Is Matthews the best goal scorer to enter the leauge since OV?

Is Matthews the best pure scorer to enter the league since OV?

• Yes

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • No, but top 3

Votes: 41 24.8%
  • No, but top 5

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • No, but top 10

Votes: 48 29.1%
  • No, not even top 10

Votes: 26 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Well this isn't premature by any means.

Stamkos? Crosby? Tarasenko?

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
see, it's threads like these that make people not appreciate a great player like matthews

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Matthews is the best since Tarasenko,
who is the best since Stamkos, who is the best since Ovechkin.
LOL. Tarasenko scored 40 goals 1 time, in his fourth NHL season at the age of 25. Matthews did it during his first NHL season at 19.
Tarasenko can't hold Matthews' jock strap.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
LOL. Tarasenko scored 40 goals 1 time, in his fourth NHL season at the age of 25. Matthews did it during his first NHL season at 19.
Agreed. This thread's about a comparison to Stamkos, including someone like Tarasenko is reaching.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I agree the Matthews threads are a bit much, but I do find it hilarious that on a message board literally named Hockeys Future, we are only allowed to talk about what has happened. Makes me chuckle.

DrRad

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, its not like he's scored 37, 39 and 40 goals while only playing a full 82 games once.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
The answer is no.

So far though, he is top 10, that may change in the future, for better or worse.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
I agree the Matthews threads are a bit much, but I do find it hilarious that on a message board literally named Hockeys Future, we are only allowed to talk about what has happened. Makes me chuckle.

Beginning a question with "is" will tend to do that. Present state. Not, "Can Matthews become?" And at present, he hasn't done enough or been in the league long enough to separate himself from more guys who have been scoring at elite levels for the better part of a decade.

Matthews still underrated on the main boards :laugh:. Man are you guys going to take it hard when Matthews is the main contender for the Rocket and possibly even the Art Ross every year.

You can make an arguement for Kucherov but that's it

Matthews is at worst #2

"I like your Matthews, I do not like his fans."
~Ghandi

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Beginning a question with "is" will tend to do that. Present state. Not, "Can Matthews become?" And at present, he hasn't done enough or been in the league long enough to separate himself from more guys who have been scoring at elite levels for the better part of a decade.

You are right in this case, just something I noticed a lot lately.

I guess as for the question, he has proven to be a 40 goal scorer as a rookie. That puts him in the conversation, I'd think a back to back 40 goal seasons would have him in the top 2 or 3 and a 3rd 40 goal season would have him planted firmly at #2.

My list is based on their careers to date:

Ovi
Stamkos
Tarasenko
Crosby
Matthews
Kessel

This is trying to balance last year and career with last year holding a bit more weight. I voted Top 3 but change that to Top 5.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
I guess as for the question, he has proven to be a 40 goal scorer as a rookie. That puts him in the conversation, I'd think a back to back 40 goal seasons would have him in the top 2 or 3 and a 3rd 40 goal season would have him planted firmly at #2.

It makes him an interesting prospect. Selanne scored 76 goals in his rookie season.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Stamkos is. I don't know what's crazier, the assertion that he's proven himself as a better goal scorer than Stamkos when Stammer has multiple 50 goal seasons, and Matthews has only a rookie season of 40 goals as well as 6 goals in 7 games this year, or the fact over 20 people here don't even think he's top 10 lol.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Stamkos is. I don't know what's crazier, the assertion that he's proven himself as a better goal scorer than Stamkos when Stammer has multiple 50 goal seasons, and Matthews has only a rookie season of 40 goals as well as 6 goals in 7 games this year, or the fact over 20 people here don't even think he's top 10 lol.

I think he has an argument for top 5, and that was enough for me to vote it.

Stamkos, to me, is the clear choice after Ovechkin right now. After that, I think it gets harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->