Is Matthews the best goal scorer to enter the leauge since OV?

Is Matthews the best pure scorer to enter the league since OV?

• Yes

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • No, but top 3

Votes: 41 24.8%
  • No, but top 5

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • No, but top 10

Votes: 48 29.1%
  • No, not even top 10

Votes: 26 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I feel bad for the sane Leafs fans on here.

[sigh] Yeah once upon a time we had some moral high ground because most of the threads were started by Oilers/Laine fans to disparage Matthews.

Now we have fallen in with the Oilers with the constant "Tell us how great our guy is" threads.

I would give him a couple more seasons before trying to declare him the best anything, but that's just me. Let his numbers speak for themselves, I assure you people will listen to those.

Reactions: TDK88 and Spazkat

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
He's up there but until he actually gets the goals I don't know how anyone wouldn't pick Stamkos as the best goal scorer since Ovechkin.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
List them, and you can't use Ovi because the question is, is Matthews the best since Ovi
Crosby
Malkin
Tarasenko
Stamkos
Kucherov
Laine

And I could list others who have been great goal scorers for a lot longer but will leave them off for now. Those 6 at the very least have arguments. Kucherov is hardly the only player with an argument in this one.

Matthews has not done it long enough or at the level that Crosby, Malkin and Stamkos have...Tarasenko has done what Matthews has done for multiple years as has Kucherov...while Laine is more of a pure goal scorer and has a similar overall pace since coming into the league (0.48 vs 0.51).

Now if he pots 50 this year, then we can start talking about him as the best since Stamkos. He has to do that first though.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Crosby
Malkin
Tarasenko
Stamkos
Kucherov
Laine

And I could list others who have been great goal scorers for a lot longer but will leave them off for now. Those 6 at the very least have arguments. Kucherov is hardly the only player with an argument in this one.

Matthews has not done it long enough or at the level that Crosby, Malkin and Stamkos have...Tarasenko has done what Matthews has done for multiple years as has Kucherov...while Laine is more of a pure goal scorer and has a similar overall pace since coming into the league (0.48 vs 0.51).

Now if he pots 50 this year, then we can start talking about him as the best since Stamkos. He has to do that first though.
Laine actually has zero argument for being better than Matthews since he's scored fewer goals at a lower rate

Reactions: TDK88

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Laine actually has zero argument for being better than Matthews since he's scored fewer goals at a lower rate
That's not really how it works.

I can easily argue he's a more talented goal scorer and project him better given his ridiculous shot. Doesn't mean I would put him ahead but there is an argument based on last year. Too small of a sample size to use this year imo.

Last season:
Matthews - 0.488
Laine - 0.493

There is an argument. 7 games of this season doesn't change that.

Reactions: randomhockeyfan

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
and this is why Leafs fans rub it in when they do well. People like you love when they fail

Nope, but when other good young players have a strong 7 game sample, you don't see 6 threads on the main boards asking if he's generational, better than McDavid, best goal scorer in the league, etc, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad