Is McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon the new Big Three?

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
No, you have the big one, McDavid.
So was Crosby last generation; he was seen as the most talented of the past "Big Three" three pretty much wire-to-wire , but it wasn't like OV or Malkin didn't have their moments of dominance as well.

As to the OP's question, it is still too early to tell: Eichel still has the potential to be considered in this group, Laine looks like he will be the best pure goal-scorer this coming generation and Barzal or another guy could always elbow their way in to conversation (eg. Dahlin). For right now however, if I were to name the top three players of the newest generation it would be these three guys.

EDIT: Scheifele at 25 year old feels like he doesn't quite fit into the same generation; he is already a prime-age veteran whereas the other guys are still kids some of whom can't even legally drink (maybe not Mackinnon). Scheifele is great, but I am not sure he has much of a higher upside then he has already shown, at least when it comes to pure offensive numbers (which comes with being a 25 year old veteran); all the players above feel like they haven't reached their peak yet (again maybe not Mackinnon, but that was also in part due to last season just being statistically bonkers for him).

Last edited:

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
McDavid is pretty much the god everyone used to hype Crosby up as except instead of relying on pace he actually consistently does it in reality too
McDavid has been scorching hot since last February. Last 37 games 30+33 = 63. 82 game pace 140 points and 66 goals.

Compare to Crosby's famous 10-11.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Yes, I honestly think so.

What a shame Eichel isn't in this conversation...

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Matthews and McDavid love these 4 point games, eh? Truly the two greatest players in the game today.

Any true hockey fan will appreciate both Matthews and McDavid, and anyone that does not is not a true hockey fan.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
post 04/05 lock out
Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin

post 12/13 lockout
still Crosby, Ovechkin plus new additions P Kane, Karlsson, Price

Golden years 18-present
Mcdavid, Matthews, Laine, Mackinnon, Kucherov, Eichel

Reactions: varank

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Matthews and McDavid love these 4 point games, eh? Truly the two greatest players in the game today.

Any true hockey fan will appreciate both Matthews and McDavid, and anyone that does not is not a true hockey fan.
Is there an echo in here?
You are half right. McDavid is clearly the best.
Lots of options for second best. Could easily see Matthews entering the top this year too.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Why are Matthews and MacKinnon there but Scheifele isn't? Scheifele is better than both and barely older than MacKinnon. Some people are forgetting the playoffs and putting way too much stock in the first few games of the season
Scheifele is absolutely amazing, and is a top Centre in this league, but come on man

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This pretty much says it all. I’d call them McDavid and two other guys.

Matthews PPG: 2.29 --- McDavid PPG: 2.25

Toronto Maple Leafs in the top 10 of NHL scoring (besides Matthews): 3

Edmonton Oilers in the top 50 of NHL scoring (Besides McDavid): 0

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
This pretty much says it all. I’d call them McDavid and two other guys.

Matthews PPG: 2.29 --- McDavid PPG: 2.25

Toronto Maple Leafs in the top 10 of NHL scoring (besides Matthews): 3

Edmonton Oilers in the top 50 of NHL scoring (Besides McDavid): 0

I agree. Matthews makes his teammates better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->