Is Mike Babcock's Lame Duck Status Hurting the Wings?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
We are. Trade Babcock (we can do that now right?). With Blash no Clears or Q. And he could help expedite the transition for the ahl to nhl for XO, Sproul, Marchenk and Jensen.

Not to derail the thread but I don't see Jensen every playing for the wings.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Trade Babcock? :laugh:

You still can't trade coaching/management personnel, only get a 3rd rounder as a compensation if they are hired for another organization during a current contract.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
The more I think about the original question, yes, I think it is. The question is just how much.

I'd be shocked if he re-ups.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
If he doesn't sign before the start of the regular season, he is as good as gone.

Then the real circus will begin. Might as well start taking bets as to where Babcock ends up coaching.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Stupid article. There was missing the biggest Babcock quote, that maybe free agents didn't want to join, because Mike Babcock isn't signed long-term to Detroit yet.

That could be more of it, uncertainty of Babcock's future. If you sign to Detroit in your to play under Babcock for 5-7 years, you also want security that Babcock is signed long-term there.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The more I think about the original question, yes, I think it is. The question is just how much.

I'd be shocked if he re-ups.

I am actually starting to think this is a dollar figure thing. I don't expect him to trash it and I do think he wants to see what the kids do again, but he sounds like a man almost saying hey I am worth six million dollars, somebody pay me.

Holland needs to be taken care of as well and that one is far more curious, I figured he would be locked up sometime in May.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I am actually starting to think this is a dollar figure thing. I don't expect him to trash it and I do think he wants to see what the kids do again, but he sounds like a man almost saying hey I am worth six million dollars, somebody pay me.

Holland needs to be taken care of as well and that one is far more curious, I figured he would be locked up sometime in May.

I never considered they wouldn't re-up Holland. It would be bizarre to see him without an extension as the season starts, and would seem to be a message that someone is sharpening an axe somewhere.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I never considered they wouldn't re-up Holland. It would be bizarre to see him without an extension as the season starts, and would seem to be a message that someone is sharpening an axe somewhere.

I'm hoping that's the case.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

It actually makes me wonder if they have offered Babcock a juicier role, now a lot of it would be title, but something along the lines of what Roy has where Sakic still has final oversight despite whatever way they want to put it.

Holland would really only do this to keep Babs, so his extension will not be signed until the parameters of Babs are defined. Just spit-balling obviously don't know why, but you have to wonder what is the hold up. He isn't in any actual trouble in terms of his job no matter how fired up this board is, so there has to be a little more to this and why he is waiting.

Brandel*

Babcock as GM would sell everyone and anyone for Shea Weber. I can't even imagine him in a role like that. Interesting theory though.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Babcock as GM would sell everyone and anyone for Shea Weber. I can't even imagine him in a role like that. Interesting theory though.

I am a big Babcock fan but I don't want him as GM. He has no background whatsoever in handling those types of duties. My hope is he has been working closely with the drafting department to get the kind of players he thinks he can win with - ie, bigger guys who can skate and either have skill (Sproul, Mantha) or are strong defensive players (Ouellet, Larkin, Sheahan).

That's probably the best case scenario, IMO. Let Babcock give the general guidelines for the types of players he can win with and let the scouting and management team do their jobs.

We simply need a GM who will do the things that general managers are expected to do, ie sign free agents, make trades to address needs, and bring up younger players who are prepared to play in the NHL.

Actual Thought*

It actually makes me wonder if they have offered Babcock a juicier role, now a lot of it would be title, but something along the lines of what Roy has where Sakic still has final oversight despite whatever way they want to put it.

Holland would really only do this to keep Babs, so his extension will not be signed until the parameters of Babs are defined. Just spit-balling obviously don't know why, but you have to wonder what is the hold up. He isn't in any actual trouble in terms of his job no matter how fired up this board is, so there has to be a little more to this and why he is waiting.

I would imagine that it is because both Holland and Babcock are extremely secure in their jobs that there isn't a real sense or urgency. They will likely both sign around training camp.

Johnz96*

The Wings didn't have a Loui E. or Riley Smith to dangle either. At least that they were willing to move. The Spezza acquisition is more complicated.

At the time Riley Smith wasn't worth as much as Brendan Smith was.

Johnz96*

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...ated-risk-after-playing-on-one-leg-last-year/

“Last year, he didn’t bring anything,†speaking of cleary, Babcock told Detroit Sports 105.1 radio.

And it wasn't just Cleary.
Did he realize this in retrospect something we (non professionals, just fans of the game) all knew at the time or did he deliberately often play someone who didn't bring anything much more than someone who brought lots? Why?
Either way he is an idiot.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
If Babcock isn't re-signed before the start of the season, do you really want him coaching at all? Although I think it is time to move on with Babs, I am by no means a Babcock hater. Coaching this season as a lame duck, however, strikes me as a disaster waiting to happen, especially if you think he has somehow lost the room already.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oN4y8tGK_dM#t=371

Regner on the record saying he doesn't think Babcock will be back. Not much, but something to talk about.

When you consider how much Kenneh has bowed down to Dan Cleary, Mikael Samuelsson, Todd Bertuzzi, Jiri Hudler, Jakub Kindl and Kyle Quincey it's pretty clear Babcock is driving the bus right now. It's gonna be fun to watch once the season starts, particularly if Holland keeps our defense as is and we struggle like we have the past two seasons to make the playoffs. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

Johnz96*

For being an idiot, he sure wins a lot.

He's got some great players. At one time with the Wings he had 3 of the 10 best players in the world and a stocked roster otherwise.
He sure has a tendency of declining.

Babcock's winning percentage with the Wings
2005-06 - 70.7%
2006-07 - 61.0%
2007-08 - 65.9%
2008-09 - 62.2%
2009-10 - 53.7%
2010-11 - 57.3%
2011-12 - 58.5%
2012-13 - 50.0 %
2013-14 - 47.6%

Babcock's winning percentage with the Ducks
2002-03 - 54.3%
2003-04 - 41.5%

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If Babcock isn't re-signed before the start of the season, do you really want him coaching at all? Although I think it is time to move on with Babs, I am by no means a Babcock hater. Coaching this season as a lame duck, however, strikes me as a disaster waiting to happen, especially if you think he has somehow lost the room already.

Lost the room? how can he lose the room, if the roster as changed over 50% during the last 4 years?

We are adding new ears at every season on the roster to hear his message, if you haven't noticed. 80% of the players have changed since Babcock started at Red Wings. Only guys who are left in our team from season 2005-06 are our Captains and some team leader and Babcock-favourite like Cleary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad