Is NJ one of the most improved offences in recent memory?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Devils fans have always been very active contributors on HF. There was actually once a time where the collective group of Devils fans were seen as some of the best on the forums - and this was back when they were a consistent playoff team. So you're assumption that we'll get a bad rep when we become successful is completely false.

To believe that the fans of your team are any better than the fans of others is a mistake. 99% of fans of all fanbases are pretty chill, reasonable, etc. It's the 1% that are vocal and confrontational that cause "rep" issues. Generally, the larger the fanbase, the more likelihood of those fans being present. I know for a fact that people from New Jersey aren't more reasonable or less arrogant than people from other places lol.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You can't judge a trade after one season especially one involving a player like Taylor Hall

We've been judging that trade constantly since it's happened. Obviously, you can't to an effective post mortem until the trade has run it's course, but that takes years, sometimes decades. What are we supposed to do, completely withhold our opinions until each guy retires?

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Adding Hall at the cost of Larsson did not improve the offense. Surely you're smart enough to see the distinction??

This is absurd talk. Removing Larsson and adding Hall was clearly a step forward on offense. Larsson does not contribute offensively as much as Hall does. We could have a discussion about overall contribution, but just on the offense side this is a facially absurd argument.

The Senators Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Well, not IMO. Goaltending plays a HUGE part. Again 1st overall pick does help in that. But biggest in recent history, maybe or possibly. But in history, not at all. I do think they have improved in the offence but Cory has been playing well too.

Reactions: Comparison Ford

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Devils fans have always been very active contributors on HF. There was actually once a time where the collective group of Devils fans were seen as some of the best on the forums - and this was back when they were a consistent playoff team. So you're assumption that we'll get a bad rep when we become successful is completely false.

I agree about Devils fans. I used to converse with some on the NJ.com site for hockey and they are one of the most passionate and knowledgeable fans I have discussed hockey with. I am not sure what bad rep they have, none from my standpoint.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
This is absurd talk. Removing Larsson and adding Hall was clearly a step forward on offense. Larsson does not contribute offensively as much as Hall does. We could have a discussion about overall contribution, but just on the offense side this is a facially absurd argument.

Larsson contributes offensively in subtle ways that don't always show up on the score sheet. He was excellent at controlled breakouts and keeping the puck out of our zone. Like I said earlier, it's hard to score when you're hemmed in your own zone. Larsson was by far our best defenseman at preventing that from happening.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Leaf fans.... You guys hijack just about every thread on this main board. 1.2 years of a DECENT team and you guys have anointed yourselves the judge and jury on everyone else's teams and players.

Ray Shero has completely rebuilt this team's offense through trades/drafting/and signings.

No one is saying the Devils are going to win the cup this year. Hell, it remains to be seen if we'll even make the playoffs. While it's been a fantastic start, the team can only win one goal games lately and the point gap between first place and not being in the playoffs is not that much. We need Johansson and Palmieri to get back from injury (Mojo within a week and Palmieri in 3-5 weeks). Schneider and Kinkaid have to be on top of their game at all times because this D group WILL give up a lot of shots and chances every game.

Shero and Castron. Whatever you guys do, do not let them go. Unbelievable job they have done in 2 years taking over from Lou and Conte. I felt bad for the Devils during the lean years. Plug in players, bad contracts of hoping some vets would resemble NHL players. Now there is so much excitement around this young team. All credit goes to Shero's rebuild, with Castron's focus on speed and skilled players. This is as impressive management as I have seen the past 2 years in the NHL.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Larsson contributes offensively in subtle ways that don't always show up on the score sheet. He was excellent at controlled breakouts and keeping the puck out of our zone. Like I said earlier, it's hard to score when you're hemmed in your own zone. Larsson was by far our best defenseman at preventing that from happening.
That's nice and all and I don't disagree with you, but arguing this puts his offensive contributions on par with Taylor Hall's is ridiculous.

Reactions: Peanut

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Ok, and Hall contributes offensively in non-so-subtle ways, as one of the most dynamic forwards this organization has iced.

Talk about apples and oranges. Defensively, the team has a void that is still fairly gaping nearly a year and a half following the trade. However, you can't argue against the offensive strides the team has made, kickstarted by the deal for Hall. Come on, now.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Shero and Castron. Whatever you guys do, do not let them go. Unbelievable job they have done in 2 years taking over from Lou and Conte. I felt bad for the Devils during the lean years. Plug in players, bad contracts of hoping some vets would resemble NHL players. Now there is so much excitement around this young team. All credit goes to Shero's rebuild, with Castron's focus on speed and skilled players. This is as impressive management as I have seen the past 2 years in the NHL.

You are so right about them.

What Shero has done in the last few years is unbelievable. The trades for Hall, Johansson, and Palmieri added three top six forwards while only giving up Larsson and four picks (no firsts... and two picks that weren't even ours!). He and Hynes played a huge role in getting Butcher to sign here which is paying off big time. Drafting Nico was a no brainer... but Bratt was a great find in the sixth round and he's contributing a lot already. He had faith in Gibbons which has paid off. Every single Devils fan was scratching their heads trying to figure out why he made the opening night roster... and he leads the team in goals. He signed J. Moore which has paid off. Moore's first two years here were career years... he's on pace to have another career year not to mention his overtime success.

While we all take craps on coach Hynes every now and then... when the team plays well, it has his stamp all over it. The system he preaches is beautiful when it works. The last three games (Bos, Van, Det) were three of the best games of the season in terms of full team play. You can't look away from the TV when you watch the Devils... even on the penalty kill because they are absolutely relentless and could create chances at any moment. This team is very young and has a bright future... the success is way ahead of schedule. We are lacking 1-2 stud d-men... but Shero can pull the trigger on a lopsided trade at any time as he has been doing here...

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That's nice and all and I don't disagree with you, but arguing this puts his offensive contributions on par with Taylor Hall's is ridiculous.
Last year our offensive output was essentially unchanged while the oilers offense increased dramatically. It's only one season but the increase on offense we saw from Hall did not offset the increase in d zone we experienced from losing Larsson.

Hopefully things continue to go as they have this year, with Hischier, Bratt, Butcher, Gibbons, Stafford, Mojo, and Boyle making a huge impact in supporting Hall. I personally believe those additions have been the driving force behind our improvement in offensive production. But we still dearly miss Larsson on D. I'm still not convinced Hall makes us better than Larsson, considering how much better the rest of our offense has become.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Last year our offensive output was essentially unchanged while the oilers offense increased dramatically. It's only one season but the increase on offense we saw from Hall did not offset the increase in d zone we experienced from losing Larsson.

Hopefully things continue to go as they have this year, with Hischier, Bratt, Butcher, Gibbons, Stafford, Mojo, and Boyle making a huge impact in supporting Hall. I personally believe those additions have been the driving force behind our improvement in offensive production. But we still dearly miss Larsson on D. I'm still not convinced Hall makes us better than Larsson, considering how much better the rest of our offense has become.

Let's try this another way. Would you have traded Larsson for Gaudreau? Can you agree that Johnny Hockey is worth a boatload more than Adam Larsson? If so we can pretty much all agree that Hall is worth a boatload more than Larsson as most people consider Gaudreau and Hall to be pretty close.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Isn't awful having a fanbase that wants to discuss and argue on a board meant for discussion and arguements?

Wouldn't it be better if every forum was more like the Devils forum, where a thread might be on the front page for weeks at a time without being bumped off?

Not to be an ass, but feverish fans from Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg, Chicago, Boston...etc annoying as they may be, are what keep forums like this alive and worth visiting. If you truly want just prospect info, there are blogs, podcasts and articles by professionals without all the fan input.
LOL.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Who would have thought that Gibbons would become an offensive all star.

How many lucky clovers did he find before the regular season?

He’s just the latest example of the new NHL where small non-elite players can succeed with smart energetic play. The only surprise is that he did it at a relatively advanced age but maybe he just never played for a coach who has an organizational mandate to emphasize skating and skill over most other hockey playing attributes.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Are you proud have having a more active fanbase than Islanders, Hurricanes and Blue Jackets?

The fact that you have more than Chicago doesn't change anything. Devils fans will start to get the same bad rep other fans do of successful teams.

In all fairness it seems that most fanbases of teams that struggle for a period of times and then turn the corner or at least start to become contentious to some degree. I chalk it up to a combination of bandwagon fans and pent up frustration from the long suffering ones.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Let's try this another way. Would you have traded Larsson for Gaudreau? Can you agree that Johnny Hockey is worth a boatload more than Adam Larsson? If so we can pretty much all agree that Hall is worth a boatload more than Larsson as most people consider Gaudreau and Hall to be pretty close.

Hall is nowhere close to Gaudreau. That's been my opinion for forever, but recent polls suggest the same.

That said, it would have been a tough call for me to move our best and only defensive defenseman.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
He’s just the latest example of the new NHL where small non-elite players can succeed with smart energetic play. The only surprise is that he did it at a relatively advanced age but maybe he just never played for a coach who has an organizational mandate to emphasize skating and skill over most other hockey playing attributes.
We'll see what happens as the season goes on. A 34 Sh% is going to be hard to keep up.

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
Hall is nowhere close to Gaudreau. That's been my opinion for forever, but recent polls suggest the same.

That said, it would have been a tough call for me to move our best and only defensive defenseman.

Hall is a better possession driver and a one man army skating through the offensive zone. His blend of speed, vision, and passing ability is greater than Johnny G's. Give me Hall everyday of the week. Not long ago their was a poll on this forum and I believe Hall won in lopsided fashion.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Hall is a better possession driver and a one man army skating through the offensive zone. His blend of speed, vision, and passing ability is greater than Johnny G's. Give me Hall everyday of the week. Not long ago their was a poll on this forum and I believe Hall won in lopsided fashion.

Don't you know that Hall's being carried by his line mates? I mean he's being centered by an 18 year old rookie and has had a 19 year old rookie and the amazing Drew Stafford step in during Palmieri's absence. This compared to Gaudreau who is obviously carrying Monahan and Ferland (who Whisky just made a thread about calling him "one of the best power forwards in the league").
Reading whisky's posts about Ferland you'd think that Gaudreau is the one being carried by great line mates.
As you've said Hall is an absolute beast and has carried everyone he plays with. (let's not forget his down year was on a new team and after an injury).

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I remember looking at the NJ roster and feeling sorry for them just a couple of seasons ago. Now they’re one of the most exciting teams in the league while Buffalo still sucks. Now I just feel sorry for myself.

My3Sons

Sponsor
We'll see what happens as the season goes on. A 34 Sh% is going to be hard to keep up.

Absolutely, but his assists will probably go up to some extent, and if he finishes with 20 goals total and maybe 15 assists, it's a very successful season for him. He was signed to a stop gap deal so no one expected really anything from him. This isn't about him being more than he is, just that players like him can have relative success where before the game changed as it has in the past few years, guys like him had no chance. He's no second liner, but he is a legit bottom six NHLer at least which I attribute to the change in the game more so than anything he did to change his game from last year to this year.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
They also had a healthy McDavid for the whole season, that's kind of important.

My3Sons

Sponsor
You are so right about them.

What Shero has done in the last few years is unbelievable. The trades for Hall, Johansson, and Palmieri added three top six forwards while only giving up Larsson and four picks (no firsts... and two picks that weren't even ours!). He and Hynes played a huge role in getting Butcher to sign here which is paying off big time. Drafting Nico was a no brainer... but Bratt was a great find in the sixth round and he's contributing a lot already. He had faith in Gibbons which has paid off. Every single Devils fan was scratching their heads trying to figure out why he made the opening night roster... and he leads the team in goals. He signed J. Moore which has paid off. Moore's first two years here were career years... he's on pace to have another career year not to mention his overtime success.

While we all take craps on coach Hynes every now and then... when the team plays well, it has his stamp all over it. The system he preaches is beautiful when it works. The last three games (Bos, Van, Det) were three of the best games of the season in terms of full team play. You can't look away from the TV when you watch the Devils... even on the penalty kill because they are absolutely relentless and could create chances at any moment. This team is very young and has a bright future... the success is way ahead of schedule. We are lacking 1-2 stud d-men... but Shero can pull the trigger on a lopsided trade at any time as he has been doing here...

These comments aren't to take anything away from other teams that have turned it around. The Leafs have done a great job in the past couple of years with the draft and understanding the more modern NHL. EDM has some depth issues to work out, but has the luxury of long term deals with its two mainstay players to figure it out. WPG is finally starting to see the fruits of its excellent drafting and VAN looks to have light at the end of the tunnel as well. This is about NJ finally brushing off the old NHL ways of an unfettered Lou. In TOR he is part of the braintrust and as such, bring great experience and insight. In NJ he was almost the entire braintrust and he seemed to lose touch with the way the league was headed. I think this is mostly about hope that the team has a brighter tomorrow. Look at the VAN fans last season when things seemed bleak. Now that some of the young players look good and they are excited about the prospect pool they have developed hope as well. Same for TOR fans before last season and even for WPG fans in the early part of this season.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
These comments aren't to take anything away from other teams that have turned it around. The Leafs have done a great job in the past couple of years with the draft and understanding the more modern NHL. EDM has some depth issues to work out, but has the luxury of long term deals with its two mainstay players to figure it out. WPG is finally starting to see the fruits of its excellent drafting and VAN looks to have light at the end of the tunnel as well. This is about NJ finally brushing off the old NHL ways of an unfettered Lou. In TOR he is part of the braintrust and as such, bring great experience and insight. In NJ he was almost the entire braintrust and he seemed to lose touch with the way the league was headed. I think this is mostly about hope that the team has a brighter tomorrow. Look at the VAN fans last season when things seemed bleak. Now that some of the young players look good and they are excited about the prospect pool they have developed hope as well. Same for TOR fans before last season and even for WPG fans in the early part of this season.

That was the big problem with Lou. We all love the guy and appreciate what he did for this franchise up until 2012... but once Kovy, Clarkson, and Parise were leaving, he refused to understand that this team's window was closed. He kept signing cheap grinders and role players who couldn't score. He kept buying at deadlines and wasting assets. Drafting also completely collapsed. This team couldn't develop a player for anything. It's just astonishing how quick Shero has turned things around.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00