Is Mitchell Marner a top 10 NHLer this year?

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
What are you even talking about? Matthews boasts a better PPG than both of them, and has 19 goals in 24 games this Season. Get a grip.

Matthews is streaky and isn't consistent. Tavares and Marner are steady, reliable and consistent. I would take these 2 over Matthews right now to be honest...

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Matthews is streaky and isn't consistent. Tavares and Marner are steady, reliable and consistent. I would take these 2 over Matthews right now to be honest...

Tavares and Marner are steady because they have each other since day one of the season...if Nylander didn't hold out and started the season on time playing with Matthews (and he didn't get injured), I think Matthews would be more consistent. If you know your line mates well and have great chemistry, there's less thinking and more instinctive playing. I'm excited that the Leafs team hasn't peaked yet.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Tavares and Marner are steady because they have each other since day one of the season...if Nylander didn't hold out and started the season on time playing with Matthews (and he didn't get injured), I think Matthews would be more consistent. If you know your line mates well and have great chemistry, there's less thinking and more instinctive playing. I'm excited that the Leafs team hasn't peaked yet.

Yeah, this Leaf team aren't at their best right now but they are still playing very good hockey.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He is getting 10m

No, he won't.

Scoring is up league wide. Just two years ago only 7 players hit 82+ points. This year 40+ players are on pace to hit it. Marner has been amazing this season but he's not getting paid 10M. He will come above Draisaitl but below Kucherov.

~9M would be a good number on a long term deal.

Reactions: Menzinger

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
No, he won't.

Scoring is up league wide. Just two years ago only 7 players hit 82+ points. This year 40+ players are on pace to hit it. Marner has been amazing this season but he's not getting paid 10M. He will come above Draisaitl but below Kucherov.

I may be the first to have brought that argument here, but, Nylander made me think they aren't factoring that.

Marner is twice the player.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Mitch will be top 3 in scoring I think this year when all is done.

I actually thibk he will win the scoring title, his first, this year! I'm the only one saying it so likely i am being a little overboard.

Top 3 in scoring is kost likely more realistic :). I just think this consistency will continue and win innthe end over Ranty

Reactions: Bronxxx

Bronxxx

Dec 2, 2018
I actually thibk he will win the scoring title, his first, this year! I'm the only one saying it so likely i am being a little overboard.

Top 3 in scoring is kost likely more realistic :). I just think this consistency will continue and win innthe end over Ranty
Magic WILL win the scoring title!

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Nobody plays the wing like this guy in the league...throw out the usual caveats that wingers are less important than centers, in the case the narrative doesn't apply.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nobody plays the wing like this guy in the league...throw out the usual caveats that wingers are less important than centers, in the case the narrative doesn't apply here.
Mitch has always been a center. He just lines up as a winger now.

Reactions: diceman934

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
No, he won't.

He's still FIFTH in the entire league, so relatively your point is moot.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Gramps here. I have always looked at Mitch from his Clarington to Vaughan to Don Mills to London to Toronto days as a rover. Does not really have a position but roams ice where he is needed. Defensively he never has played a traditional centre role. Offensively he puts himself in position to make plays wherever that is on the ice. There has been no one I can remember who plays the game quite like Mitch. I say rover because he is not a traditional winger or a centre but he does line up for face-offs as a winger.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Taxes. It's why they take less in those states.

Only a fool believes that players under tax laws in Canada and probably the US pay personal tax rates. You never hear of Blue Jays or Raptors demanding premium pay for playing in Canada but somehow the tax experts on this site think it's an issue.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Only a fool believes that players under tax laws in Canada and probably the US pay personal tax rates. You never hear of Blue Jays or Raptors demanding premium pay for playing in Canada but somehow the tax experts on this site think it's an issue.

I just go by what I am hearing. It comes from the media as well and so I guess there are a lot of fools.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
It's funny to remember all of the hate us Leaf fans got comparing Marner to Gaudreau.
I'd say they're definitely comparable players now eh?

JG 38gp 51p
MM 38gp 53p

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I just go by what I am hearing. It comes from the media as well and so I guess there are a lot of fools.

Yes, they just see personal tax rates and think it's of any meaning. Players are incorporated, and especially high end earners certainly don't pay personal income tax. I know of one former NHLer...who make 14m over his 12 year career. He claims he never spend one dollar of his salary during his playing days. He was able to live....house/condo/wife/three kids on his auxiliary income as a hockey player. Apparently retired with a 50m incorporated assets.
But even if Marner did pay personal income tax, what does it have to do with Kucherov or the Lightning. It's not like Tampa has the cap is going to offer sheet Marner. Besides Marner can live in his parents basement just north of Toronto and live rent free.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yes, they just see personal tax rates and think it's of any meaning. Players are incorporated, and especially high end earners certainly don't pay personal income tax. I know of one former NHLer...who make 14m over his 12 year career. He claims he never spend one dollar of his salary during his playing days. He was able to live....house/condo/wife/three kids on his auxiliary income as a hockey player. Apparently retired with a 50m incorporated assets.
But even if Marner did pay personal income tax, what does it have to do with Kucherov or the Lightning. It's not like Tampa has the cap is going to offer sheet Marner. Besides Marner can live in his parents basement just north of Toronto and live rent free.

Some say that and others say it matters. Nobody seems to really know or be willing to say definitively. I read what you are saying and tend to agree but then guys are on TV and saying it goes the other way.

Who do we believe? Accountants have weighed in on this here as well and said it matters.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It is not an issue as I posted exactly the tax loop hole that allows a player to be tax at 15% federal tax which is at worse the same as players playing in Florida, Texas etc. The provincial tax is another issue with many ways to reduce your tax. As well all players are taxed based where they play their games as they pay tax in each state they play in.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad