Is Mikko Rantanen the best player in NHL at the moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
depends on your definition of right now. he absolutely has shown in a few individual games that he is the best player in the league however he has not done that enough to be considered the best

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
no., hes the hottest player in the NHL but 20 some games you dont get the title of best

FinnJet

Just one Lainer
Jan 20, 2017
McDavid
Crosby
Kucherov
Malkin
MacKinnon
Ovechkin
Giroux
Point
Bergeron
Laine
Pastrnak
Scheifele
Aho
Eichel
Kane
Hall
Panarin
Marchand
Kuznetsov
Seguin
Benn
Barkov

~20 just from the top of my head, not including dmen, Stamkos had just as hot of a start last year and finished with less than 90 points, 20 games mean nothing.
You missed Mikko Rantanen. He surely has to be in top 20.
You also missed McKinnon. He actually is at the same level as Rantanen and should be on that list also.
Edit: Oh, you didn't miss McKinnon, you are just clueless.

Reactions: MrThomas

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
McDavid
Crosby
Kucherov
Malkin
MacKinnon
Ovechkin
Giroux
Point
Bergeron
Laine
Pastrnak
Scheifele
Aho
Eichel
Kane
Hall
Panarin
Marchand
Kuznetsov
Seguin
Benn
Barkov

~20 just from the top of my head, not including dmen, Stamkos had just as hot of a start last year and finished with less than 90 points, 20 games mean nothing.
This list is just sad, shows just how little you know about Rantanen, and proves you're living in the past.

Point, Marchand, Kane, Seguin, Benn aren't even close to Rantanen.

And he is every but as good as Laine, Aho, Pastranak, Scheifele, Eichel, Hall etc.

I'll give you the big names but this list is a joke. Rantanen is easily a top 15 forward at this point in time. Not sure what else he has to do to prove it.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'm aware it's been mentioned a billion times. When i say truly elite I mean top 5ish player in the league. He needs a complete season at that level to get into that conversation.

Well, I’d call that a franchise player. To me, elite anyone roughly ppg or higher, but I suppose that’s just semantics.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
120 points in the last 103 games. But slumps happen.

130 in the last 96 for MacK. To be fair, I think you're asking both of them to be slumping for their paces to fall off. Any given game one of them can do the heavy lifting.

If it happened to Stamkos and Kucherov, why can't it happen to anyone else?
Legitimate question, you guys seem so insanely sure that they'll keep up a pace that nobody has kept in a decade.

Reactions: 42

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think it's funny that it seems to me that the majority of Avs fans on this board have claimed that Rantanen has been better than MacKinnon this season, yet fans of other teams make claims that he "hasn't even been the best player on his line". Avs fans should know better, right?

Not saying that Rantanen is the better player tho. Awesome player regardless.

Can this argument really be made anymore? Any fan can watch watch any game rather easily. Also, just because a team's says "x" is so doesn't meant it's a 100% airtight argument

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
No, he isn't. McDavid is, as should really be obvious. He is in the conversation of top 10 the way he's playing now but I see a regression in his numbers (90-ish points for the season) as his production is very unsustainable.

Last season has very good parallels. Stamkos was on pace for 130 points at this time of the year. Schwartz had 30 points in 22 games. Let's wait until at least this season is done before we start talking about Rantanen being the best.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
If it happened to Stamkos and Kucherov, why can't it happen to anyone else?
Legitimate question, you guys seem so insanely sure that they'll keep up a pace that nobody has kept in a decade.
What is true today will be true forever. Forget analysing production using stats. Just watch the players! That's all you need to know they'll be this good forever.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
This list is just sad, shows just how little you know about Rantanen, and proves you're living in the past.

Point, Marchand, Kane, Seguin, Benn aren't even close to Rantanen.

And he is every but as good as Laine, Aho, Pastranak, Scheifele, Eichel, Hall etc.

I'll give you the big names but this list is a joke. Rantanen is easily a top 15 forward at this point in time. Not sure what else he has to do to prove it.
You can't be serious. This is the most ridiculous statement I've read in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad