Is Nicklas Backstrom a hall of famer?

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Gut reaction is he is not a HOFer, but if he amasses enough numbers he may have a shot. I usually like to go with my gut reaction though

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I am curious. In the Crosby Ovechkin era what hardware should he have gotten?

Lots of other players at that level took home hardware in this era though. Perry, H.Sedin and Hall won Hart trophies. St.Louis, Benn, and both Sedins won Art Rosses. D.Sedin won a Lindsay. I don't think it's a case of "should" for a player like Backstrom, as timing and having an "everything going right" season are huge factors for non-Crosby/Ovechkin level players, but having that award peak certainly helps a player. Using Henrik Sedin as an example, Backstrom has had more good seasons as a number 1C at this point, and will likely pass him in points, but I'd say Henrik would be more likely to make the hall if we were to give them odds, mainly due to his Art Ross and Hart. Backstrom has a good chance of getting in anyway, but a season like that would make him that much more likely.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I don't get this post. What's that have to do with anything?

I think Backstrom will probably get in. Less so for peak/accomplishments than for consistency/longevity, but he's borderline. But Ovechkin hitting 895 or not has no real bearing on Backstrom's status as a hall of famer.

At least if you had said something relevant like 'if he wins one more cup' it could make sense.

You don’t think it will be considered if he helps Ovechkin break one of Gretzky’s most famous records?

He assisted on 45% of all Ovechkin goals in his career.

If and when Ovechkin gets to 895, there will be a note saying that Nicklas Backstrom assisted on an astonishing 403 of Ovechkin’s 895 goals. He will be known as the playmaker behind the best goal scorer of all time and the guy who made it possible for Ovechkin to break the record.

Reactions: tilly123123

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Lots of other players at that level took home hardware in this era though. Perry, H.Sedin and Hall won Hart trophies. St.Louis, Benn, and both Sedins won Art Rosses. D.Sedin won a Lindsay. I don't think it's a case of "should" for a player like Backstrom, as timing and having an "everything going right" season are huge factors for non-Crosby/Ovechkin level players, but having that award peak certainly helps a player. Using Henrik Sedin as an example, Backstrom has had more good seasons as a number 1C at this point, and will likely pass him in points, but I'd say Henrik would be more likely to make the hall if we were to give them odds, mainly due to his Art Ross and Hart. Backstrom has a good chance of getting in anyway, but a season like that would make him that much more likely.

The basic fact is that Backstrom is never going to outscore Ovechkin. Has Malkin won hardware in a season Crosby played a full season?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
For whatever reason I thought 5 top 10 point finishes wasn't HoF worthy, but 5 second research shows otherwise. That's equal to or more than guys like St. Louis (5), Giroux (4), Marchand (4), Kessel (4), Datsyuk (3), Heatley (3), Alfredsson (3), Getzlaf (3), Staal (2), Zetterberg (2), Perry (2), Spezza (2), Kopitar (1), Toews (0), Bergeron (0).

You also have Thornton and Kane with 6. What hurts Backstrom is the lack of individual accolade. No Hart noms, no post season all star team, not even a feel good story like Toews. An incredibly phlegmatic career.

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Easily makes it, that cup win solidified his case.

980 points in 1011 games, won't be surprised if he ends his career over 1200. If not for lockout/shortened years he'd be at 1100 by now.

top 10 in scoring over the past 10 years. 1 point behind Kessel, 2 behind Wheeler with significantly fewer games played. Easily a first ballot HOFer and easily the most under rated player in the game.

Last edited:

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I get in HHOF conversations a few times lately as that generation starts winding down. I think Backstrom will get in but there's a lot of competition in that general age group. So it kinda depends on when guys retire. From '03 to '08 drafts with 2-4 recent players getting in per year.

Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, P. Kane, Keith, Bergeron - are 1st ballot.
Toews, Stamkos, Doughty, Kopitar - are right behind them

That's already 10 guys. Then you get into the weeds.

Karlsson, Getzlaf, Weber, E. Staal, Perry (hardware and international)

The goalies - Price, Rask, Fleury

Then there's other guys who still have a shot.
Kessel, Burns,, Letang, Giroux, Marchand, Suter,
Benn won The Hart.
Bobrovsky
Pavelski, Krejci, Wheeler, Pietrangelo, J. Carter ... long shots but still going strong.

I'm sure I've missed a few. All I mean is that it's going to be a crowded field with a lot of competition once these guys start hanging up their skates.
There's going to be some great players that either don't get in or wait quite awhile.

Randyne

May 20, 2012
He assisted on 45% of all Ovechkin goals in his career.
From where did you get this number?
Ovechkin scored 730 goals.
Backstrom primary assisted 134 goals and 135 were secondary assists.
So overall Backstrom assisted 269 goals which is only 36.8% (not 45%)

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
Not that it matters for this thread, but the Sedins will both make the HOH . And, yes. that’s because of hardware to a large extent. Arguments like “If you let x in then y, z …..and … could also get in.” Just doesn’t work. Open the door for players with an Art Ross and a Hart / Lindsay won’t make it particularly crowded.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I see no reason to keep him out based on who is In.

I mean it seems everyone is putting MAF in now and I think that is weak

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I see no reason to keep him out based on who is In.

I mean it seems everyone is putting MAF in now and I think that is weak
3 Cup wins, and will likely be top-3 in wins, playoff wins, shutouts, and playoff shutouts. He's currently already 3rd in wins, 4th in playoff wins, 3rd in playoff shutouts. He's currently 15th in regular season shutouts, but 10 more would bring him into the top 10, and 20 more would bring him to 4th.

That's "weak" to you?

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Yes. He's going to finish with well over 1000 points and has a Cup. And he's the linemate of the greatest goal-scorer of all-time. He's getting in for sure, maybe 1st ballot.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think in conclusion, after reading the thread and everyone's perpsective and supporting evidence, NICKLAS BACKSTROM IS DEFINITELY GOING TO BE A HALL OF FAMER (regardless of whether some people don't like it)

conclusion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->