Is Matthews making Ovi look a bit replacable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Ovechkin's first five season goal totals: 52, 46, 65, 56, 50
Matthews first five season goal totals: 40, 34, 37, 47, 28 (and counting)

Ovechkin has an 86 goal lead over the first 5 seasons. GP is pretty irrelevant when chasing a record like most goals scored - and Ovechkin's durability is definitely a plus over Matthews'.

Now let's remember very few can put up a lengthy goal scoring career like Ovechkin can, and history says that Matthews probably won't be scoring at this rate into mid-30s. Heck, Ovechkin outscored Matthews as a 34 year old last season, and you could predict these are Matthews' best goal-scoring seasons (Ovechkin's best goal-scoring seasons were years 3-4).

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I mean Ovi is still doing it in his mid 30's, so it remains to be seen how long Matthews can be consistent for

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Ovechkin is a freak when it comes to staying physically healthy, that and you know, he's scoring 50+ goals well into his mid-30's... Matthew's hasn't hit that mark once yet.

Matthews is more on par with Kovalchuk/Stamkos than Ovechkin through the first 4 years.

Last edited:

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
What makes Ovechkin special aside from his peak is that he's an elite goal scorer well into his 30s. That is not common. You can't just assume Matthews will do that.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Matthews first five season goal totals: 40, 34, 37, 47, 28 (and counting)

Ovechkin has an 86 goal lead over the first 5 seasons. GP is pretty irrelevant when chasing a record like most goals scored - and Ovechkin's durability is definitely a plus over Matthews'.

Now let's remember very few can put up a lengthy goal scoring career like Ovechkin can, and history says that Matthews probably won't be scoring at this rate into mid-30s. Heck, Ovechkin outscored Matthews as a 34 year old last season, and you could predict these are Matthews' best goal-scoring seasons (Ovechkin's best goal-scoring seasons were years 3-4).

Matthews first five season goal totals (pace): 40, 45, 45, 55, 62

illpucks

May 26, 2011
It's amazing to me that someone could have over 19,000 posts, and still start topics like this.... WTF?
you mean question if a player who had 55 goal pace and 62 goal pace is next Ovi? it's amazing some of the extrapolations when the topic or premise is very reasonable. Might be premature but calling it an awful thread, outlandish etc is illogical as just look at Matthews performance so far.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
you mean question if a player who had 55 goal pace and 62 goal pace is next Ovi? it's amazing some of the extrapolations when the topic or premise is very reasonable. Might be premature but calling it an awful thread, outlandish etc is illogical as just look at Matthews performance so far.

"Pace"

How about the guy wins ONE Rocket first?

Ovechkin is arguably the greatest goal scorer of all time.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
They score in different ways but Ovi has never done anything like this in his career and it makes it look like this is a new level of goalscoring

Would you say that he is the is the most highly evolved goalscorer in hockey history ?

One way to look at it since Matthews entered the nhl:

185 goals in 318 games, 0 Rocket

Past is prime 31 year's old Ovechkin during that time has 200 goals in 348 games with 3 rockets.

islandersbob

Jan 1, 2006
saved me
Ovi is seen by some as the last player that will ever hit 700 goals, the best goal scorer ever etc. Matthews last season had 55 goal pace, this season 62 goal pace, and has never had below a 40 goal pace over 82.

Could Matthews also be a candidate to top 894? His scoring consistency is starting to make Ovi's numbers look like they aren't that special. I know Ovi has won the Richard for a long time and I like Ovi, so kindly post only if you have something to add here.

I just don't see Ovi being as special as he's made out to be from a goal scoring perspective (he is good at other things like playmaking) with Matthews performing like this (if he can keep this consistency). That is all.
Compare the players though their age 23 season. Ovechkin will likely have a 20 goal lead with significantly less games played. There are some things that aren't really working in Matthews favor either. 1. he doesn't have the huge raw number years, everything is PACE. 700 is 700, not PACE for 700. Fact is, 47 is the most he's scored in a season, and he MIGHT have 3 huge goal and 3-4 big goal years left, based on historical averages. He needs to get to 50 real quick and stay there if you expect him to top 894. Gretzky's last 50 goal year was his 28 yo season. 2. his shooting percentage probably won't hover around 16% for his career, which he's currently at. If it does, like Stamkos, although he's closer to 17%, expect his shots per game to drop as he ages. I don't think he's a high enough volume shooter to keep cranking out the goals in high numbers if his shooting % falls or if his shots per game fall. Stamkos, as a model, isn't a league leading goal scorer anymore, but his percentage is still high. 3. he's already prone to miss games, which will likely only get worse as he ages. Stamkos is 85% games played and is considered injury prone. Matthews is 90% games played, at age 23. Stamkos was 99% through his first 5 season like Matthews currently is at. 4. he's going to Arizona soon

Matthews getting 600 would be quite an accomplishment. Stamkos, who has the huge raw number years, will probably get to 600, but it could be tight, as he'll probably hit 600 sometime when he's 35+.

Reactions: AndreRoy and Pez68

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Matthews is about 30 goals behind at the same age. 324 games and 219 goals for Ovechkin at the end of his 23 year old season. Matthews currently sits at 185 goals in 318 games.

I'd say Matthew's chances of catchibg up on Ovechkin as time goes by is slim.

So, no. I don't think they end up comparable scorers.

Reactions: Pez68
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad