Is Mitchell Marner a top 10 NHLer this year?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I really do not like getting in to this debate of top 5 or 10 - he is our super star and a very important / integral part to the success of this team

He is so matured at this young age - I always wonder what he is going to be down the road (within 2 - 3 years)

Reactions: unitedstars87

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
After tonight Marner is going to be 5th overall with all scorers - Rantanen and Mackinnon are still on top of the board (2nd and 3rd respectively with McDavid sitting behind and Kucherov at # 1), just wondering if both Mackinnon and Rantanen can keep up the pace (so far so good)

They both are among the leaders since the beginning of this season

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The great thing is, the players picked 1 spot below, and one spot above have both been traded.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I know he is not a center but is he better than Matthews and Tavares?

If you choose to respond, please do so without the nastiness.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I'm waiting for a SN broadcaster to say Marner is asking McDavid money

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

I personally do not like comparing - they all are very special with different skill sets

Both Matthews and Marner are pretty young when comparing them to the likes of Tavares or Stamkos

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
They played mitch pretty hard tonight and he still put up 3 points.

There's your answer.

Bronxxx

Dec 2, 2018

He is not better than Matthews and Tavares but might be better than Matthews or Tavares.:D

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The amazing thing with Marner is that I don't think he was particularly good overall this game. Most of his shifts were very quiet, even the ones where his line was really good. Ends up with three points, and only one of them was in any way flukey. I've mentioned it before, but I really like his mental game. Didn't get the bounces tonight, the puck didn't follow him around like it usually does. Didn't get to him at all. When the chance comes, he executes to perfection.

Such a contrast with Nylander. You can almost see a little devil on his shoulder dancing around in panic, screaming: "Here it comes, here it comes! Play simple! Trust your skill! Shoot! Pass! POOT!"

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Why? If he gets 110 pts or around that it's the price.

The highest paid winger is 10.5 million. Does that mean Rantanen gets 15 million?
Kucherov got 9.5 million last year in a 100 point season. Mitch will get 10 million.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Pretty impressive that he has a 9 point lead on the next leaf player....

I wonder where Matthews would be if he had a linemate as good as Tavares, and didn't get injured.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Stamkos was going to get 11. Took 8 and change. If you match ratios 9.5 Tampa dollars is like 12 Toronna bucks. Sucks eh

Kucherov did not really take a discount though. That made him the 2nd highest winger in the NHL. Marner isn't going to get 3-4 million more because he's not in Florida. That's not how it works. And Stamkos was no fan of the 8 million, hence why he let that offer sit for months and talked to the Leafs.

And there are guys on Florida teams horrifically overpaid (Ekblad somehow got 2.5 million more per than Rielly, and he signed 3 months later).

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
funny how matthews is supposed to be our franchise player yet Tavares and Marner are proving to be way ahead of him

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
I'm waiting for a SN broadcaster to say Marner is asking McDavid money

He won't, but with the way he's playing, holy crap man. If Marner keeps up this pace, his minimum is going to be $9.5mil for his next contract, after taking a hometown discount. Throw in what Matthews is going to be getting. Damn man. Dubas is going to have his work cut out for him. Even if they let Gardiner walk, one of Kappy or Johnsson is going to have to go as well to make room for Kap or John's next contract. It sure is a great time to be a fan, but it's a horrible time to be the GM that has to balance the books with all the pending free agents coming up.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I amazed how :

A) He avoids getting hit/hurt;
B) The puck follows him around like a dog on a leash

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad