Is MacKinnon now the best player in the NHL?

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Not on the same level? Coming from a guy who’s never watched him play. Eichel has been a one man team And Mackinnon played half a dozen years putting up Lower pt totals then eichels ever put up and eichel had two freak injuries keep him out.

People can post their sarcasm and laugh about how biased I am or whatever here. He’s as good.

He’s put up 201 Pts in his last 203 games and has never had a linemate get 65 pts. Sharks fans didn’t believe me when I said he carried evander Kane as the numbers with Kane with Eichel and without Eichel are some of the most radical stats you’ll ever see. And skinner? He Looked good for awhile, had zero goals until he joined eichels line in the 7th game vs LA but totally stopped playing in the second half. He’s no different then anders Lee who has hit forty once more then skinner and have similar numbers. Anyway that’s the best eichels had.

He is faster and proved it at the all star game two years in a row, he has just as good hands (arguably better) like I said he had an awful suppprting cast and this year he improved immensely defensively and from a leadership standpoint.

He finished top five in shots, scoring chances and before he went down was fourth in offensive zone possession and the past two years was ahead of even mcdavid in transition zone rushes.

And ever since Rantanen joined Mackinnons line he doubled his production. Oh yeah that landeskog guy ain’t bad either. If you think Mackinnons whole fifteen more Pts is other level when Eichel missed three weeks and had incompetent linemates like sheary and girgensens (at times) fan on empty net tap ins like it was no ones business, then good for you.

Like I said he’s a victim of circumstance. People can look at this post laugh, smile, quote me but do you know how many times I’ve heard “people laughed and didn’t believe you” when Eichel goes on a tear he’s one of the most consistent performers in the league and has had the lost god
Awful circumstances.

Saying Nathan Mackinnon is on another level is hilarious. Put Rantanen and landeskog with jack and put Mackinnon on the sabres and I guarantee the avs would be just as good if not better, I also guarantee Eichel would put up over 100 pts. This has nothing to do with me liking Eichel, I know his talent because I watch him play. Can’t say the same about most of you. You’ll see, he will win an art ross if given better circumstances.

From a pure offensive skill standpoint, Eichel is other level. He had some skills even better then Connor but obviously Connor is ahead overall.

People have “if it happened this week it’s true” mentality on these boards so of course Mackinnon is being rode like he is, he’s been great, he’s lucky to have such a great line. Just as his linemates are to him. The difference in Pts between the two this year easily made up by switching linemates. He is on another level but nobody watches because his team is awful. And unlike Mackinnon, Eichel produces like a superstar even when his team is
God awful.

While I still don't think Eichel is as good as MacKinnon yet; you're making good points.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Not on the same level? Coming from a guy who’s never watched him play. Eichel has been a one man team And Mackinnon played half a dozen years putting up Lower pt totals then eichels ever put up and eichel had two freak injuries keep him out.

People can post their sarcasm and laugh about how biased I am or whatever here. He’s as good.

He’s put up 201 Pts in his last 203 games and has never had a linemate get 65 pts. Sharks fans didn’t believe me when I said he carried evander Kane as the numbers with Kane with Eichel and without Eichel are some of the most radical stats you’ll ever see. And skinner? He Looked good for awhile, had zero goals until he joined eichels line in the 7th game vs LA but totally stopped playing in the second half. He’s no different then anders Lee who has hit forty once more then skinner and have similar numbers. Anyway that’s the best eichels had.

He is faster and proved it at the all star game two years in a row, he has just as good hands (arguably better) like I said he had an awful suppprting cast and this year he improved immensely defensively and from a leadership standpoint.

He finished top five in shots, scoring chances and before he went down was fourth in offensive zone possession and the past two years was ahead of even mcdavid in transition zone rushes.

And ever since Rantanen joined Mackinnons line he doubled his production. Oh yeah that landeskog guy ain’t bad either. If you think Mackinnons whole fifteen more Pts is other level when Eichel missed three weeks and had incompetent linemates like sheary and girgensens (at times) fan on empty net tap ins like it was no ones business, then good for you.

Like I said he’s a victim of circumstance. People can look at this post laugh, smile, quote me but do you know how many times I’ve heard “people laughed and didn’t believe you” when Eichel goes on a tear he’s one of the most consistent performers in the league and has had the lost god
Awful circumstances.

Saying Nathan Mackinnon is on another level is hilarious. Put Rantanen and landeskog with jack and put Mackinnon on the sabres and I guarantee the avs would be just as good if not better, I also guarantee Eichel would put up over 100 pts. This has nothing to do with me liking Eichel, I know his talent because I watch him play. Can’t say the same about most of you. You’ll see, he will win an art ross if given better circumstances.

From a pure offensive skill standpoint, Eichel is other level. He had some skills even better then Connor but obviously Connor is ahead overall.

People have “if it happened this week it’s true” mentality on these boards so of course Mackinnon is being rode like he is, he’s been great, he’s lucky to have such a great line. Just as his linemates are to him. The difference in Pts between the two this year easily made up by switching linemates. He is on another level but nobody watches because his team is awful. And unlike Mackinnon, Eichel produces like a superstar even when his team is
God awful.

tldr1.gif

mattcookefan

Nov 6, 2013
Matt Cooke's house
I expected the OP to elaborate "Now that Crosby, Kucherov, and Malkin are eliminated and McDavid never made the playoffs, is MacKinnon the best player still playing NHL hockey right now?" - which could be some level of debate.

But lol, OP actually meant outright best?
Lol you think malkin (and crosby for that matter) are currently better than mackinnon right now?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don’t think he’s the closest to mcdavid, Eichel is closer to mcdavid then Mackinnon.
Mack had just 15 more Pts while Eichel missed three weeks and didn’t have a Rantanen or a landeskog, the best winger he’s ever had is skinner who is no different then Anders Lee when it comes to production, actually Lee hit forty twice while Eichel helped skinner to forty for the first time. Eichs never had a linemates hit 70 Pts, even Barkov has guys who have done that. Then you compare eichels point per game compared to Mackinnon and it’s not even close. Also everyone bragging about Mackinnons speed, while explosive Eichel beat him two years in a row at speed skating all star game skills comp, best everyone but mcdavid.

Browsing this thread and it’s absolutely astonishing how under appreciated some guys are.
People saying things like “he’s the closest thing to mcdavid.” OPEN YOUR EYES. There are younger players like Barkov and the one I mentioned doing more impressive things on a nightly basis at a younger age. Don’t talk to me about making
The playoffs when Hockey is a team game and a star forward only plays one third of a game.

Mack is there but don’t tell me he’s not helped by star wingers, of course he is, he is absolutely not on another level then those two. Everything from hands to speed Eichel is better then Mackinnon at and he’s proven this every year. Mackinnons better at having better linemates.

...Barkov is exactly 1 day younger than MacKinnon...

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario

Awful circumstances.

God awful.

They're also only a year apart in age. Not Mackinnons fault he started earlier. You're saying this like it's a bad thing.

Mackinnon started off on the 2nd/3rd line in his first years and wasn't given as many PP opportunities as Eichel did. He wasn't really given the same opportunities as Eichel until Duchene was traded. I think you're really undermining Eichels linemates here, while he didn't have linemates like Stastny, Landeskog or Rantenen, Eichel has had some alright linemates. Not mention a decent PP.

In the future Eichel may be better than Mackinnon. But he has yet to prove that. Everything bolded is pure opinion and doesn't hold much value.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Seems like the Eichel fans may never let his hype die. Can we let this guy be a good/great player without comparing him to McDavid?? I was called "ridiculous" for suggesting he would be in the Tavares/Seguin tier when he was drafted because (according to American networks), he was the best prospect since Crosby not names McDavid.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Eichel never put up a ppg until having a 40g scorer on his wing. He had basically a 30g scorer in Kane for a few years. But that wasn't enough.

Jack Eichels lack of personal and team success are because the people surrounding him are not good enough.

If Jack Eichel played with a 50g scorer on one wing and maybe a 45g scorer on the other he would clearly out point MacKinnon. I guarantee it.

Jack Eichel should not be blamed for everyone around him never being good enough.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018

Awful circumstances.

God awful.
Hey guys I think we may have found the real Jack Eichels HF handle!

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
IMHO after seeing Mackinnon play recently I believe he has developed into the best player in the NHL. He is an absolute beast of a player who looks unstoppable if on top of his game. His speed and stick handling is comparable to McDavid's and he has a much better shot and is also stronger. He also seems to be more mature and a better leader at this point in time.

I guess to me the only question is consistency. If he can play like he did in game 3 consistently then for me I would take him first if I was starting a new team.

Thoughts?

No.

Please close the thread.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Why is everyone here putting Mackinnon ahead of Kucherov. Kuch had 29 more points than Mackinnon. For comparison Mackinnon had 29 more points than Mike Hoffman. Shows how big of a gap there is.

I would have top 5

Mcdavid
Kucherov

Crosby
Kane
Mackinnon

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Why is everyone here putting Mackinnon ahead of Kucherov. Kuch had 29 more points than Mackinnon. For comparison Mackinnon had 29 more points than Mike Hoffman. Shows how big of a gap there is.

I would have top 5

Mcdavid
Kucherov

Crosby
Kane
Mackinnon
MacKinnon has an insane compete level

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
MacK has been amazing to watch these playoffs. Such an explosive beast. McDavid is a beauty don't get it twisted. But this kid....damn! His skating, his IQ, his moves....oh baby! Avs have a legend in the making.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
McDavid is way better than MacKinnon. At golf.

I dunno...Mac was certainly a hacker (friends of mine worked at Cabot and said he returned his rented driver in 2 pieces, another worked at Golf Town and said he had one of the worst swings he has seen), but as Gare Joyce wrote this past summer he worked hard and got his handicap to 6.

Beat that, McJesus :sarcasm:

Reactions: Schred

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Remember earlier this season when Gabe stopped Mackinnon from a verbal fight with the coach. Scoring goals and skating fast does not make you a good captain.
I agree with your point, but not every captain is a vocal/Ra Ra leader.

And no, I don’t remember that since I don’t watch the Avs consistently.

He’s got an A already, so are you saying that he got that just cause he skates fast and is a top 4 player in the league?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad