Is MacKinnon now the best player in the NHL?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I don’t think he’s the closest to mcdavid, Eichel is closer to mcdavid then Mackinnon.
Mack had just 15 more Pts while Eichel missed three weeks and didn’t have a Rantanen or a landeskog, the best winger he’s ever had is skinner who is no different then Anders Lee when it comes to production, actually Lee hit forty twice while Eichel helped skinner to forty for the first time. Eichs never had a linemates hit 70 Pts, even Barkov has guys who have done that. Then you compare eichels point per game compared to Mackinnon and it’s not even close. Also everyone bragging about Mackinnons speed, while explosive Eichel beat him two years in a row at speed skating all star game skills comp, best everyone but mcdavid.

Browsing this thread and it’s absolutely astonishing how under appreciated some guys are.
People saying things like “he’s the closest thing to mcdavid.” OPEN YOUR EYES. There are younger players like Barkov and the one I mentioned doing more impressive things on a nightly basis at a younger age. Don’t talk to me about making
The playoffs when Hockey is a team game and a star forward only plays one third of a game.

Mack is there but don’t tell me he’s not helped by star wingers, of course he is, he is absolutely not on another level then those two. Everything from hands to speed Eichel is better then Mackinnon at and he’s proven this every year. Mackinnons better at having better linemates.
:laugh:

Eichel doesn’t belong anywhere near the discussion.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
MacKinnon played with Tim Thomas, Bergy, Chara, Seidenberg, Krejci, Lucic, Horton, Seidenberg, Rask yet?

No but some would argue that currently the Avs collectively has more talent/youth in their lineup

look I'm not taking away anything from MacKinnon, but please hold the horses to claim him supreme.... not just yet

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I've watched over 70 of our games this year, you think I might just know when we are playing our game or not ? Did I say anything negative about the Avs ? You know when your team gets over 50 shots a game in consecutive games, it's not because you're "just flattening the Flames game". Two things have to occur, your team has to play awesome, mine has to play awful. There is no doubt the Avs are running on all cylinders, and the Flames are not.
While you're right that the Flames aren't firing on all cylinders, you also have to recognize that playoff hockey is far different than regular season hockey and its quite likely that the Flames simply can not fire on all cylinders in the playoffs the way they could in the regular season. The biggest contributing factor to this is Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan. Gaudreau has now proven in 3 consecutive series that he can't overcome the tighter physical style where refs let a lot more go when he is being relied on to be the team's driving force. The only series he has ever produced in is the Vancouver series which was a very poor roster that did not play Gaudreau hard and physically. This has a trickle down effect to Monahan because Monahan doesn't produce unless Gaudreau is producing.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Nope, but MacKinnon is probably the most dynamic and exciting. More so than McDavid even.
As somebody who watches both of these players a lot (probably one of MacKinnon's biggest fans outside of Colorado), I don't think I can agree with that statement. Both of these players put you on the edge of your seat every time they touch the puck because you know something is going to happen. For me however, I find McDavid's puck control is more consistent than MacKinnon's which makes him more consistently dynamic and exciting. MacK mishandles and loses the puck more when making moves and attacking defenders with speed, but he also has a lethal shot that can score from anywhere and that is something McDavid isn't quite on the same level with. I do think it shows just how dynamic McDavid is given that he scores as many goals as MacKinnon despite not possessing that insane shot.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
As somebody who watches both of these players a lot (probably one of MacKinnon's biggest fans outside of Colorado), I don't think I can agree with that statement. Both of these players put you on the edge of your seat every time they touch the puck because you know something is going to happen. For me however, I find McDavid's puck control is more consistent than MacKinnon's which makes him more consistently dynamic and exciting. MacK mishandles and loses the puck more when making moves and attacking defenders with speed, but he also has a lethal shot that can score from anywhere and that is something McDavid isn't quite on the same level with. I do think it shows just how dynamic McDavid is given that he scores as many goals as MacKinnon despite not possessing that insane shot.

Obviously McDavid is better but i just mean that MacKinnon plays a flashier game. At least to me, I find him more fun to watch.

Reactions: gary69

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Obviously McDavid is better but i just mean that MacKinnon plays a flashier game. At least to me, I find him more fun to watch.
I guess that's understandable. He has a unique skating style that is so powerful and chaotic, and he does play physical at times (albeit so did McDavid in the playoffs which was fun to watch). I think part of that probably comes from the line MacKinnon plays on also. McDavid-Drai is an incredible duo, but they really don't have that great 3rd wheel on the line so sometimes the 3rd guy on that line kills a lot of plays for the two. In comparison the Mikko MacK Landeskog line really doesn't have a weak link so they are probably more exciting to watch on a shift to shift basis.

To me though, there is still no one in the league that is as mesmerizing as watching McDavid pick up the puck behind his own net and go end to end through 5 opponents.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Not sure if he is the best player in the NHL but I think he is much better than Goudreau and I am not just basing that off this series. And this coming from a non Avs or Flames fan. He just does so many things better than Goudreau.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Not sure if he is the best player in the NHL but I think he is much better than Goudreau and I am not just basing that off this series. And this coming from a non Avs or Flames fan. He just does so many things better than Goudreau.
I wouldn't put Gaudreau in this conversation. I think McDavid / MacKinnon / Crosby / Kucherov / Barkov, are the only ones in it.

When it comes to playoff performers, I take MacKinnon. I'm sure McDavid would also be incredible in the playoffs, but we need to see it.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Gaudreau doesn't belong in this conversation. He's a good player, but he's not in that top 5 player discussion.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

Why are people comparing the 1OA to a 3rd rounder?

But yeah now that the Mc is out the Mac is stealing the show. He's lit up.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
While you're right that the Flames aren't firing on all cylinders, you also have to recognize that playoff hockey is far different than regular season hockey and its quite likely that the Flames simply can not fire on all cylinders in the playoffs the way they could in the regular season. The biggest contributing factor to this is Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan. Gaudreau has now proven in 3 consecutive series that he can't overcome the tighter physical style where refs let a lot more go when he is being relied on to be the team's driving force. The only series he has ever produced in is the Vancouver series which was a very poor roster that did not play Gaudreau hard and physically. This has a trickle down effect to Monahan because Monahan doesn't produce unless Gaudreau is producing.

Trust me, I know JH and Monny are Ghosts in the playoffs, I'm talking nearly entire team playing sub par, I can live with losing when I see we are giving it our all and are simply outmatched, that is not the case, guys are playing uncharacteristically bad, like Backlund. James Neal has somehow found another gear, gear in reverse that is, to be even more awful than in the regular season. I know what playoffs are about, I've been watching hardcore since 86, we are not even close to playing like we can, i'm not talking about dominating, but just simply competing. it's, mental fragility imo, we've seen this story before in Calgary. Hell even Gio said couple games ago they were playing as if they were scared to lose and needed to change that, that tells you it all. Underdogs like Colorado got nothing to lose, no pressure, just go out there and give it, and they have played great, MacKinnon is a superstar without a doubt, best player by far in that series. Favoured teams can either handle that pressure of being the hunted or they fold, this team so far is folding, this is the adversity people love to talk about in the playoffs, they will either rise to the occasion next game, or people gonna be moving out come off season.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Trust me, I know JH and Monny are Ghosts in the playoffs, I'm talking nearly entire team playing sub par, I can live with losing when I see we are giving it our all and are simply outmatched, that is not the case, guys are playing uncharacteristically bad, like Backlund. James Neal has somehow found another gear, gear in reverse that is, to be even more awful than in the regular season. I know what playoffs are about, I've been watching hardcore since 86, we are not even close to playing like we can, i'm not talking about dominating, but just simply competing. it's, mental fragility imo, we've seen this story before in Calgary. Hell even Gio said couple games ago they were playing as if they were scared to lose and needed to change that, that tells you it all. Underdogs like Colorado got nothing to lose, no pressure, just go out there and give it, and they have played great, MacKinnon is a superstar without a doubt, best player by far in that series. Favoured teams can either handle that pressure of being the hunted or they fold, this team so far is folding, this is the adversity people love to talk about in the playoffs, they will either rise to the occasion next game, or people gonna be moving out come off season.
I see your point with the compete level, but I also think that you need to factor in that this season was a career year for much of the roster, and a lot of these guys were bound to see a drop in play whether it be these playoffs or next year. I still think that the poor play by the top line has a major trickle down effect to the rest of the roster though. Things become a lot easier for the other players to just play their game when the big horses are going out there and making things happen. When you see your leaders failing you it isn't easy to overcome for the rest of the roster.

helax

General Hockey Fan
Apr 2, 2013
How long til he takes Landy’s C?

Serious question,

Remember earlier this season when Gabe stopped Mackinnon from a verbal fight with the coach. Scoring goals and skating fast does not make you a good captain.

Brad Marchant

Feb 28, 2019
MacKinnon is legitimately playing in this series as good as peak McDavid. I have seen McDavid take over games and steamroll teams - and MacK looks indistinguishable. I know that it's sort of an unwritten rule to suggest that anyone but McDavid is the best player in the game, but MacK is playing so amazingly right now that I have to at least put him on par.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Barkov is literally 1 day younger than Mackinnon, not sure how that makes him more impressive. Eichel is younger but currently not on the same level. Mackinnon has cemented himself as a playoff machine everywhere he’s gone (all three playoff series, World Cup, Q playoffs, Memorial Cup), was a very close Hart runner up last season, and will be very high in Hart voting again this year. McDavid is still king but Mackinnon would probably be most GM’s second choice at this stage. He also has the best contract in the league.

Not on the same level? Coming from a guy who’s never watched him play. Eichel has been a one man team And Mackinnon played half a dozen years putting up Lower pt totals then eichels ever put up and eichel had two freak injuries keep him out.

People can post their sarcasm and laugh about how biased I am or whatever here. He’s as good.

He’s put up 201 Pts in his last 203 games and has never had a linemate get 65 pts. Sharks fans didn’t believe me when I said he carried evander Kane as the numbers with Kane with Eichel and without Eichel are some of the most radical stats you’ll ever see. And skinner? He Looked good for awhile, had zero goals until he joined eichels line in the 7th game vs LA but totally stopped playing in the second half. He’s no different then anders Lee who has hit forty once more then skinner and have similar numbers. Anyway that’s the best eichels had.

He is faster and proved it at the all star game two years in a row, he has just as good hands (arguably better) like I said he had an awful suppprting cast and this year he improved immensely defensively and from a leadership standpoint.

He finished top five in shots, scoring chances and before he went down was fourth in offensive zone possession and the past two years was ahead of even mcdavid in transition zone rushes.

And ever since Rantanen joined Mackinnons line he doubled his production. Oh yeah that landeskog guy ain’t bad either. If you think Mackinnons whole fifteen more Pts is other level when Eichel missed three weeks and had incompetent linemates like sheary and girgensens (at times) fan on empty net tap ins like it was no ones business, then good for you.

Like I said he’s a victim of circumstance. People can look at this post laugh, smile, quote me but do you know how many times I’ve heard “people laughed and didn’t believe you” when Eichel goes on a tear he’s one of the most consistent performers in the league and has had the lost god
Awful circumstances.

Saying Nathan Mackinnon is on another level is hilarious. Put Rantanen and landeskog with jack and put Mackinnon on the sabres and I guarantee the avs would be just as good if not better, I also guarantee Eichel would put up over 100 pts. This has nothing to do with me liking Eichel, I know his talent because I watch him play. Can’t say the same about most of you. You’ll see, he will win an art ross if given better circumstances.

From a pure offensive skill standpoint, Eichel is other level. He had some skills even better then Connor but obviously Connor is ahead overall.

People have “if it happened this week it’s true” mentality on these boards so of course Mackinnon is being rode like he is, he’s been great, he’s lucky to have such a great line. Just as his linemates are to him. The difference in Pts between the two this year easily made up by switching linemates. He is on another level but nobody watches because his team is awful. And unlike Mackinnon, Eichel produces like a superstar even when his team is
God awful.

Last edited:
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don’t think he’s the closest to mcdavid, Eichel is closer to mcdavid then Mackinnon.
Mack had just 15 more Pts while Eichel missed three weeks and didn’t have a Rantanen or a landeskog, the best winger he’s ever had is skinner who is no different then Anders Lee when it comes to production, actually Lee hit forty twice while Eichel helped skinner to forty for the first time. Eichs never had a linemates hit 70 Pts, even Barkov has guys who have done that. Then you compare eichels point per game compared to Mackinnon and it’s not even close. Also everyone bragging about Mackinnons speed, while explosive Eichel beat him two years in a row at speed skating all star game skills comp, best everyone but mcdavid.

Browsing this thread and it’s absolutely astonishing how under appreciated some guys are.
People saying things like “he’s the closest thing to mcdavid.” OPEN YOUR EYES. There are younger players like Barkov and the one I mentioned doing more impressive things on a nightly basis at a younger age. Don’t talk to me about making
The playoffs when Hockey is a team game and a star forward only plays one third of a game.

Mack is there but don’t tell me he’s not helped by star wingers, of course he is, he is absolutely not on another level then those two. Everything from hands to speed Eichel is better then Mackinnon at and he’s proven this every year. Mackinnons better at having better linemates.

It's especially ironic that you type, in all caps, "OPEN YOUR EYES" when you clearly haven't opened your eyes and taken an honest look at either player. MacKinnon is clearly the faster player on the ice in an NHL game where it actually matters. Eichel is not doing anything anywhere near as impressive as what MacKinnon is doing and neither is Barkov (who is literally one day younger than MacKinnon). The fact that you can actually say that he is tells me that you don't watch MacKinnon and give yourself a chance to be impressed by him.

People need to stop using the results of an NHL skills competition as a serious measuring stick to compare two players after we just watched Brianna Decker beat Erik Karlsson in the passing drill and Kendall Coyne Schofield beat Clayton Keller in the speed skating drill. Players don't take the skills competition seriously and they especially don't take the speed skating seriously when they're heavily prone to crashing and getting injured in that event. The faster player, for the sake of this discussion, is the one that can use their speed better to positively impact the outcome of an NHL game. That is obviously Nathan MacKinnon and nobody who does their homework on both players will disagree.

If you think I'm wrong, find me some tape of Eichel burning defensemen and using his speed to score on nothing plays like MacKinnon in these 3 videos:

You also said that if you compare Eichel's points per game to MacKinnon's, it's not even close. I'm not sure why you would mention that, though, since you are trying to defend Eichel? MacKinnon is at 1.26 P/GP over the past two years, good for 4th in the NHL, while Eichel is at 1.01 P/GP, good for 24th. Linemates don't explain a difference of 0.25 points per game. I don't think you're willing to actually get deep into the analytics but I gladly will if you want to. They're all going to tell you that MacKinnon is in another class from Eichel.

You're just not being honest at all here. You've been trying to argue Eichel Vs. MacKinnon for a while now and it's time for you to give up. It's not close. MacKinnon is closer to McDavid than he is to Eichel at this point.

chauron

Jan 5, 2014

Eichel isn’t even the best player of Buffalo, let alone best in NHL. Give it a break.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Not on the same level? Coming from a guy who’s never watched him play. Eichel has been a one man team And Mackinnon played half a dozen years putting up Lower pt totals then eichels ever put up and eichel had two freak injuries keep him out.

People can post their sarcasm and laugh about how biased I am or whatever here. He’s as good.

He’s put up 201 Pts in his last 203 games and has never had a linemate get 65 pts. Sharks fans didn’t believe me when I said he carried evander Kane as the numbers with Kane with Eichel and without Eichel are some of the most radical stats you’ll ever see. And skinner? He Looked good for awhile, had zero goals until he joined eichels line in the 7th game vs LA but totally stopped playing in the second half. He’s no different then anders Lee who has hit forty once more then skinner and have similar numbers. Anyway that’s the best eichels had.

He is faster and proved it at the all star game two years in a row, he has just as good hands (arguably better) like I said he had an awful suppprting cast and this year he improved immensely defensively and from a leadership standpoint.

He finished top five in shots, scoring chances and before he went down was fourth in offensive zone possession and the past two years was ahead of even mcdavid in transition zone rushes.

And ever since Rantanen joined Mackinnons line he doubled his production. Oh yeah that landeskog guy ain’t bad either. If you think Mackinnons whole fifteen more Pts is other level when Eichel missed three weeks and had incompetent linemates like sheary and girgensens (at times) fan on empty net tap ins like it was no ones business, then good for you.

Like I said he’s a victim of circumstance. People can look at this post laugh, smile, quote me but do you know how many times I’ve heard “people laughed and didn’t believe you” when Eichel goes on a tear he’s one of the most consistent performers in the league and has had the lost god
Awful circumstances.

Saying Nathan Mackinnon is on another level is hilarious. Put Rantanen and landeskog with jack and put Mackinnon on the sabres and I guarantee the avs would be just as good if not better, I also guarantee Eichel would put up over 100 pts. This has nothing to do with me liking Eichel, I know his talent because I watch him play. Can’t say the same about most of you. You’ll see, he will win an art ross if given better circumstances.

From a pure offensive skill standpoint, Eichel is other level. He had some skills even better then Connor but obviously Connor is ahead overall.

People have “if it happened this week it’s true” mentality on these boards so of course Mackinnon is being rode like he is, he’s been great, he’s lucky to have such a great line. Just as his linemates are to him. The difference in Pts between the two this year easily made up by switching linemates. He is on another level but nobody watches because his team is awful. And unlike Mackinnon, Eichel produces like a superstar even when his team is
God awful.

"Sharks fans didn’t believe me when I said he carried evander Kane"

Again, why...why would you bring this up? Do you think you were right or something? Do you think Sharks fans are going to eat crow, because you were right that he was a product of Eichel?

Evander Kane in 3 years with Buffalo, WITH EICHEL: 2.09 ES Points/60

Evander Kane in 2 years with San Jose: 2.33 ES Points/60

You were flat out wrong, just like you are here.

And you were also completely off-topic in that thread about Kane, just like you are here. This is a thread about Nathan MacKinnon! Nobody wants to hear you tell us all "rah rah, Eichel is better, you've never watched him play! he carried Evander Kane!" for the thousandth time. If you want to talk about Eichel so badly, you should probably start a thread about him or make a poll comparing him to one of his actual peers like Matthews. Your posts aren't going to be well-received here because they're ignorant and out of place, not because anybody has a vendetta against you or Jack Eichel.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad