Is McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon the new Big Three?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Why are Matthews and MacKinnon there but Scheifele isn't? Scheifele is better than both and barely older than MacKinnon. Some people are forgetting the playoffs and putting way too much stock in the first few games of the season

:laugh:

Scheif is good but he's simply not on the level of the other 3.

And it's not too much stock in the first few games of the season. McDavid has B2B 100+ point seasons. Mackinnon just put up 97, and now has 7 goals in 6 games to start this year off.

The only one who's maybe being given too much stock for a hot start is Matthews. But when you score 10 goals in 7 games and at least 2 points in every game, it's probably fair to assume he's well on his way to joining the other two at the top of the league.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Why are Matthews and MacKinnon there but Scheifele isn't? Scheifele is better than both and barely older than MacKinnon. Some people are forgetting the playoffs and putting way too much stock in the first few games of the season

Because Scheifele is old as **** and took too long to become even remotely relevant.

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
Evolution-3M-Logo-Design-19781.jpg
url

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Scheifele is an excellent centre, no doubt about it. But to suggest he's on par with Matthews or MacKinnon is pretty funny. I'm going to assume RedBar is referring to Scheifele's 2016-17 season, in which he produced 82 points in 79 games. A very good season for any first line centre. And the following season, a decent 60 points in 60 games.

But he's not on the offensive brilliant levels of Matthews or MacKinnon. In fact, I could probably reference a few offensive stats here:

Matthews: 40 HDGF / 16 HDGA; 553 SCF / 479 SCA; 63 GF / 31 GA
MacKinnon: 33 HDGF / 23 HDGA; 553 SCF / 516 SCA; 64 GF / 47 GA
Scheifele: 24 HDGF / 18 HDGA; 453 SCF / 398 SCA; 48 GF / 35 GA

The offensive gap between Matthews and MacKinnon vs. Scheifele is pretty wide. Defensively, Scheifele seems to have a better handle on things, but the interesting thing about Scheifele's numbers is that he's given up a lot of goals at evens compared to Matthews, who had two more games played last season. The even strength gap between Matthews and the other two is huge as well.

This doesn't even include the power play.

I think Scheifele deserves mention as one of the top-ten centres in the league, maybe top-15, but he can't carry the jockstraps of Matthews or MacKinnon. At all.

Reactions: Joe Sakic

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Scheifele is 2 and a half years older than Mackinnon. He’s almost 4 years older than McDavid. Mackinnon is closer to Mcdavids age than Scheifele is to Mackinnon.

Also lol @ saying people are putting stock into a small sample to start the season and instead they should use the small sample at the end of last season

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Last ~90 games in MacKinnon’s case.
MacKinnon is one of those rare players who seems to mirror much of what McDavid can do, but at a slightly lower level of play.

Matthews is a completely different player than those two, but it stands to reason that MacKinnon probably deserves mention as one of the leagues next big three.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Scheifele is 2 and a half years older than Mackinnon. He’s almost 4 years older than McDavid. Mackinnon is closer to Mcdavids age than Scheifele is to Mackinnon.

Also lol @ saying people are putting stock into a small sample to start the season and instead they should use the small sample at the end of last season
The playoffs are a little more important than the first few games of the season though

Reactions: Aggie204

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Lol both Mack and Matthews only played in 1 series you homer.
I wasn't sure the Leafs made the playoffs because I couldn't find Matthews name anywhere on the leading scorers list. MacKinnon put up good numbers in his one series though. Seriously, how did Matthews do?

jvcjdudu jcycyxjene

Nov 11, 2014
Denver
I wasn't sure the Leafs made the playoffs because I couldn't find Matthews name anywhere on the leading scorers list. MacKinnon put up good numbers in his one series though. Seriously, how did Matthews do?
Matthews is better than the whole Jets roster combined. No one has more grace, raw talent, and pur3 skill than him (except for McDavid on some nights)

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
If MacKinnon or Matthews actually challenges McDavid for the Ross by end of season, I can see it happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad