Is MacKinnon now the best player in the NHL?

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
I will be in the minority here when I say this... but I think McDavid is very over-rated. That is not to say that he is less than excellent. No, he is great. But in a team sport, individual stats are only a subset of what constitutes being "the best in the world." To have that title, to me anyway means a) great stats, b) consistent rising to the occasion and carrying your team in the playoffs, c) making everyone around you better, d) making your team, much, much better than they would be w/o you and leading that team to meaningful victories in a consistent manner - during the playoffs, and e) doing all of the above over an extended period of time. G

Given the above criteria, I posit that as great of a skater, as fast, as strong - as much of a highlight real guy he is, McDavid is not eligible for consideration as "world's best." When I see McDavid I see a flashy really, really excellent statistic -getter and exciting guy to watch. But he has accomplished anywhere near "wolrd's best" at
rising to the occasion and carrying his team in the playoffs or making everyone around him better (to an extent beyond everyone else in the league) or leading his team to meaningful victories in a consistent manner. He cannot - in a team sport - be declared the best until he elevates his team.

At best, and I think it can be reasonably argued (but also reasonably refuted as well)--- he is the most exciting individual player and flashy guy to watch and his individual skills are extraordinary. That is saying a great deal about him. Props to him. But he is not the best player in the world in the uncontested manner so many here posit - not until he accomplishes something for his team. Is he capable of doing this - sure. Fact is though, to date... he has not. Until he does, he cannot be ranked defensibly as high as those here seem to rank him --- at least as I see it. One man's opinion, nothing more.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Why is everyone here putting Mackinnon ahead of Kucherov. Kuch had 29 more points than Mackinnon. For comparison Mackinnon had 29 more points than Mike Hoffman. Shows how big of a gap there is.

I would have top 5

Mcdavid
Kucherov

Crosby
Kane
Mackinnon
Interesting take after what just happened to Kuch the last 3 games he played in and the 1 game his team played in without him.

If I had the Panarin Kucherov GIF handy it’d go right here so just picture it... lmao

Guess we can chalk that point total to who the f*** cares anymore where it belongs. Amirite???

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
As a Blues fan I think the world of Ryan O'Reilly as the complete player. But when I watch McKinnon and see his TOI and impact on the Avs, I have to say he's the best player on the ice right now.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Interesting take after what just happened to Kuch the last 3 games he played in and the 1 game his team played in without him.

If I had the Panarin Kucherov GIF handy it’d go right here so just picture it... lmao

Guess we can chalk that point total to who the **** cares anymore where it belongs. Amirite???

That's a 3 game sample size where the entire team collapsed (and he wasn't even that bad tbh). Pretty much irrelevant. From past playoffs we know that Kucherov is great when it matters.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
IMHO after seeing Mackinnon play recently I believe he has developed into the best player in the NHL. He is an absolute beast of a player who looks unstoppable if on top of his game. His speed and stick handling is comparable to McDavid's and he has a much better shot and is also stronger. He also seems to be more mature and a better leader at this point in time.

I guess to me the only question is consistency. If he can play like he did in game 3 consistently then for me I would take him first if I was starting a new team.

Thoughts?

Absolutely the best player in the NHL

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I will be in the minority here when I say this... but I think McDavid is very over-rated. That is not to say that he is less than excellent. No, he is great. But in a team sport, individual stats are only a subset of what constitutes being "the best in the world." To have that title, to me anyway means a) great stats, b) consistent rising to the occasion and carrying your team in the playoffs, c) making everyone around you better, d) making your team, much, much better than they would be w/o you and leading that team to meaningful victories in a consistent manner - during the playoffs, and e) doing all of the above over an extended period of time. G

Given the above criteria, I posit that as great of a skater, as fast, as strong - as much of a highlight real guy he is, McDavid is not eligible for consideration as "world's best." When I see McDavid I see a flashy really, really excellent statistic -getter and exciting guy to watch. But he has accomplished anywhere near "wolrd's best" at
rising to the occasion and carrying his team in the playoffs or making everyone around him better (to an extent beyond everyone else in the league) or leading his team to meaningful victories in a consistent manner. He cannot - in a team sport - be declared the best until he elevates his team.

At best, and I think it can be reasonably argued (but also reasonably refuted as well)--- he is the most exciting individual player and flashy guy to watch and his individual skills are extraordinary. That is saying a great deal about him. Props to him. But he is not the best player in the world in the uncontested manner so many here posit - not until he accomplishes something for his team. Is he capable of doing this - sure. Fact is though, to date... he has not. Until he does, he cannot be ranked defensibly as high as those here seem to rank him --- at least as I see it. One man's opinion, nothing more.

If one player is clearly better than the others but doesn't meet all of these milestones, why shouldn't we recognize them as the best? Best is a relative term, so it's a benchmark that changes with the competition, not some sort of absolute title that can only be earned by achieving certain quests. And we have a best player at all times. I mean if every current star retired on the same day, would there not be a new best player until someone came in & achieved these benchmarks?

Reactions: MacBradley

Tike Myson

Jan 1, 2019
USA
Fellow Avs fans will probably crucify me for this but IMO Landeskog is as good, if not better, of a captain that Joe Sakic was. Landy will retain the C for his duration in Colorado.

07DD870A-AA9A-4C19-BD01-5480DED23882.gif

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Mackinnon is supposedly the best golfer in the NHL lol. I know a guy who works on a course in Halifax and Mackinnon shoots under par on a regular basis. I read a few articles about him too.

Nate actually invented golf. When he retires from the NHL, he'll invest some of his money in a small start-up that eventually discovers time-travel technology.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Mackinnon is supposedly the best golfer in the NHL lol. I know a guy who works on a course in Halifax and Mackinnon shoots under par on a regular basis. I read a few articles about him too.

his handicap is 6. Mantha is a PLUS 2, Mac is nowhere near the best in the NHL but is still a very good golfer.

There are guys in the league who could have done stuff in golf...Mac was a hacker until like 2 yrs ago

Reactions: MacBradley

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
This is a silly question.

A better question is he the best player left in the playoffs. That he might have a legitimate argument for.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
This is a silly question.

A better question is he the best player left in the playoffs. That he might have a legitimate argument for.

He might be the best player remaining in this year’s playoffs. But definitely not overall.

He's probably the best player still playing this season.

OR IS HE THE GREATESR HOCKEY AND GOLF PLAYER TO EVER LIVE!!!!! POSSSIBLY THE GREATEST HUMAN TO EVER LIVE EVEN!!!!!!

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
Mackinnon is a top 5 player for sure. Dude is a monster.

Best in the NHL? Debatable, but probably not.

Now, if you want to talk about most valuable asset in the NHL? He's got a really strong case based on what he brings versus his contract.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
1. McDavid
2. Kucherov
3. Mackinnon

Pretty cut and dry at this very moment.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
1. McDavid
2. Kucherov
3. Mackinnon

Pretty cut and dry at this very moment.

Cut and dry? Have any of these guys carried their teams --- consistently --- to meaningful victories? Did any of these guys elevate their respective teams to consistent playoff success? Which of these guys are characterized by being the man singled out by the opposition - when it really matters (playoffs early, late, SCF)--- and yet they continue to shine and make those around them better? Which of these guys are great 200-ft players --- among the top 3 200ft players in the league? Which of these guys are great defensively? Which ones are characterized by gritty, do-whatever-it-takes sacrificial play that wins championships? Which ones excel - among the best in the league in all around play - defensive, fore-check, back-check, board battles, net front presence, scoring, assists, etc. --- such that they are the best three in the league?

Or...

are these guys merely young extremely talented and promising & exciting scorers who give nice highlight real flashy play?

All three are great. No doubt. All three are excellent offensively - at least at scoring. I am not bashing any of them. But all are young and none of them are 200-ft players of note --- at least not numbered among the best in the league (in all around 200 ft play elevating their team to great heights). None of them have yet accomplished anything of note for their respective teams - at least anything that can be argued as better then all the rest of the players in the league. Not yet. All three are young. None have come yet to the point where they can stake a claim to league best. Again my opinion.

Vjbasile87

Mar 30, 2018
IMHO after seeing Mackinnon play recently I believe he has developed into the best player in the NHL. He is an absolute beast of a player who looks unstoppable if on top of his game. His speed and stick handling is comparable to McDavid's and he has a much better shot and is also stronger. He also seems to be more mature and a better leader at this point in time.

I guess to me the only question is consistency. If he can play like he did in game 3 consistently then for me I would take him first if I was starting a new team.

Thoughts?
I’ll still take Sid Kuch or Mcdavid for sure over him

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
The overreactions and recency bias on this site are always hilarious.

Last edited:

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008

I love this post and agree 100%. McDavid is the shiny new toy that we've never seen before (his speed and hands while going at said speed). If/when guys match his speed which is bound to happen as new guys come up or he slows down, he is going to look like every other really good player in the league because his IQ and passing will still be world class.

My point of why he should not be considered "the best" is because his game is not well-rounded. He doesn't have an AO/Stamkos shot to fall back on. Faceoffs, pretty poor. Defensive forward, below average. Leadership/clutchness/carrying your team and all those other non-statistical things we can argue for days, but it is sad that two of arguably the top ten players in the world can not get into the playoffs. Sid/Geno never had that problem and some of those Pens teams were god-awful defensively.

MacKinnon, while not "the best" in any one category, I feel has his game more rounded than McDavid. Speed is right behind Connors. Shot is wayyyyy better, both slap, snap, and wrist. Hands are on par. Passing on par. Faceoffs, they both suck. MacKinnon is finally really putting those non-statisticals together and putting his team on his shoulders when he has to.

The argument from a few guys here is that Rantanen is making MacKinnon what he is. While Rants doesnt hurt obviously, Duchene's cancerous shadow leaving is what really opened up the opportunity for MacKinnon to make this team his and carry them. Anyone who watches MacKinnon play consistently should be able to see that he is playing at a level above everyone right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad