Is Nicklas Backstrom a hall of famer?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don’t have a strong opinion. In my head he seems kind of borderline but I can’t recall based on current standards if I’m off base here. Is he probably getting in or probably out?

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
He'll get in even though there was probably never a year in his career where he was considered one of the best at his position
What is his highest Hart voting? I know he's never even been close to being nominated for it, but did he ever finish Top 5 even once?

Being a 1C and never even reaching top 5 in Hart voting a single time in your career is no good.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He'll get in even though there was probably never a year in his career where he was considered one of the best at his position
What is his highest Hart voting? I know he's never even been close to being nominated for it, but did he ever finish Top 5 even once?
He finished top 10 a couple times

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Probably. Not the strongest or typical HoFer but there’s
worse and less accomplished players in there

I think the situation he fell into being a Washington Capital and playing alongside Ovechkin is a huge reason why. Doubt this would really be a question if he was drafted by Edmonton or Phoenix or most other teams

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
He finished top 10 a couple times
yeah looks like his highest Hart voting is 9th and it happened 2 times.
only getting Hart votes 2 years out of 14 is also not a great look. His stat line is also not overly impressive when you consider that he's had the greatest pure goal scorer ever stapled to his wing for nearly his entire career. He should be well over a point per

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Yes, and then the name should be changed to the hall of very good.

But at the end of the day it is the Hall of 'Fame.' Its not the Hall of Greatness. I guess we can debate what 'fame' implies. Lol.

Backstrom strikes me as one of those guys who won't get in once initially eligible but in a low year without a ton of competition he could wind up being one of the top 4.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think yes. Too consistent for too long. Never a top 5 player at any point but like, consistently a top center for 15, maybe more, years? 5 seasons at or above a PPG. A Cup. I think he gets in.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Being a 1C and never even reaching top 5 in Hart voting a single time in your career is no good.

No good? In the run of his career only Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin and Kane have scored more than him. He leads in assists. He's no good?

Oh, one more thing. Trophy voting and all star and such are built on major pr campaigns from the teams. You know this. You may not know that Backstrom tells the team not to do that for him. He turns down all star games. He doesnt want the attention.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
No good? In the run of his career only Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin and Kane have scored more than him. He leads in assists. He's no good?

Oh, one more thing. Trophy voting and all star and such are built on major pr campaigns from the teams. You know this. You may not know that Backstrom tells the team not to do that for him. He turns down all star games. He doesnt want the attention.
Is there a source that says backstrom has asked the media not to vote for him for the hart trophy?

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I do not think HOF'er when hearing his name.

But who knows these days

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Statistically he’s one of the most productive in the era bar none, and you have to be pretty dim to leave it to Hart votes with Ovechkin on the team.

Reactions: Slimmy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->