Is Matthews the best goal scorer to enter the leauge since OV?

Is Matthews the best pure scorer to enter the league since OV?

• Yes

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • No, but top 3

Votes: 41 24.8%
  • No, but top 5

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • No, but top 10

Votes: 48 29.1%
  • No, not even top 10

Votes: 26 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Crosby
Malkin
Tarasenko
Stamkos
Kucherov
Laine

And I could list others who have been great goal scorers for a lot longer but will leave them off for now. Those 6 at the very least have arguments. Kucherov is hardly the only player with an argument in this one.

Matthews has not done it long enough or at the level that Crosby, Malkin and Stamkos have...Tarasenko has done what Matthews has done for multiple years as has Kucherov...while Laine is more of a pure goal scorer and has a similar overall pace since coming into the league (0.48 vs 0.51).

Now if he pots 50 this year, then we can start talking about him as the best since Stamkos. He has to do that first though.

I mean if you are going to make a list do it right don't put Laine on the list when he was out scored by Matthews last year and so far being out scored by Matthews again, in fact he's being out scored 6 to 2 so at this point it isn't close

Same thing with Stamkos, now he does have 11 assists so he is producing but he has 2 goals

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I mean if you are going to make a list do it right don't put Laine on the list when he was out scored by Matthews last year and so far being out scored by Matthews again, in fact he's being out scored 6 to 2 so at this point it isn't close

Same thing with Stamkos, now he does have 11 assists so he is producing but he has 2 goals
The question wasn't who is the best goal scorer right now.

Stamkos has way more goal scoring accomplishments than Matthews has and probably ever will have. Laine is closer but Matthews had 4 more goals in 9 more games and was actually slightly out paced last season. A 7 game stretch is not enough for me to not include him as someone that has an argument...as I said I still have Matthews slightly ahead for now but you'd be pretty arrogant to claim he has no argument.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
I wouldn’t consider Matthews a pure goal scorer. Too many of his goals are tap in’s, rebounds, garbage goals to be considered a pure goal scorer

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Yay for small sample sizes. Stamkos is clearly the best goalscorer to enter the league since Ovechkin. It really shouldn't be debatable at this point.

I think you could reasonably project Matthews to be at least as good as anyone else, but I think he'll have to prove he can top Stamkos

Mar 26, 2010
Yes, Matthews is the best. This will be proved.

Haters gonna hate.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You can make an arguement for Kucherov but that's it

Matthews is at worst #2

Huh Kucherov isn't even the best goal scorer on his own team, Stamkos put up 42 goals in his sleep 2 seasons ago. His worst goal scoring season in 8 years was only a 36 goal season.

Stamkos is #2 not even close. Let me know when someone else scores 60.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The question wasn't who is the best goal scorer right now.

Stamkos has way more goal scoring accomplishments than Matthews has and probably ever will have. Laine is closer but Matthews had 4 more goals in 9 more games and was actually slightly out paced last season. A 7 game stretch is not enough for me to not include him as someone that has an argument...as I said I still have Matthews slightly ahead for now but you'd be pretty arrogant to claim he has no argument.

Reading comprehension is a little hard for some fans.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Crosby, Stamkos, Malkin, Tarasenko, Kucherov, Perry. That i have before him at the moment. Plus i'd put laine ahead as a pure goal score at the moment. Top 10

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I wouldn’t consider Matthews a pure goal scorer. Too many of his goals are tap in’s, rebounds, garbage goals to be considered a pure goal scorer
dumb justification but you're not wrong in your conclusion. Matthews dominates in too many facets of the game (all of them to be precise) to be considered a pure goal scorer

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
dumb justification but you're not wrong in your conclusion. Matthews dominates in too many facets of the game (all of them to be precise) to be considered a pure goal scorer

How so? He scores most of his goals with smart positioning and being a puck magnet

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I tell you what; after seeing Matthews intercept Benn's clearing chip against Montreal and bury it, and his taking that pass from his winger late one game and knocking it down/teeing it up/shooting it/scoring within a second - there's no doubt this guys the real deal.

Ken Wreggets revenge

Sep 28, 2017
lets wait until he scores more than 40 in a regular season before we build him a crown

Wait, didn't you see his photos from the draft?

He took photos with both his gold crown and scepter for home games

BIZggBP.jpg

And his blue crown and scepter for away games.

tYPSkUf.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RayB

Horvath Broncos

Aug 21, 2013
This is just ridicilious. Let's see if he is even best from his draft first.

He very well may be the best since Ovechkin, but holy hell is this bit early. Lot of things can still happen. Remember when MacKinnon was going to overtake Crosby.

As for the question I would still take atleast Kucherov, Stamkos, Tarasenko and Crosby over him. Though I am not sure what OP means by pure goal scorer. I mean I don't see Matthews as one nor do I think the players I listed above are ones either.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Matthews still underrated on the main boards :laugh:. Man are you guys going to take it hard when Matthews is the main contender for the Rocket and possibly even the Art Ross every year.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016

Id say matthews is ahead of laine as of now as a goalscorer but you should take into consideration on how dysfunctional the jets are as a team. The leafs as a whole are so much better at creating chances its not even funny. If matthews and laine has 300 shots on goal each i think both has the potential for 50 goals. Again matthews is slightly ahead in goalscoring in my opinion.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Matthews still underrated on the main boards :laugh:. Man are you guys going to take it hard when Matthews is the main contender for the Rocket and possibly even the Art Ross every year.
Most people won't take it hard. Most people just want to see a bit more before agreeing with Matthews being the goalscorer, better than McDavid and a generational talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad