Is Mike Babcock's Lame Duck Status Hurting the Wings?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Mike Babcock won't discuss extension during season

Babcock also made one thing clear: "We get it done by fall, or I won't bother. I'm not doing it during the season."

This makes sense, because Babcock doesn't want the distraction of a contract negotiation while trying to guide the Wings to a record-extending 24th straight playoff appearance — and possibly figuring out on which line he should play rookie Anthony Mantha.

:laugh:

that last line is awesome. yeah, they are going to have soooo hard time figuring that out. all it takes it's to go to capgeek and check his waiver eligibility situation. 'hey, we found out where you belong and it's not in mans league'!!!

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Just had the thought pop into my head today that it wouldn't shock me if Steve Yzerman signed Babs to coach the Bolts. I know Yzerman didn't like playing for him and nearly retired mid-season, however he did bring on Babs to coach the Canadian Olympic team and they set an Olympic record for fewest goals surrendered while winning back to back gold medals.

It would be a good situation for Babcock, really good young talent and you don't have to deal with the entire world second-guessing you if you go to the Pens to coach the wunderkind.

Babcock is one of those Scotty Bowman type coaches who some players hate but others tolerate because you win a lot of games playing for him. Could Yzerman get over his distaste playing for Babcock? The Olympics make me think he could although in that case you only deal with him for a few months once every four years, not a 100+ game hockey season every single year.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Just had the thought pop into my head today that it wouldn't shock me if Steve Yzerman signed Babs to coach the Bolts. I know Yzerman didn't like playing for him and nearly retired mid-season, however he did bring on Babs to coach the Canadian Olympic team and they set an Olympic record for fewest goals surrendered while winning back to back gold medals.

It would be a good situation for Babcock, really good young talent and you don't have to deal with the entire world second-guessing you if you go to the Pens to coach the wunderkind.

Babcock is one of those Scotty Bowman type coaches who some players hate but others tolerate because you win a lot of games playing for him. Could Yzerman get over his distaste playing for Babcock? The Olympics make me think he could although in that case you only deal with him for a few months once every four years, not a 100+ game hockey season every single year.

You just gave Filppula nightmares.

Plus Jon Cooper was just nominated for a Jack Adams, credited with turning that team around. If they have another nice year in Tampa, I don't know why they'd kick him to the curb.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago

I agree and have been thinking this for awhile.

Of course Cooper has done a good job, but SFY has shown he has the stones to make a tough decision. It would be like the Tigers firing Less Moss and bringing in Sparky Anderson back in the early 80's.

Actual Thought*

Babcock isn't going anywhere. The only reason he hasn't signed an extension is because Holland hasn't signed an extension. Holland will get extended as he should IMO and his first order of business will be signing Babs because he is the best coach in the business imo.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Babcock isn't going anywhere. The only reason he hasn't signed an extension is because Holland hasn't signed an extension. Holland will get extended as he should IMO and his first order of business will be signing Babs because he is the best coach in the business imo.

The team isn't so sure of that. It's why they gave Blashill a huge raise to stick around for 1 more year.

Actual Thought*

The team isn't so sure of that. It's why they gave Blashill a huge raise to stick around for 1 more year.
Or maybe they wanted to keep Blashill. Maybe Blashill likes his job but wants to keep his NHL options open. I seriously doubt Babs is leaving. He has stayed with the franchise for ten years. He clearly likes his employer.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
also these

Brad Galli @BradGalli · 31 min
Mike Babcock on 105.1: "Did we target guys? Yes. Did they come,? No... But no bad contracts." #RedWings

Brad Galli @BradGalli · 29 min
Mike Babcock told Ryan and Rico on 105.1 Henrik Zetterberg feels as good as he has since 2008.

Brad Galli @BradGalli · 27 min
Babcock talking on 105.1: "Last year he brought nothing." Called his contract "great" for cap. Said he is working with trainer Mike Barwis.

Brad Galli @BradGalli · 25 min
Babcock on 105.1: "If you don't want to be coached, don't come here. If you want to be pushed to be the best, come here."

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
@tom_mitsos
Mike Babcock on FA not coming to Detroit: "If you don't wanna be coached, don't come here."

@tom_mitsos
He also hinted that the fact he has one year left on his deal might have deterred some FA.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
also these

Brad Galli @BradGalli · 31 min
Mike Babcock on 105.1: "Did we target guys? Yes. Did they come,? No... But no bad contracts." #RedWings

Brad Galli @BradGalli · 29 min
Mike Babcock told Ryan and Rico on 105.1 Henrik Zetterberg feels as good as he has since 2008.

Brad Galli @BradGalli · 27 min
Babcock talking on 105.1: "Last year he brought nothing." Called his contract "great" for cap. Said he is working with trainer Mike Barwis.

Brad Galli @BradGalli · 25 min
Babcock on 105.1: "If you don't want to be coached, don't come here. If you want to be pushed to be the best, come here."

No bad contracts... Lmfao :help:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think you know what he meant. 1,2 year deals >>>> 7 year albatross.

I guess if the bar is that low for them, sure.

Large overpayments for unnecessary players would be bad contracts IMO.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Well, at least Zetterberg is feeling well. Best news all summer. The only other good news so far is probably Sheahan's contract.

Fun times.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Well, at least Zetterberg is feeling well. Best news all summer. The only other good news so far is probably Sheahan's contract.

Fun times.

Weiss is apparently healthy, too. A healthy Weiss could go a long way towards a functional second line and a very good third line centered by Sheahan.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Weiss is apparently healthy, too. A healthy Weiss could go a long way towards a functional second line and a very good third line centered by Sheahan.

Is he really healthy? I swear, I never see any news or updates about him. Considering he's our 3rd highest paid forward cap-wise, you would think he would a bigger commodity.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Is he really healthy? I swear, I never see any news or updates about him.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...-weiss-is-healed-and-ready-for-training-camp/

“(Trainer) Piet Van Zant texted him two days ago,†Holland said. “He said he’s feeling great, he’s training hard; he’s played some shinny (pick-up hockey). So far all reports are he’s healed and ready to roll in September.â€

These bits from MLive.com do cast some doubt upon how authoritative that thumbs-up might be, though:

Holland told Weiss he only wants to hear from him if there is a setback. So no news is good news.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Mike Babcock won't discuss extension during season

:laugh:

that last line is awesome. yeah, they are going to have soooo hard time figuring that out. all it takes it's to go to capgeek and check his waiver eligibility situation. 'hey, we found out where you belong and it's not in mans league'!!!

Well if you have nothing to report I guess floating Mantha's name and Babcock-to-Toronto speculation out there is one strategy to get page hits.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
@tom_mitsos
Mike Babcock on FA not coming to Detroit: "If you don't wanna be coached, don't come here."

@tom_mitsos
He also hinted that the fact he has one year left on his deal might have deterred some FA.

So he thinks some players won't play for him and his lack of an extension may have hurt us July 1st.

How are we not better off with Blashill?

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Ken Holland is confident he will get something done.

Famous last words.

Babcock is being ridiculous too. He doesn't want to be distracted by contract negotiations during the season, but being a lame duck coach will be less distracting?

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
So he thinks some players won't play for him and his lack of an extension may have hurt us July 1st.

How are we not better off with Blashill?

We are. Trade Babcock (we can do that now right?). With Blash no Clears or Q. And he could help expedite the transition for the ahl to nhl for XO, Sproul, Marchenk and Jensen.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
We are. Trade Babcock (we can do that now right?). With Blash no Clears or Q. And he could help expedite the transition for the ahl to nhl for XO, Sproul, Marchenk and Jensen.

This is wishful thinking, Holland isn't loyal because of Babcock. Perhaps Cleary is here because of Babcock, you think Blashill would come in and Holland would all of a sudden abandon his 'overripe' philosophy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad