Is Nicklas Backstrom a hall of famer?

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
You just have to have enough experience with this player. Nothing is on top to see. After the Caps won the cup Trotz said that the player that took the president's trophy teams flameouts the hardest was Backstrom. That he was broken and distraught. If you missed that clip, I am certain you had never heard that before and had no idea. I mean, seriously, how much do you know about the guy? You know that his game while often spectacular had no flair to it at all. He has no on ice personality except that he has no on ice personality. He never does anything to draw attention to himself. That is key to everything he does and is a reason he is so underrated and so under the radar. Example. Below is one of the most ridiculous passes I have ever seen. It comes back to the ice in the exact spot that Ovechkin shoots it. Yet, all the attention goes to Ovechkin. Might be he is the only player that could have scored that pass, but watch Backstrom. Its a couple stick handles and a turn of the shoulder and a slight move of the wrist. If you arent totally focused you miss the play entirely. Also he makes that play with a broken hand.

This pass is a Hall of Fame pass, maybe the best pass I've ever witnessed. Being behind OV, Crosby, Malkin, and Kane doesn't make him "pretty good" it makes him elite. He has more assists than Crosby since he's been in the league. This isn't even up for debate. Nether is Shea Weber. Both are in, and deservingly so.

Reactions: Slimmy and txpd

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
if he's in, Giroux's in tbh

Yeah, he's Giroux with a better linemate and a ring. The ultimate "really really good, but Hall of Fame? Like, the Hall of Fame?"

But guys go in every year, and around the time these guys become eligible, there might not be too many other options. You'll do the Penguins boys, the Chicago trio, Ovi, a King or two, and then what? They're two of the top 10 scorers of their era. That's probably enough at this point.

I think both Giroux and Backstrom find their way in at that juncture and a bunch of people bitch about it, but not too enthusiastically. They're pretty similar players who will both hit 1,000 points--figure Backstrom probably goes out with 1200 or so and Claude just kinda gets 1k and change. They even vaguely look alike, in a very-distant-cousins sorta way.

Last edited:

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
He prob gets in but if he didn't I woudnt notice or care. Backstrom is really good for a long time however not a top top player.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
Lmao at the people saying he wouldn't get in. Being 2nd on the all time scoring list for his country, the highest assist totals of his generation and being a part of both sustained individual performance and sustained team success that culminated in a championship, not to mention all his international performances, makes him a lock to get in.

You can argue whether he is first ballot or not, but I think many people on this board confuse being a surefire first ballot guy with being "worthy" as if the Hall of Fame was Thor's hammer, myself included. Someone earlier said he was the Adam Oates of his generation and that's a pretty spot on description, if you feel Adam Oates is worthy of being in the Hall then Backstrom is a first ballot guy. Even if he isn't first ballot he will get in eventually, if he doesn't then we're only going to have 7 forwards and like 2 defensemen in total making the Hall in a roughly 10 year span coming up here.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Since Backstrom entered the league he is 5th in points. Hes more than a 100 points ahead of the next in his draft class.

Ovechkin - 1122 points
Crosby - 1103 points
Kane - 1088 points
Malkin - 1019 points
Backstrom - 980 points
Kopitar - 939 points
Getzlaf - 885 points
Kessel - 875 points
Thornton - 869 points
Stamkos - 866 points

06 draft class
Backstrom - 980
Kessel - 875
Giroux - 858
Toews - 815
Marchand - 715
Lucic - 544

(Best players in other positions Varlamov, E. Johnson, Petry)

With 4 players at maximum entering its hard to make a case for Backstrom not going to the hall of fame. Toews will probably get in because of all the selke and leadership hype and Chicago winning 3 times. Giroux behind Backstrom might get in. Marchand is interesting as he was a late bloomer, but right now he is the best player, but he will need to produce for several years to make up for his slow start. Kessel have won cups and must have been very close to winning the smythe. Still he would probably be 4th or 5th on my list from the 06 draft.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
You know that his game while often spectacular had no flair to it at all.
I remember when Hartley was coaching the Flames, he basically described Backstrom as a "Supercomputer, in the frame of a fridge, and put on skates". Like, he makes the right play all the time, but it's also hard to think of a time where he really stood out doing it. He just plays smart and simple.

Reactions: Slimmy

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Aren't there 2 players named Nick Backstrom that played in the NHL? Are they related by any chance?
Ah you are new but when anyone has the same name the joke is they are related like the two sebastian ahos or whomever if their name isn't sutter, howe ,espisito,hull or stastneys they probably aren't related

Edit add Staal because there are three brothers still playing even tho two could retire real soon

But you basically have to do your own research because any time someone with the same name shows up people will call them related as a joke

Last edited:

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Pro:

5th in poins since entering the league, only behind Ovechkin, Crosby, Kane and Malkin.

Has a Cup.

Con:

No individual awards.

Will probably get in but will have to wait a few years.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yeah, he's Giroux with a better linemate and a ring. The ultimate "really really good, but Hall of Fame? Like, the Hall of Fame?"

But guys go in every year, and around the time these guys become eligible, there might not be too many other options. You'll do the Penguins boys, the Chicago trio, Ovi, a King or two, and then what? They're two of the top 10 scorers of their era. That's probably enough at this point.

I think both Giroux and Backstrom find their way in at that juncture and a bunch of people bitch about it, but not too enthusiastically. They're pretty similar players who will both hit 1,000 points--figure Backstrom probably goes out with 1200 or so and Claude just kinda gets 1k and change. They even vaguely look alike, in a very-distant-cousins sorta way.

He is much more consistent than Giroux and his peak and prime are higher and longer.

As for Giroux I doubt he gets in just too many lows in his career for the HHOF and not enough of a peak or prime.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
If he is....Then KREJCI is a lock......Krejci had to play behind Bergeron...And never had the talent Backstrom has........Krejci is and was always better then Backstrom....

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Complete, elite two-way centreman who does everything well. One of the best at his position for nearly his entire career.

Backstrom is one of the most underrated and under appreciated players of this era.

Easy yes.
You just described David Krejci..........Also led the playoffs in scoring twice. Better passer then Backstrom....If he played with OV......whoa......

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think he’s borderline at the moment, but if he helps Ovechkin get to 895, he should get in no questions asked

I don't get this post. What's that have to do with anything?

I think Backstrom will probably get in. Less so for peak/accomplishments than for consistency/longevity, but he's borderline. But Ovechkin hitting 895 or not has no real bearing on Backstrom's status as a hall of famer.

At least if you had said something relevant like 'if he wins one more cup' it could make sense.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Among Capitals fans its common knowledge that he doesnt want anything to do with those programs. You dont have to believe me. He has played in one all star game and during that time it came out that he turns down all star games. Again, this is the 5th highest scoring player since 07-08 and the assist leader. You think 1 all star game makes any sense?

Dang .. did not know that.

Reactions: txpd

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Complete, elite two-way centreman who does everything well. One of the best at his position for nearly his entire career.

Backstrom is one of the most underrated and under appreciated players of this era.

Easy yes.

Came in to say this, I see it was already nailed.

Reactions: sparxx87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad