Is Matthews making Ovi look a bit replacable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Ovi is seen by some as the last player that will ever hit 700 goals, the best goal scorer ever etc. Matthews last season had 55 goal pace, this season 62 goal pace, and has never had below a 40 goal pace over 82.

Could Matthews also be a candidate to top 894? His scoring consistency is starting to make Ovi's numbers look like they aren't that special. I know Ovi has won the Richard for a long time and I like Ovi, so kindly post only if you have something to add here.

I just don't see Ovi being as special as he's made out to be from a goal scoring perspective (he is good at other things like playmaking) with Matthews performing like this (if he can keep this consistency). That is all.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Why didnt you just bump you passing of the torch thread?
I guess that was a discussion about if Laine was suppose to take the torch if I remember correctly but then Matthews took it instead.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think if you look at Stamkos, who actually scored 60 once (not just paced for it like Matthews), scored 51 another time, and has had several other 40 goal seasons in his career, and how he's still only sitting at 438, you'll quickly realize you may have jumped the gun on this thread.

Stamkos won a Richard at age 19 and age 21. Matthews might finally win one at 23 though.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It took over 10 years for someone like Matthews to show up after Ovechkin, so yeah, he’s still pretty special.
Stamkos had a ridiculous start to his career goal-scoring wise too. Ovi consistency over 15 seasons is just ridiculous.

Matthews is the best player on my favorite team. 894? Barring a dramatic scoring rate improvements league-wide that isn't happening. 600 goals is a huge ask in the current scoring environment.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I think if you look at Stamkos, who actually scored 60 once (not just paced for it like Matthews), scored 51 another time, and has had several other 40 goal seasons in his career, and how he's still only sitting at 438, you'll quickly realize you may have jumped the gun on this thread.

Stamkos won a Richard at age 19 and age 21. Matthews might finally win one at 23 though.
Well that goal post in Boston ruined his career sadly. He was suppose to be the next one.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Ovechkin is 35 and comparable to a 23 year old Matthews in terms of goal scoring. His consistency is unrivalled.

Matthews is the best goal scorer in hockey right now imo, but Ovi is the greatest goal scorer in the history of hockey. Let's not get it twisted here.

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ

Matthews is already 23? f*** time flies

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Could Matthews also be a candidate to top 894? His scoring consistency is starting to make Ovi's numbers look like they aren't that special. I know Ovi has won the Richard for a long time and I like Ovi, so kindly post only if you have something to add here.

What's the point of this thread? Bolded especially is factually false... how can Matthew's numbers make Ovechkin's number not look special when Ovechkin's goalscoring is better whatever optic you want to look at?

Ovechkin
- has more goals at the same point in his career,
- had more goals since AM has entered the league
- STILL has a better goals/game ration - which is insane considering his career length
- Something something 9 Rockets to 0 (potentially 1!!)

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Mathews is the best goal scoring center in the NHL right now. Ovi is the greatest pure goal scorer of all time. Auston has a little ways to go.

those paces for Matthew’s are great but Ovi actually has scored 60+goals in a season and a bunch of 50 goal seasons.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Ovi is seen by some as the last player that will ever hit 700 goals, the best goal scorer ever etc. Matthews last season had 55 goal pace, this season 62 goal pace, and has never had below a 40 goal pace over 82.

I just don't see Ovi being as special as he's made out to be from a goal scoring perspective (he is good at other things like playmaking) with Matthews performing like this (if he can keep this consistency). That is all.

What an awful thread and way to make the Leafs fan base look awful. Come off it.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
His scoring consistency is starting to make Ovi's numbers look like they aren't that special.

Kovalchuk scored 40 goals or more 6 season in a row (with 2 50+ in that streak) and considering when he played is first 2, those 2 where close to 40 goals pace now if not superior.

kovalchuk debut pace by 82
18 year's old season: 37
19 year's old season: 38
20 year's old season: 41
lock out
22 year's old season: 55
23 year's old season: 42

Matthews
19 year's old season: 40
20 year's old season: 45
21 year's old season: 47
22 year's old season: 55
23 year's old season: 61.5

Keeping it past that 26, 27 year's old and still being in the Richad conversation all the time like Ovechkin (and Bobby Hull) and being able to play all those games and to always do it is really special (that and how high is peak was), having 5-6-7 good pace/actual scoring season in a row did happen before him (Lafleur, Yzerman, Hull)

Look at Luke Robitaille first 8 season

45-53-46-52-45-44-63-44

All those player existed before Ovechkin and he still looked special.

Last edited:

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
I see we have forgot just how good Ovechkin is/was again

Matthews has yet to match Ovechkins rookie season even though he was a lock last year

I think he can win Rockets, but hes clearly developing his game towards having a presence all over the ice that might lower his goal scoring eventually

Meanwhile Ovechkin is half a season removed from a Rocket race in his golden years

Reactions: JabbaJabba
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad