Is Mikko Rantanen the best player in NHL at the moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Crosby
MacKinnon
McDavid
Malkin
Kucherov
Matthews
Tavares
Bergeron
Hedman
Doughty
Ovechkin
Giroux
Backstrom
Schiefele
Marchand
Seguin
Benn
Hall
Subban
Karlsson

There’s a difference between being the best player in the league and being on the best line in the league

The best player on the best line in the league isn't the worst place to start looking for the best player in the league when he's also leading the scoring the race...at least if you wanted to start someplace other than McDavid before looping to him; as he's clearly the best player in the league.
I think it's funny that it seems to me that the majority of Avs fans on this board have claimed that Rantanen has been better than MacKinnon this season, yet fans of other teams make claims that he "hasn't even been the best player on his line". Avs fans should know better, right?

Not saying that Rantanen is the better player tho. Awesome player regardless.

Nah. Just because we watch more of them doesn't mean we actually know as much about them as Toronto fans do.

Last edited:

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
He’ll probably finish around 90 points like Kucherov last year. Good for around 15th or so best player.

Andon

Oct 23, 2016
Clearly not, but this 20-30 stuff is nonsense.

I liked the list that had 3 other Finnish players ahead of him, sounds good for the Finnish national team :nod:
(well, if there were proper tournaments with NHL players)

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Rantanen clearly is a Top10 player in the league right now. He is the motor on Avs Top line. Landy does the heavy lifting and dirty work, Rantanen is the playmaker who the play goes through and MacK is the speedy finnisher. They are all great players who benefits of eachothers strenghts. Their chemistry is also great. I Still think Rantanen would do very well without thoose two.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
McDavid
Crosby
Kucherov
Malkin
MacKinnon
Ovechkin
Giroux
Point
Bergeron
Laine
Pastrnak
Scheifele
Aho
Eichel
Kane
Hall
Panarin
Marchand
Kuznetsov
Seguin
Benn
Barkov

~20 just from the top of my head, not including dmen, Stamkos had just as hot of a start last year and finished with less than 90 points, 20 games mean nothing.
some of those are absolutely crazy. people dont buy rantanen after 100 games but there's point just on a top 20 forwards list.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Crosby
MacKinnon
McDavid
Malkin
Kucherov
Matthews
Tavares
Bergeron
Hedman
Doughty
Ovechkin
Giroux
Backstrom
Schiefele
Marchand
Seguin
Benn
Hall
Subban
Karlsson

There’s a difference between being the best player in the league and being on the best line in the league
why do people keep putting seguin, he's cracked 80 points as many times as rantanen. he plays with radulov and benn.

Andon

Oct 23, 2016
Slumps happen. He's 22.

Basically it would have to be a "slump" where the Avs top line stops producing. Or he gets switched to a different line, can't see that happening either.
Of course, no one is immune to injury so nothing is for granted.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
If he was doing this with scrubs on his line he’d have an argument, but right now, no.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Mikko Rantanen is no longer the most underrated player in the league.

And no I’d say MacKinnon is still better. Obviously McDavid is going to maintain that crown most of his career but I’m sorry he’s not doing it right now. Not his fault he was drafted by the wrong team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad