Is McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon the new Big Three?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Put Matthews on those other teams, and his teammates on those other teams will flourish too, along with his new team. Matthews is the cause of his team and teammates doing so well.

incorrect

Florida Colorado and Edmonton are instantly contenders if they added JT and Marner for free

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Okay okay, most of you will think that McDavid is in his own tier and he has earned that.

Do you think MacKinnon and Matthews will separate themselves from the rest of the pack so that there will be a distinguishable top 3 of offensive talent like Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin?
i think we quickly have forgotten young 87/8/71

the answer is no they will not separate themselves. kane and stamkos had similar stretches like these 2 but never really separated themselves, always were a tier below

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
i think we quickly have forgotten young 87/8/71

the answer is no they will not separate themselves. kane and stamkos had similar stretches like these 2 but never really separated themselves, always were a tier below

#92 Kuznetsov > #8 Ovechkin since the playoffs

#71 is inconsistent but still goat

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
They are instantly contenders if they swapped their superstar for Matthews.

that's a hot take, not gonna bother going there

but the better question is Matthews + Hyman or Tavares + Marner for 2 seasons

i'll poll that

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
McDavid is better, but he also plays on average 5 minutes more a game than Matthews. They are playing him like 23:30 minutes per game. and only about 30 seconds on average is on the PK.

clearly a better VO2 Max than Matthews. Thanks for pointing that out

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Okay okay, most of you will think that McDavid is in his own tier and he has earned that.

Do you think MacKinnon and Matthews will separate themselves from the rest of the pack so that there will be a distinguishable top 3 of offensive talent like Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin?
No.
Eichel, Laine, Scheifele, and Dahlin will factor in as well.

That's from current NHL players.

Then there's the Barzal, Barkov, Boeser, Petterson, Pastrnak, etc, that have all the tools to get into the conversation intermittently.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
There really isn't a clear cut third player to McDavid and Matthews. The closest is Mackinnon and Kucherov; but both didn't perform until they were 23. I actually thought Elias Petterssen and/or Barzal had the potential to be the 3rd best player of this era. Both have higher point per game averages then Kucherov/Mackinnon.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
clearly a better VO2 Max than Matthews. Thanks for pointing that out
Or just a bad team overplaying a player because they don't have any faith in any other line being able to accomplish anything. His usage rate is pretty much unseen among forwards if it is sustained.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
McDavid is better, but he also plays on average 5 minutes more a game than Matthews. They are playing him like 23:30 minutes per game. and only about 30 seconds on average is on the PK.
That's because he's 5 minutes per game better than Matthews.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
FWIW, I'm not totally sure why Matthews is in this discussion. Does he project to be a top level, potentially top three player? Yes, but he's never had an MVP type season yet that should put him in this discussion.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
They won’t form a big 3 until they each show periods of being the best player in the world or at least very close to it. Winning some significant hardware would also help for Matthews and MacKinnon.

It might be hard to believe, but one of those guys has played all of a season and 2/3. The full season was his rookie year where he came 2nd in goals and won what is considered to be a significant trophy.
The other guy just got screwed over on the Hart last year and is finally stepping out of the shadows of some other guy from his home town.

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
Or just a bad team overplaying a player because they don't have any faith in any other line being able to accomplish anything. His usage rate is pretty much unseen among forwards if it is sustained.
Which proves how difficult it is to play those minutes, otherwise all coaches would play their best player that much.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
I wasn't sure the Leafs made the playoffs because I couldn't find Matthews name anywhere on the leading scorers list. MacKinnon put up good numbers in his one series though. Seriously, how did Matthews do?
Something something don’t put stock in the last 7 games something something

You’re biased, we get it.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It might be hard to believe, but one of those guys has played all of a season and 2/3. The full season was his rookie year where he came 2nd in goals and won what is considered to be a significant trophy.
The other guy just got screwed over on the Hart last year and is finally stepping out of the shadows of some other guy from his home town.

The Calder isn’t a significant trophy in the context of this discussion.

Reactions: varank

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Which proves how difficult it is to play those minutes, otherwise all coaches would play their best player that much.
Yes, because I look at coaches like Dan Bylsma who did this with other players like Evander Kane, ROR and an actual Superstar like Crosby as a coaching savant.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON

He doesn't have the same level of offensive support, either, to be fair.

I hope Matthews keeps up his pace and challenges McDavid. Right now Connor is the best player in the League as far as I'm concerned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad