Is NJ one of the most improved offences in recent memory?

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Adding one of the weaker 1st overall picks in recent memory and a couple of undersized wingers does not make New Jersey relevant. You'll regress as expected.

As for trades? Gardiner/Lupul for Beauchemin, JVR for Schenn, Hyman for McKegg, Pickard for scraps, Rychel for Harrington.

Successful FA signings? Zaitsev, Bozak, Soshnikov, Marleau, Borgman

Late round picks? Brown, Komarov, Leivo

All of whom are currently on the roster. The OP specifically asked for other teams with better single season improvements, but devils fans have to monopolize the discussion because this is their first good stretch of games in years.

Gardiner/Lupul for Beauchemin - That trade was made 6 YEARS AGO. Completely irrelevant to a change from last year to this year in terms of improvement.

JVR for Schenn - Another old trade, 5 years ago. Again, not really relevant to improvement in the last 2 years.

Pickard for scraps - Not really any trade worth mentioning. You traded away scraps for... a #3/4G.

The Bozak signing was 4 years ago, and made by a completely different front office.

Soshnikov - He's played 59 games in 2 seasons and has 9 points... how is this 'improving' your team?

And finally, let's get this straight.

A team (Devils) that should have had no business being any good when the season started is playing very well, and people talk about it. The fans of the team are, as would be expected, excited and talking about it, as well as fans of other teams. There are maybe five total threads about the Devils in the first four pages. Considering the number of Devils fans who often post in the NHL Talk forum and the amount of talk about this team, and how bad they've been the last few years, it's hard to blame our fans for being vocal about how good the team has been.

Conversely, a number of Leaf fans come into these threads (and threads about other teams as well) and take steaming dumps on the Devils and their fans, basically saying that it's nothing worth talking about... but every day we see threads like "Auston Matthews has white runners with green laces" "*insert Leafs player here* is the best player in the world not named Matthews/Marner" "If each Leaf was a condiment..." "Check out this replay of a Leafs player making a routine play" and the threads go on for hundreds of posts.

It's almost like some Leafs fans can't take the fact that they aren't the center of attention and try to poo-poo every other team's successes as lesser than theirs.

Some people need to take a step back and, I dunno, let us enjoy our moment of fun and excitement that the Devils are playing fun hockey, and that there's threads that don't revolve around "Devils are old/slow/killing hockey" or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
What's funny is someone calling Nico one of the weakest first overall. Dude is on pace for 61 points this year.

Matthews had 69 points in his first year.

Mckinnon had 64 in his rookie year. Yakupov was on pace for 54 points. RNH was on pace for 68 points. Taylor Hall was on pace for 53 points.

But people keep on overstating how he's one of the weakest first overall in recent drafts. He still has to learn a lot, but he provide very good 2 way play.

Here we go leafs fans bring it on.
That is funny, because "on pace for" means very little, especially after 25 games. Of those names you mentioned, Hischier is closer to the RNH's of the grouping than the Matthews/MacKinnon's, which is precisely why he's considered a "weaker" first overall pick.

Gardiner/Lupul for Beauchemin - That trade was made 6 YEARS AGO. Completely irrelevant to a change from last year to this year in terms of improvement.

JVR for Schenn - Another old trade, 5 years ago. Again, not really relevant to improvement in the last 2 years.

Pickard for scraps - Not really any trade worth mentioning. You traded away scraps for... a #3/4G.

The Bozak signing was 4 years ago, and made by a completely different front office.

Soshnikov - He's played 59 games in 2 seasons and has 9 points... how is this 'improving' your team?

And finally, let's get this straight.

A team (Devils) that should have had no business being any good when the season started is playing very well, and people talk about it. The fans of the team are, as would be expected, excited and talking about it, as well as fans of other teams. There are maybe five total threads about the Devils in the first four pages. Considering the number of Devils fans who often post in the NHL Talk forum and the amount of talk about this team, and how bad they've been the last few years, it's hard to blame our fans for being vocal about how good the team has been.

Conversely, a number of Leaf fans come into these threads (and threads about other teams as well) and take steaming dumps on the Devils and their fans, basically saying that it's nothing worth talking about... but every day we see threads like "Auston Matthews has white runners with green laces" "*insert Leafs player here* is the best player in the world not named Matthews/Marner" "If each Leaf was a condiment..." "Check out this replay of a Leafs player making a routine play" and the threads go on for hundreds of posts.

It's almost like some Leafs fans can't take the fact that they aren't the center of attention and try to poo-poo every other team's successes as lesser than theirs.

Some people need to take a step back and, I dunno, let us enjoy our moment of fun and excitement that the Devils are playing fun hockey, and that there's threads that don't revolve around "Devils are old/slow/killing hockey" or something like that.
It's entirely relevant as nearly every single one of those players is on the team today, and that poster implied that the Leafs have yet to win a meaningful trade/signing.

OP asked: "can you remember a team who added more talent to their offence (or defence for discussion sake) in one off-season?"

God forbid any Leaf fan answers that question or provides legitimate evidence of a team that has improved just as much or more in that time span because, well, it's the Leafs and only other fanbases are allowed to "enjoy their moment of fun and excitement" (as you put it). After all, the Devils four or five years of gloom compares to the Leafs decade of suffering.

Reactions: naruto

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Probably wouldn't have gotten Nico if they did. I'm still hopeful that Zacha pans out.

Yeah, Nico and Zacha really should be looked at as a package deal. Without Zacha, they most likely don't get the draft lottery luck of landing Nico. Still lots of time for Zacha to reach his potential, but obviously at this point Werenski, Provorov or Barzal would've been the pick.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Leaf fans.... You guys hijack just about every thread on this main board. 1.2 years of a DECENT team and you guys have anointed yourselves the judge and jury on everyone else's teams and players.

Ray Shero has completely rebuilt this team's offense through trades/drafting/and signings.

No one is saying the Devils are going to win the cup this year. Hell, it remains to be seen if we'll even make the playoffs. While it's been a fantastic start, the team can only win one goal games lately and the point gap between first place and not being in the playoffs is not that much. We need Johansson and Palmieri to get back from injury (Mojo within a week and Palmieri in 3-5 weeks). Schneider and Kinkaid have to be on top of their game at all times because this D group WILL give up a lot of shots and chances every game.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Devils fans have a knack for embarrassing themselves on HF. Adding one of the weaker 1st overall picks in recent memory and a couple of undersized wingers does not make New Jersey relevant. You'll regress as expected.

As for trades? Gardiner/Lupul for Beauchemin, JVR for Schenn, Hyman for McKegg, Pickard for scraps, Rychel for Harrington.

Successful FA signings? Zaitsev, Bozak, Soshnikov, Marleau, Borgman

Late round picks? Brown, Komarov, Leivo

All of whom are currently on the roster. The OP specifically asked for other teams with better single season improvements, but devils fans have to monopolize the discussion because this is their first good stretch of games in years.

hmmm, its almost like the Leafs were bad for a decade and Leafs fans don't know how to deal with now being "good".....

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
I think he'll end up a poor man's Zubrus. Not an awful player but picking 6th in that loaded of a draft, you'd hope to get more than that. I questioned the pick since day 1 (wanted Barzal) and have been massacred by many of my fellow devils fans for doing so. Apparently I'm "not a devils fan" for disagreeing with the Zacha and McLeod picks. . .
Once again you’re not a devils fan because you do literally nothing but trash the team. That’s why nobody on the devils board takes anything you post seriously. Good ty though. “Oh woe is me!”

And you making a few good posts about Hall and Bratt this season doesn’t replace your very long history and MO. I’ll never forget “Hall made the offense worse”

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
That is funny, because "on pace for" means very little, especially after 25 games. Of those names you mentioned, Hischier is closer to the RNH's of the grouping than the Matthews/MacKinnon's, which is precisely why he's considered a "weaker" first overall pick.

It's entirely relevant as nearly every single one of those players is on the team today, and that poster implied that the Leafs have yet to win a meaningful trade/signing.

OP asked: "can you remember a team who added more talent to their offence (or defence for discussion sake) in one off-season?"

God forbid any Leaf fan answers that question or provides legitimate evidence of a team that has improved just as much or more in that time span because, well, it's the Leafs and only other fanbases are allowed to "enjoy their moment of fun and excitement" (as you put it). After all, the Devils four or five years of gloom compares to the Leafs decade of suffering.

While many of your points are valid, dismissing Hischier the way you have based solely on a points basis suggests you have not watched him play to any great extent. I'm not saying he's better than Matthews, or even as good, just that you have given him short shrift if you have already consigned Hischier to the group of "weak" first overall picks.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I don't give a crap who started it. Every thread gets hijacked at certain points.... but Leaf fans check every single thread on this board to see where they can input their opinions and their current illusion of supremacy.

Isn't awful having a fanbase that wants to discuss and argue on a board meant for discussion and arguements?

Wouldn't it be better if every forum was more like the Devils forum, where a thread might be on the front page for weeks at a time without being bumped off?

Not to be an ass, but feverish fans from Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg, Chicago, Boston...etc annoying as they may be, are what keep forums like this alive and worth visiting. If you truly want just prospect info, there are blogs, podcasts and articles by professionals without all the fan input.

Reactions: naruto

135ace

Mar 18, 2015

I agree that on pace means little, but that doesn't mean "let's just judge him based off of his pre-draft hype, or lack of it" as you seem to do. If you had watched Nico at all this season you'd realize that it's pretty much a sure thing that he'll far surpass RNH.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Isn't awful having a fanbase that wants to discuss and argue on a board meant for discussion and arguements?

Wouldn't it be better if every forum was more like the Devils forum, where a thread might be on the front page for weeks at a time without being bumped off?

Not to be an ass, but feverish fans from Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg, Chicago, Boston...etc annoying as they may be, are what keep forums like this alive and worth visiting. If you truly want just prospect info, there are blogs, podcasts and articles by professionals without all the fan input.

nice shot at the Devils' fanbase there.

NOT that this means anything, but here are the post total leaders on this site from the Metro:

Rangers
Penguins
Devils
Flyers
Islanders
Capitals
Hurricanes
Blue Jackets

the Devils' forum has nearly 300k more posts than the Blackhawks forum does on this site.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space

NOT that this means anything, but here are the post total leaders on this site from the Metro:

Rangers
Penguins
Devils
Flyers
Islanders
Capitals
Hurricanes
Blue Jackets

the Devils' forum has nearly 300k more posts than the Blackhawks forum does on this site.

Facts? Reason? Logic?

not on MY HFBoards

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Rangers
Penguins
Devils
Flyers
Islanders
Capitals
Hurricanes
Blue Jackets

Are you proud have having a more active fanbase than Islanders, Hurricanes and Blue Jackets?

The fact that you have more than Chicago doesn't change anything. Devils fans will start to get the same bad rep other fans do of successful teams.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Once again you’re not a devils fan because you do literally nothing but trash the team. That’s why nobody on the devils board takes anything you post seriously. Good ty though. “Oh woe is me!”

And you making a few good posts about Hall and Bratt this season doesn’t replace your very long history and MO. I’ll never forget “Hall made the offense worse”
There's a difference between trashing the team and disagreeing with decisions.

You are the perfect example of what I came to hate about the devils board. "You can't be a devils fan if you disagree with management decisions". That type of sheepish group think is unbearable. It must kill you that I was right about Zacha and Barzal lol.

I'm sorry if you are unable to read, but that's not on me. I make positive comments all the time. Go read the Jesper Bratt thread lol. Or threads I've created . . . "Palmieri is a top 10 RW". It's pathetic to see you flat out ignore those threads because it doesn't fit your narrative.

I also never said that Hall made our offense worse, my argument was that losing Larsson in exchange for Hall gave us no improvement in our ability to score. That has less to do with Hall and more to do with us spending a lot more time hemmed in our own zone. Hard to score from there.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Are you proud have having a more active fanbase than Islanders, Hurricanes and Blue Jackets?

The fact that you have more than Chicago doesn't change anything. Devils fans will start to get the same bad rep other fans do of successful teams.
I hope in hell you're not including the Leafs as successful because LOL

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I also never said that Hall made our offense worse, my argument was that losing Larsson in exchange for Hall gave us no improvement in our ability to score. That has less to do with Hall and more to do with us spending a lot more time hemmed in our own zone. Hard to score from there.

which is wrong.

Reactions: Peanut

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Devils fans have always been very active contributors on HF. There was actually once a time where the collective group of Devils fans were seen as some of the best on the forums - and this was back when they were a consistent playoff team. So you're assumption that we'll get a bad rep when we become successful is completely false.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad