Is Mitchell Marner a top 10 NHLer this year?

Bronxxx

Dec 2, 2018
Just musing if the 4th best Leaf, behind Reilly, Matthews and Tavares can crack the Top 10.
Especially considering the competition: MacKinnon. Malkin, Eichel, Scheifele, Pastrnak, Crosby, Kucherov, Rantanen, Stamkos, Ovechkin. I don’t think he gets the recognition as a top 10. In my books he is a top 10 exciting player I’d pay to watch maybe top 3. He is quick and has great vision and determination. What say you?

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
>Malkin

Lol no, not even close this year

>Pasta

LOLWUT, I don't think so. Put Marner next to Bergeron and and Marchand and see what he does, hint he has done more than Pasta with just JT and Hyman.

>Stamkos

Again what???? Are we talking prime Stankos who was an absolute top 3 nhl player and a beast or current Stamkos? Stamkos doesn't touch Marner

>Eichel

One good year and all of a sudden he's better? No thanks, Marner has been better than Eichel every year of his career, including this one

The only people ahead of Marner are McDavid, Rantanen, Mac, Kucherov and maybe...maybe still Crosby. After that when you factor in age, linemates and TOI, he's EASILY a top 10 player.

Mar 26, 2010
Marner is top tier. He is on pace for well over 100 points.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Just musing if the 4th best Leaf, behind Reilly, Matthews and Tavares can crack the Top 10.
Especially considering the competition: MacKinnon. Malkin, Eichel, Scheifele, Pastrnak, Crosby, Kucherov, Rantanen, Stamkos, Ovechkin. I don’t think he gets the recognition as a top 10. In my books he is a top 10 exciting player I’d pay to watch maybe top 3. He is quick and has great vision and determination. What say you?

well he's clearly better than Tavares.

Rielly Matthews and Marner are all probably top 10 players this year.

Reactions: stickty111

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
i love marner, but for the leafs i still gotta go

1. matthews
2. rielly
3. marner
4. tavares
5. andersen

100 point wingers are crazy, but 80-90 point D with good defense, and then matthews is just too special

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I honestly believe he’s comparable to Matthews. I know the narrative is Matthews is clearly the best player, and I still believe be clearly is, but man it’s getting pretty close. Marner while a winger drives play and makes anyone he plays with look like a million bucks, so I think it negates the C vs. W argument slightly. He is also a one man power play unit with SPECIAL attributes in his vision and playmaking ability.

I believe him and Matthews are both top ten players. Matthews somewhere from 3-5 and Marner in the latter half.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I honestly believe he’s comparable to Matthews. I know the narrative is Matthews is clearly the best player, and I still believe be clearly is, but man it’s getting pretty close. Marner while a winger drives play and makes anyone he plays with look like a million bucks, so I think it negates the C vs. W argument slightly. He is also a one man power play unit with SPECIAL attributes in his vision and playmaking ability.

I believe him and Matthews are both top ten players. Matthews somewhere from 3-5 and Marner in the latter half.
All good points. I'd say there's still a gap, but it's not huge.

Reactions: Green Snow Storm

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Marner is awesome, but let's not forget, he's playing with a franchise centre in Tavares...JT gives Marner alot of space to work his magic as the defenders always need to be aware of where JT is in the offensive zone...Marner received a beauty pass from JT on his first goal tonight, and a primary assist on JT's deflection on net which got to him for the shot off Johnsson. Anders Lee had 40 goals last year playing with Tavares. JT is horse.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

In the next 2-3 years both have the potential to be top 5.

Post Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin/Kane/Stamkos prime era you are looking at these 7-10

In no order:

McDavid
Matthews
Marner
Kucherov
Petterson
Mackinnon
Rantanen
Eichel

And then you have Gaudreau, Schiefele, Pastranak, Point, Dahlin, Rielly and Chabot as well for the future

The only player I would trade Matthews or Marner for would be McDavid and that's literally it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Green Snow Storm
Mar 11, 2013
QC
>Malkin

Lol no, not even close this year

>Pasta

LOLWUT, I don't think so. Put Marner next to Bergeron and and Marchand and see what he does, hint he has done more than Pasta with just JT and Hyman.

>Stamkos

Again what???? Are we talking prime Stankos who was an absolute top 3 nhl player and a beast or current Stamkos? Stamkos doesn't touch Marner

>Eichel

One good year and all of a sudden he's better? No thanks, Marner has been better than Eichel every year of his career, including this one

The only people ahead of Marner are McDavid, Rantanen, Mac, Kucherov and maybe...maybe still Crosby. After that when you factor in age, linemates and TOI, he's EASILY a top 10 player.
Pastrnak's got 3 less points and 11 more goals despite Bergeron missing half the season (same thing as last year, Marchand and Bergeron both missed 20 games or so) so the linemate argument is invalid (especially "just JT").

As far as Stamkos I've hardly been a fan of his lately but this is Marner's first elite season while Stamkos has had multiple, as you said with Eichel, one good year from Marner and all of a sudden he's better?

As for Eichel, he's been better every season so far, he's had injury issues that restricted him to 60ish games per year and still put up very similiar point totals, more goals and way higher PPG than Marner.

Marner is on par/slightly worse than Pastrnak and Eichel still, he's better than Stamkos.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Pastrnak's got 3 less points and 11 more goals despite Bergeron missing half the season (same thing as last year, Marchand and Bergeron both missed 20 games or so) so the linemate argument is invalid (especially "just JT").

As far as Stamkos I've hardly been a fan of his lately but this is Marner's first elite season while Stamkos has had multiple, as you said with Eichel, one good year from Marner and all of a sudden he's better?

As for Eichel, he's been better every season so far, he's had injury issues that restricted him to 60ish games per year and still put up very similiar point totals, more goals and way higher PPG than Marner.

Marner is on par/slightly worse than Pastrnak and Eichel still, he's better than Stamkos.

And? Marchand is equal to JT, is Hyman better than Bergeron? Just lol.

And Marleau's career>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Petterson, who's the better player now? Exactly. Furthermore Marner's career totals have been depressed due to:

Having awful defensive linemates like Bozak and JVR
Being demoted because muh gud pros like Brown and Hyman can do no wrong, therefore Mitch should play with Martin and Komarov because muh grit work ethic gud proness
Not getting a ton of TOI or even PP ice time

His final 2/3 of the season showed his true potential. Furthermore, we're not talking about Ovechkin aka an uninjured and non-damaged player, we're talking about Stamkos whose career was completely sidelined by injuries.

In what insane world is LOWER ppg, LOWER points while getting 1 minute MORE ice time and 1.5 minutes MORE PP ice time better? Eichel is absolutely not better.

Absolutely not, Marner has been better than Eichel every year and we've never seen Pasta have to deal with the nonsense Mitch has gone through, so no on him as well.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd

Marner is way, way better than Eichel defensively. Even last year it was so obvious with so many takeaways Marner had. With him playing PK this year as well, it's not even close.

Reactions: Zrinski

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Marner is way, way better than Eichel defensively. Even last year it was so obvious with so many takeaways Marner had. With him playing PK this year as well, it's not even close.

Mitch's work ethic in general is excellent, I have no doubt he'd be giving it his all if he was on those Kessel teams as well.

Eichel floats a ton and doesn't seem to truly engage on bad teams, he is an excellent player no doubt and I'm glad he's reaching his potential, but his soft play to start his career cannot be denied or avoided, meanwhile Mitch was giving it his all when he was unfairly buried on the fourth line.

Mitch simply put is a true warrior that BLEEDS Blue and White.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Marner creates so much when he has the puck. The only guys in the league who have created more for their team while carrying the puck this season are Mcdavid and Mackinnon.

Reactions: Havoc

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
What a playmaker.
He's seems to thrive in the new NHL.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Pasta may have more goals but Msrner has never played vs the Leafs this year. . Take away Pastas ungodly dominance of the leafs and his goal totals are a bit more in line. Marner has dominated virtually every team

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
When Gretzky calls you the new Gretzky that says it all , you can stop creating your Reilly and Mathews fanboy threads -Marner #4 on the Leafs ? give your head a shake ,the kids on pace to finish #3 all time in single season points , 50 points before Xmas , figure it out eh!

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I think he and Rielly get the Allstar game. He's just getting better all the time.
upload_2018-12-23_8-22-46.jpeg

Reactions: Its not your fault

Bronxxx

Dec 2, 2018
When Gretzky calls you the new Gretzky that says it all , you can stop creating your Reilly and Mathews fanboy threads -Marner #4 on the Leafs ? give your head a shake ,the kids on pace to finish #3 all time in single season points , 50 points before Xmas , figure it out eh!
Whoa. What? Gretzky quote? Please reference it. It either didn’t happen or I missed it.

Bronxxx

Dec 2, 2018
Seems most Leaf supporters say yes to top 10 others not so much. I still say he’s top 3 to watch and a great example of hockey should be played. It’s becoming the beautiful game 2. No more hitting just crazy plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad