dave Nonis.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Looking at the moves it seems like its very much a committee except I think the big moves like our 8th overall & Robidas feel like they have Shannahan's touch

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
my theory is Shanahan is training to be the GM. Nonis gets fired. Shanahan hires AG. AG does all the scouting etc . Shanahan is president and GM. the end.

maketrades

May 30, 2014
I hate Nonis' face, let Shanahan be GM lol

I think you're gonna make him cry :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead :sarcasm:

dave_nonis.jpg

Tyler Biggs*

The high expectations every year on the Maple Leafs are unrealistic at this point. It is a forward path from here despite missing the playoffs last season. The truth is the Leafs cannot buy a team like they used to. This team is still growing. If certain fans can't respect the process to build a Stanley cup contending team, they should find another team to support.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Just reading this article http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=456858 among others and seeing how the draft went down, it seems as if Shanny is definitely the guy making the decisions now.

What kind of influence does Nonis still have? Why did they choose to structure it this way instead of being more transparent about it or just getting rid of Nonis?

If you're Nonis, why are you still there? Do you think he's just chill with it?

Shanahan has no experience as an NHL GM when it comes to contracts, the CBA or all the responsibilities that go along with it.

Nonis now however is no different than he was under Burke as he doesn't have the final say and acts more like the assistant GM for all intents and purposes.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Shanahan has no experience being a general manager. If anything Nonis is guiding him through the process while Shanny gives his input.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Is it a hard concept for people to understand that Nonis is thr Gm, but has many experienced and intelligent people to consut with, and therefore a lot of moves are a management decision? Its like a car dealership, and people thinking the salesman sets prices and does financing. Most of the time there is a team aspect in every sale.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
Nonis is the number two, the second in command, and I think he should be a good number 2. Right now it appears that Shanahan is the one making the long term plans and setting the direction. Nonis appears to be working within the vision of Shanahan.

Nonis probably takes care of of the day-to-day things while Shanahan is the face and the big picture guy. With that said Nonis is still the GM. And I expect that the long term vision is something that all they guys helped design.

one can hope that two heads are better than one.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Still feels like this team is being built in Nonis' vision, but Shanahan seems to be the one approving the big decisions now.

Can't say that I mind the arrangement, but the fact that they haven't addressed anything regarding the culture of the team and the coaching staff of the team, means it doesn't really matter who is in charge. They are both going to get an F-grade when this team misses the palyoffs.

Nov 15, 2008
Lerin MKD
Shanahan has no experience as an NHL GM when it comes to contracts, the CBA or all the responsibilities that go along with it.

Nonis now however is no different than he was under Burke as he doesn't have the final say and acts more like the assistant GM for all intents and purposes.

Basically Nonis is the same as he was under Burke , an assistant to Shanny Something like the Jays setup of anthopoulos sp. ? To Beeston.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
nonis is there, and shanny is there - i see them both as being part of the management and not so much slapping a label on them. I've worked for companies where one day they have an office manager, then the next week they don't.. then 6 months later they hire one again. 4 months after that there's an "assistant" to that role, then 5 months later there's a brand new top dawg in town, freshly hired with a new title - "associate regional office manager to the assistant" or some jibberish name. It's a big *****-show with larger companies sometimes, and MLSE looks to be one of these.

They're both doing the GM job. Maybe Shanahan pulls more weight, which is what it could very well be. If they decide to have only one GM, maybe they'll keep Shanahan and move Nonis into some different position, like "advisor to the gm of scouting - regional sales division" or something. Or maybe they keep nonis as gm and make Shanahan the CEO once Leweike gives up and quits this joke of a franchise

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
My belief is that Shanny has taken Burke's old role. He tells Nonis what he wants and lets Nonis make it happen, then runs virtually any move through Shanny before it is made. The one difference and advantage for Shanahan is that unlike Burke, Shanny does not hold the title of GM making his position entirely secure should the moves fail. If Shanny has Nonis make a move and it fails, Nonis is the fall guy.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Well Nylander seemed like a Red Wings type of pick. Everything else that has happened seems like classic Nonis. So I'm going to say it's still a good 75% Nonis driving the bus............ into the ditch.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
It is because Nonis was extended before the collapse and hence firing him doesn't only making the one extending Nonis look stupid, you also have to pay (maybe a big portion of the deal) as compensation to make Nonis go.

For Nonis, if he resigned he probably won't get compensated. He is not going to quit his job and leave all his deal money on the table.

Its funny that maybe the Leafs want Nonis to resign on his own while Nonis hopes the Leafs to fire him.

Mar 26, 2010
Shanahan did not even have the class to go up on the podium to make the 1st round draft choice. Yes... shows his commitment to Toronto! What a joke.

He is going to do nothing for the Leafs. Leiweke just threw a huge pay cheque at him that he could not refuse. The team has not changed at all from last season (besides adding another 4th liner and 2 garbage old D men.)

This team is ****ed!

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
He's basically filling the Ken Dryden role. Which is getting paid for wearing nice suits and pretending to be important.

ThrillinPhil

Tdot.
Jan 9, 2011
Shanahan did not even have the class to go up on the podium to make the 1st round draft choice. Yes... shows his commitment to Toronto! What a joke.

He is going to do nothing for the Leafs. Leiweke just threw a huge pay cheque at him that he could not refuse. The team has not changed at all from last season (besides adding another 4th liner and 2 garbage old D men.)

This team is ****ed!

He lets "The GM be the GM", even Bob McKenzie said that when the Leafs where about to pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad