Is now the time to deal JVR?

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I realized it is a joke. Well, perhaps if men didn't effectively say that you have to be a man (physically or spiritually) to be a member of that community, there would be more women.

I didn't realize that I was only allowed to comment on social issues that you approve of.
Yeah, being economically insolvent really is equivalent to a darn joke. Daisy does refer to her gender in a joking manner as well. My post was clearly in response to her one.

I'm not going to be referring to her sex in a random manner.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Why? just because the leafs trade JVR doesn't mean the kids will come up, which is what I think a lot of people are thinking and/or expecting, which doesn't necessarily have to be the case at all.
Exactly. Trading JVR is about garnering maximum return. I am not sure if his trade value is getting any higher especially when he can't carry his own line.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Exactly. Trading JVR is about garnering maximum return. I am not sure if his trade value is getting any higher especially when he can't carry his own line.

Trading JVR is about maximizing value.

Doing whats best for the franchise is about doing whats best for the team in the long run. And it is debatable whether trading JVR is better in the long-run.

First off, he is the only legit top 6 winger we have now.
Second, he is still young enough to be part of a rebuild (26, but as a bigger man can likely play into 30s)
Third, character guy who seems to be a good locker room presence

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nashville is a team that could use JVR offense and his contract very pleasing also.

Nashville has strength on defense with Weber and Josi carrying the team..

I think there is the potential here to pry Seth Jones away from the Preds in a blockbuster trade involving JVR on Leafs side.

If I were to trade JVR this is the type of deal I would be pursuing.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If management thinks they will be prepared to lock him up long term in 3 years for a big contract in the 6.5-7.5 range then he should be kept. He is a former 2nd overall with tons of skill.

If he isn't in the long term plans then sell him to the highest bidder. His contract is perfect for a playoff blound team that wants cheap scoring. He could bring back a huge haul in assets

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
If management thinks they will be prepared to lock him up long term in 3 years for a big contract in the 6.5-7.5 range then he should be kept. He is a former 2nd overall with tons of skill.

If he isn't in the long term plans then sell him to the highest bidder. His contract is perfect for a playoff blound team that wants cheap scoring. He could bring back a huge haul in assets

6.5m???? For what????

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
And other teams will know the Leafs are lacking in talent. If JVR is top of the scoring on a lousy team, other teams will still be interested.
Buffalo was the worst team but Tyler Ennis is a good player. 40 points with nothing.
Stepping up doesn't mean he has to (or can) equal the points he got with Kessel. How could he? Kessel vs. Bozak/Parenteau?
The title of this thread: is the time now to deal JVR?
It doesn't have to be.
Stepping up to be the guy used in all situations is what he needs to do. If he's a lazy floater, it will be seen. If he's working hard and the points are down because we are a bad team, that will be seen as well.
Now if a team like Jersey offers me Larsson or Severson for JVR, I make the deal. If not, we can wait.
20 goals and 20 some assist for 40 + points on a bad team while being a plus player is stepping up. And he will have value because if he does this, teams will know put him with a good center and he can produce more.

And what is hes a 20 20 while being a large negative and continuing to float?

MapleLife*

Nashville is a team that could use JVR offense and his contract very pleasing also.

I think there is the potential here to pry Seth Jones away from the Preds in a blockbuster trade involving JVR on Leafs side.

Uggh Jones is a RHD too.
Makes too much sense to ever happen

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
organization so smart...just make it obvious that u wanna trade kessel, dion, lupul, jvr, etc...so teams low ball u and u dont get equal value for any1...idiots, u can trade em all but u gotta get the right value in return

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

JVR + Polak + Percy for Jones + Cap Dump + 2nd 2016

Polak fills in for Jones... and might be a better player to have for a 3rd pairing.

When Polak's contract is done, they'll still have Percy who projects to be a pretty solid 2nd or 3rd pairing guy.

I would start my offer at:

JVR + Robidas for Jones + Cap Dump... but I'd be willing to take the above deal if it means getting Jones. Are we giving up a lot? Ya... but at the end of the day, we get the player we wanted that is otherwise virtually impossible to get.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
6.5m???? For what????

If he continues to produce in the 50-60 points per year range, I can see him asking for that once his current contract ends.

Now, I do think his production will drop next year with Kessel off the team. However, I can't say for sure how long it will stay down for.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If he continues to produce in the 50-60 points per year range, I can see him asking for that once his current contract ends.

Now, I do think his production will drop next year with Kessel off the team. However, I can't say for sure how long it will stay down for.

If you keep paying mediocre guys 5-6 mil, that what kills ya in the cap world. I don't know if JvR is the kind of guy I'd want to pay that money for. I am not sold on him yet.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yeah. One part of building a successful team is beating the cap. Market value over the whole board just doesn't cut it, you need to save money where you can if you want to compete.

JVR isn't a good enough player that you want to make him an exception to that. But that's a few years down the line, so not much sense discussing it now really.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
JVR + Polak + Percy for Jones + Cap Dump + 2nd 2016

Polak fills in for Jones... and might be a better player to have for a 3rd pairing.

When Polak's contract is done, they'll still have Percy who projects to be a pretty solid 2nd or 3rd pairing guy.

I would start my offer at:

JVR + Robidas for Jones + Cap Dump... but I'd be willing to take the above deal if it means getting Jones. Are we giving up a lot? Ya... but at the end of the day, we get the player we wanted that is otherwise virtually impossible to get.

Nashville has the NHL's lowest team salary and is still $2.7 mil below the Cap floor.

I don't think a Cap dump is all that important a consideration unless its simply a player they want to move out.

A JVR ($4.25 mil) - Jones ($9.25 mil) = $3.325 mil did and just pushes the Preds above the Cap floor.

So what else could be included that could make this transaction be completed is the key.

I think Jones and Rielly could form a potential top pairing for the Leafs for the next decade and two excellent building blocks.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If you keep paying mediocre guys 5-6 mil, that what kills ya in the cap world. I don't know if JvR is the kind of guy I'd want to pay that money for. I am not sold on him yet.

I'd personally trade JVR for futures, but I think it's pretty unfair to call him mediocre. He's a top six winger whose hit 60 points. That's well above average.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Yeah. One part of building a successful team is beating the cap. Market value over the whole board just doesn't cut it, you need to save money where you can if you want to compete.

JVR isn't a good enough player that you want to make him an exception to that. But that's a few years down the line, so not much sense discussing it now really.

Pretty much.

Look at Chicago's contracts with Keith, Hjalmarrson, Kane and Toews' old contracts, etc...

To beat the cap, you gotta roll the dice. Yes, that means handing out a sketchy contract to an unknown commodity at the time (yes believe it or not, Duncan Keith was an unknown commodity when he signed his contract, Hawks decided he was worth rolling the dice on and holy hell did it pay out huge).

Look at why they traded Saad; with Toews and Kane's new contract, they cannot afford anymore "market deals." So much that they're willing to trade a great young talent like Saad.

JVR @ 4.25M is most certainly a bargain for a contender. Definitely not market value. That's why we need to trade him, this contract is gonna be up and I don't think it's going to be worth re-signing him.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
IMO the best way to rebuild and get a good pick would be by ensuring that the teams in your conference beat you as much as they can, since you'll be playing against them the most.

JVR for Emelin + Desharnais + 1st in 2016 + Hudon (will help the rebuild)

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I'd vote yes, for sure.
He's probably the most desirable NHL player considering contract and talent and age and production.
He's the best bet to fill the cupboard's gaps. If there was a winning deal for a potential top line fwd or top pairing RHD, then I'd endorse that deal for sure.
And the only real control you have is over your own team and pick - so, his subtraction helps with that.
I'd want whatever asset it is to NOT be a pro this year tho.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
IMO the best way to rebuild and get a good pick would be by ensuring that the teams in your conference beat you as much as they can, since you'll be playing against them the most.

JVR for Emelin + Desharnais + 1st in 2016 + Hudon (will help the rebuild)
two cap dumps a late 1st and b propect for jvr, no way. Think more like one of mcarron/scherbak, a first, a young roster player so jdlr, and a cap dump ie emelin, gilbert, dd

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
organization so smart...just make it obvious that u wanna trade kessel, dion, lupul, jvr, etc...so teams low ball u and u dont get equal value for any1...idiots, u can trade em all but u gotta get the right value in return

I think they may be actually be doing the opposite with Dion since Babcock arrived, making all kinds of noise that they want to keep him. I agree that the Leafs seemed too eager to deal Kessel and it probably cost them.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I think if were really rebuilding nows the time to move JVR, On a good contract for 3 more years, hopefully get a boat load for him.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
two cap dumps a late 1st and b propect for jvr, no way. Think more like one of mcarron/scherbak, a first, a young roster player so jdlr, and a cap dump ie emelin, gilbert, dd

Just trying to help the Leafs reach the cap floor...those two bring an 8m cap hit...JVR is like what, 4.5m?

91Kadri91*

53063585.jpg

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Jones isn't moving. Nashville already said this.

Just stop. Stop talking about him. Stop putting him in deals. Stop.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00