Is Nicklas Backstrom a hall of famer?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Lacking hardware and even a single 2nd team All-star, I’d say yes Backstrom is going to be comfortably in.

Never really having an elite season considered one of the top few players at his position. Yet Backstrom’s consistent high level production over a now 14 year career at just under a PPG is very impressive compared to his peer group, and enough for the HHoF in my opinion.

Reactions: Slimmy and txpd

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Is there a source that says backstrom has asked the media not to vote for him for the hart trophy?

Among Capitals fans its common knowledge that he doesnt want anything to do with those programs. You dont have to believe me. He has played in one all star game and during that time it came out that he turns down all star games. Again, this is the 5th highest scoring player since 07-08 and the assist leader. You think 1 all star game makes any sense?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Among Capitals fans its common knowledge that he doesnt want anything to do with those programs. You dont have to believe me. He has played in one all star game and during that time it came out that he turns down all star games. Again, this is the 5th highest scoring player since 07-08 and the assist leader. You think 1 all star game makes any sense?
All star game makes sense because players would rather rest and get healthy.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Good 2 way player that cleaned up for one of the biggest floaters in NHL history

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
No good? In the run of his career only Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin and Kane have scored more than him. He leads in assists. He's no good?

Oh, one more thing. Trophy voting and all star and such are built on major pr campaigns from the teams. You know this. You may not know that Backstrom tells the team not to do that for him. He turns down all star games. He doesnt want the attention.
Going to call BS on this. It makes no sense when stuff like Hart voting and All Star voting would potentially end up in contract negotiations. What year should Backstrom have gotten better All Star voting?

In 09-10 Backstrom was 4th in points for All Star voting he finished behind Sedin and Crosby who had more points than him, and narrowly behind Stamkos who just won the Rocket with 6 less points.

In 16-17 Backstrom was also 4th in points he finished behind McDavid and Crosby for All star voting with both of them edging him in points and having a decent gap in ppg.

Maybe 14-15 you could argue 6th is low but even then Seguin was 5th in voting with 1 less point but missed 10 games, Stamkos 4th with 5 less point but was 2nd in goals.

What seasons should he have garnered better Hart voting results? In 09-10 he is 8 points behind Ovi who played 10 less games, as well as a ppg defensemen. He just isn't in a position to get much Hart support that year. 16-17 you can definitely argue he could have finished better than 9th but anything that is top 5 is a stretch. He is going to be behind McDavid, Crosby, Burns, Karlsson, and Bobrovsky.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
One of the most underrated players of his generation, Backstrom should absolutely be in the hall.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
He wouldn't be in my HOF, but the NHL has set the bar so low that it wouldn't surprise me in the least. 1 AS appearance, a Cup, and consistency. Pretty sure that's it. He'll pass 1000 points though, which seems to be the magic number. He'd be a perfect candidate for the Hall of Very Good

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Probably if he didn't take cold medication that one time.

But I actually think he will get in he has been the motor for the caps and ovie for like a decade .

jalidi

Apr 5, 2012
He's putting up 40-50 assists a season, and still has five or six left in him.

He'll probably get to 300 goals and 1000 assists in what was relatively a low scoring era.

Plus he has a Cup, he'll get in.

Jun 15, 2007
He's getting in for sure. 100%. Not even an interesting question for me.

An interesting one is Marleau. Not as good as Backstrom, doesn't have a cup but might get in just because he was a ghost on the 4th line for a few years doing nothing but accruing GP so he can break the record.

He shouldn't get in but probably will.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Yes, he's no doubt an HHoFer

re: the idea that the NHL has "set the bar low" for the HHoF, have they? or has the game evolved in a way that makes being a "true HHoFer" needlessly difficult?

Teams are from top to bottom significantly better than they were 25, 20, even 10 years ago. Bottom 6s now have legit NHL players with specialized roles, bottom pair D have significant roles as shutdown players and in extreme situations. NHL goaltending is so f***ing good that most teams have a goalie that can at least win a couple of rounds at this point. The talent leap in the NHL keeps getting larger every year, where teams are absolutely loaded relative to even 5 years ago. It's become very difficult to continually stand out as a star because it's become very difficult to just consistently beat the shit out of teams on the scoreboard like it was for most of hockey history. The talent levels of teams, and the evolution of the rulebook (or, more accurately, the devolution) makes it so even the most electric players can just disappear for times.

Knowing this, we should rightfully acknowledge that consistency and long term success has become more important to player evaluation than insane peaks and, in some cases, individual hardware. The best goalie in the world from the lockout through at least 2016 has one vezina trophy and no cups. Backstrom leads the league in assists since 2008. How is that not HHoF worthy?

If HF had their way, the only HHoFers from this era would be Crosby, Toews, Kane, Ovechkin, Malkin, McDavid, Draisaitl, Kucherov, Doughty, and Hedman. Might as well skip a few years of voting to make them happy.

Reactions: wetcoast

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
All star game makes sense because players would rather rest and get healthy.

You just have to have enough experience with this player. Nothing is on top to see. After the Caps won the cup Trotz said that the player that took the president's trophy teams flameouts the hardest was Backstrom. That he was broken and distraught. If you missed that clip, I am certain you had never heard that before and had no idea. I mean, seriously, how much do you know about the guy? You know that his game while often spectacular had no flair to it at all. He has no on ice personality except that he has no on ice personality. He never does anything to draw attention to himself. That is key to everything he does and is a reason he is so underrated and so under the radar. Example. Below is one of the most ridiculous passes I have ever seen. It comes back to the ice in the exact spot that Ovechkin shoots it. Yet, all the attention goes to Ovechkin. Might be he is the only player that could have scored that pass, but watch Backstrom. Its a couple stick handles and a turn of the shoulder and a slight move of the wrist. If you arent totally focused you miss the play entirely. Also he makes that play with a broken hand.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He is currently 50th in assists. The only players above him not in the hall are Damphousse and Weight. Backstrom will likely pass both of them this next season. He should retire in the top 20 with around 900 assists. Not sure what you are thinking if you are thinking that a guy 20th on the all time assists list isnt a hall of famer

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Lack of individual hardware hurts his case, but his production is hard to look past. If he plays long enough and keeps accumulating, I think he’ll sneak in during a weaker selection year.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sanchise90

Sep 6, 2019
yeah looks like his highest Hart voting is 9th and it happened 2 times.
only getting Hart votes 2 years out of 14 is also not a great look. His stat line is also not overly impressive when you consider that he's had the greatest pure goal scorer ever stapled to his wing for nearly his entire career. He should be well over a point per

I feel like we're super selective when it comes to awards voting and noms as it relates to players on this site. Like people are:
- Jerking themselves off to MAF as a HOFer with only one top 3 Vezina finish
- Think Shea Weber is a borderline HOFer for not winning a Norris but finishing in the Top 5 countless times
- Think Backstrom isn't one because of his award voting finishes

I'm a "small hall" guy, so I'm fine with Backstrom not getting in for lack of award finishes (not even wins, finishes). I just wish we applied the same proponents across the board cause it gets confusing why one argument matters for one guy but not another...

Reactions: wetcoast

Sanchise90

Sep 6, 2019
He is currently 50th in assists. The only players above him not in the hall are Damphousse and Weight. Backstrom will likely pass both of them this next season. He should retire in the top 20 with around 900 assists. Not sure what you are thinking if you are thinking that a guy 20th on the all time assists list isnt a hall of famer

I dunno if this is the best argument cause Pierre Turgeon is 32nd and Turgeon actually has a top 5 Hart nomination on his resume...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I dunno if this is the best argument cause Pierre Turgeon is 32nd and Turgeon actually has a top 5 Hart nomination on his resume...

During the arc of his career Turgeon was 9th in points and 10th in assists. Backstrom sits 5th and 1st. There is a significant difference

Reactions: Neil Racki

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
He’s 4th in points since he entered the league. I’d say he’s a lock. Especially given his international record as well.
Nhl.com has him 5th from 07-08 to 20-21 behind Malkin, Kane, Crosby and Ovi. Even if it is a little cherry picked I doubt there are any other examples of a player being 5th in points, or 1st in assists over a 14 year period not making it into the HHoF.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Since his career began he's 5th in points, 1st in assists. People also seem to discount international play, despite the fact that it all counts. He's won the world championship, the Gregarian Cup, Stanley Cup, and silver at the Olympics.

His game should also age well, goals aside. I think he'll be in and rightfully so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad