Is Mikko Rantanen the best player in NHL at the moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
The earlier Mikko Rantanen thread ended so I thought we need to make a new one and keep talking about this phenomenal hockey player.

So, Mikko has been leading the NHL for a while now and still is. He has now 36 points in 22 games ppg 1.64 and +13. I don’t seriously know when somebody had this great stats in NHL last time. But anyway he might be the best player in NHL currently. MacKinnon, Landeskog and the chemistry surely helps but still they both didn’t do this well before Rantanen came into league.

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
The earlier Mikko Rantanen thread ended so I thought we need to make a new one and keep talking about this phenomenal hockey player.

So, Mikko has been leading the NHL for a while now and still is. He has now 36 points in 22 games ppg 1.64 and +13. I don’t seriously know when somebody had this great stats in NHL last time. But anyway he might be the best player in NHL currently. MacKinnon, Landeskog and the chemistry surely helps but still they both didn’t do this well before Rantanen came into league.
Stamkos had 36 points in his first 21 (and 22) games in 2017-18.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Kucherov if I remember correctly led the NHL in points through about 60 games last year until McDavid overtook him and then Giroux. Same thing will happen Rantanen. Talented yes, but still give me MacKinnon on that team over him. 2-3 points ahead of everyone else doesn't translate into the best in the NHL. It is like people thinking Rielly was going to win the Norris 10 games into the season. He won't. Someday sure, but not this year.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
We wold all love to see that list. 30 players ahead the leagues leading scorer is nuts.
McDavid
Crosby
Kucherov
Malkin
MacKinnon
Ovechkin
Giroux
Point
Bergeron
Laine
Pastrnak
Scheifele
Aho
Eichel
Kane
Hall
Panarin
Marchand
Kuznetsov
Seguin
Benn
Barkov

~20 just from the top of my head, not including dmen, Stamkos had just as hot of a start last year and finished with less than 90 points, 20 games mean nothing.

Reactions: Frosty415

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Rantanen needs 64 points in the last 60 games to crack the 100 poin barrier.
Yeah he is going to break 100 as long as there are no injuries.

Kucherov if I remember correctly led the NHL in points through about 60 games last year until McDavid overtook him and then Giroux. Same thing will happen Rantanen. Talented yes, but still give me MacKinnon on that team over him. 2-3 points ahead of everyone else doesn't translate into the best in the NHL. It is like people thinking Rielly was going to win the Norris 10 games into the season. He won't. Someday sure, but not this year.
Its not so easy to choose anymore tbh. Rantanen just turned 22 and is leading the league in points in his 3rd NHL season. Mikko has has improved every single year and is playing better than Nate.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
We would all love to see that list. 30 players ahead the leagues leading scorer is nuts.
Crosby
MacKinnon
McDavid
Malkin
Kucherov
Matthews
Tavares
Bergeron
Hedman
Doughty
Ovechkin
Giroux
Backstrom
Schiefele
Marchand
Seguin
Benn
Hall
Subban
Karlsson

There’s a difference between being the best player in the league and being on the best line in the league

Hntz

Jan 6, 2018
I think it's funny that it seems to me that the majority of Avs fans on this board have claimed that Rantanen has been better than MacKinnon this season, yet fans of other teams make claims that he "hasn't even been the best player on his line". Avs fans should know better, right?

Not saying that Rantanen is the better player tho. Awesome player regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad