Is MacKinnon now the best player in the NHL?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Touché lol, but McDavid’s #s are from a single run where he looked better than the #s IMO...nowhere near his typical level and not as good as Drae...but again it’s a much smaller sample that isn’t yet significant enough to read anything from.

This is Kucherov's first poor playoffs, and is based upon a 3 game sample size (where he still put up 2 pts). Over the previous 62 playoff games, Kucherov had established himself as a very good playoff performer. Playoffs should be considered a strength for Kucherov, not negative, in terms of evaluating him as a player.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This is Kucherov's first poor playoffs, and is based upon a 3 game sample size (where he still put up 2 pts). Over the previous 62 playoff games, Kucherov had established himself as a very good playoff performer. Playoffs should be considered a strength for Kucherov, not negative, in terms of evaluating him as a player.

Hmm, who the f*** was I mixing him up with then? Has Stamkos struggled in the playoffs the last few years?

Either way, my b & thanks for the correction!

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
He's the best player playing right now AINEC. He is dominating the Flames.

Sure Rantanen helps a ton to boost his production. He has that many more assists and goals because of Rantanen compared to playing with Matt Nieto every night. Can say the same thing about Leon Draisatl. But if you think Rantanen makes MacKinnon and its a "not a coincidence" that MacKinnon started his MVP form when Rantanen showed up, then you aren't watching Mac every night. Esepcially these last three playoff games, he is making one of the best defensive teams weve had this season look mediocre at best. Every single time he touches the puck, it has game changing potential, similar to someone else we know. There aren't many players in the league you can say that about.

Ronnbergundy

Jun 18, 2015
Frolunda
It is about making your team better too. That is why Gretzky was the greatest, not just because of his skills and points.

I don't know what your argument even is for Mac over Mc, but points are literally the reason why Gretzky is the greatest. Dude has more assists than any other player has points.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I mean, I guess you could say that Gretzky’s skill and production made his teams better too. It just still comes down to his skill and production.

I guess I don’t get that argument.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Hmm, who the **** was I mixing him up with then? Has Stamkos struggled in the playoffs the last few years?

Either way, my b & thanks for the correction!

Stamkos has poor playoff numbers overall - 53 pts in 70 games for a player who is over P/GP in the regular season. Good playoff numbers in 2017-18 though.

Reactions: cgf

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
I hate this excuse. It’s never that the other team is good. Flames fans constantly pointing out the Avs look good because the Flames aren’t showing up.

In reality it’s actually been the Avs have played great all over the ice and are. What I’m saying is the Avs play simply hasn’t let the Flames play their own game.

The Avs took the lessons from last year and are playing from behind, with the lead and executing.
I've watched over 70 of our games this year, you think I might just know when we are playing our game or not ? Did I say anything negative about the Avs ? You know when your team gets over 50 shots a game in consecutive games, it's not because you're "just flattening the Flames game". Two things have to occur, your team has to play awesome, mine has to play awful. There is no doubt the Avs are running on all cylinders, and the Flames are not.

Last edited:

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
No, this post season he is neck and neck with Stone as best player though. Stone is not as explosive on offense sure but he does so many little things great.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
I've rarely seen him play. Game 4 was incredible. He looked a tier above everyone else. Col will be winning the cup with this guy leading the way. Maybe this year but if not it is definitely coming.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
He’s the closest to Mcdavid for sure.
He’s not really close to Mcdavid though.

1. Mcdavid

2.Mackinnon

I don’t think he’s the closest to mcdavid, Eichel is closer to mcdavid then Mackinnon.
Mack had just 15 more Pts while Eichel missed three weeks and didn’t have a Rantanen or a landeskog, the best winger he’s ever had is skinner who is no different then Anders Lee when it comes to production, actually Lee hit forty twice while Eichel helped skinner to forty for the first time. Eichs never had a linemates hit 70 Pts, even Barkov has guys who have done that. Then you compare eichels point per game compared to Mackinnon and it’s not even close. Also everyone bragging about Mackinnons speed, while explosive Eichel beat him two years in a row at speed skating all star game skills comp, best everyone but mcdavid.

Browsing this thread and it’s absolutely astonishing how under appreciated some guys are.
People saying things like “he’s the closest thing to mcdavid.” OPEN YOUR EYES. There are younger players like Barkov and the one I mentioned doing more impressive things on a nightly basis at a younger age. Don’t talk to me about making
The playoffs when Hockey is a team game and a star forward only plays one third of a game.

Mack is there but don’t tell me he’s not helped by star wingers, of course he is, he is absolutely not on another level then those two. Everything from hands to speed Eichel is better then Mackinnon at and he’s proven this every year. Mackinnons better at having better linemates.

Last edited:

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
He's for sure in the handful of elite guys in the league now. Best... Not yet. Win some playoff series and you'll be in that class

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don’t think he’s the closest to mcdavid, Eichel is closer to mcdavid then Mackinnon.
Mack had just 15 more Pts while Eichel missed three weeks and didn’t have a Rantanen or a landeskog, the best winger he’s ever had is skinner who is no different then Anders Lee when it comes to production, actually Lee hit forty twice while Eichel helped skinner to forty for the first time. Eichs never had a linemates hit 70 Pts, even Barkov has guys who have done that. Then you compare eichels point per game compared to Mackinnon and it’s not even close. Also everyone bragging about Mackinnons speed, while explosive Eichel beat him two years in a row at speed skating all star game skills comp, best everyone but mcdavid.

Browsing this thread and it’s absolutely astonishing how under appreciated some guys are.
People saying things like “he’s the closest thing to mcdavid.” OPEN YOUR EYES. There are younger players like Barkov and the one I mentioned doing more impressive things on a nightly basis at a younger age. Don’t talk to me about making
The playoffs when Hockey is a team game and a star forward only plays one third of a game.

Mack is there but don’t tell me he’s not helped by star wingers, of course he is, he is absolutely not on another level then those two. Everything from hands to speed Eichel is better then Mackinnon at and he’s proven this every year. Mackinnons better at having better linemates.

Looks at thread title > Mackinnon.
Look at discussion > Mackinnon/McDavid.
Look at poster > Eichel thrown into the discussion.

"Younger players like Barkov" :laugh:. That 1 day makes a huge difference.

Look, we get Eichel is better than McDavid, Gretzky, Orr, etc. No need to keep telling us.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
The best player of the NHL keeps changing, but he's always compared to McDavid. So that probably means McDavid is the best.
Before, everyone was compared to Crosby which means he was the best.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017

Do you mind if I use this post to season my french fries?

Tike Myson

Jan 1, 2019
USA
Looks at thread title > Mackinnon.
Look at discussion > Mackinnon/McDavid.
Look at poster > Eichel thrown into the discussion.

"Younger players like Barkov" :laugh:. That 1 day makes a huge difference.

Look, we get Eichel is better than McDavid, Gretzky, Orr, etc. No need to keep telling us.

If I didn’t know any better I’d say he likes Jack Eichel

Tike Myson

Jan 1, 2019
USA
I can’t keep up with everyone’s personal definitions of what is elite, generational and franchise but I know Mack is def. good and our star player

Reactions: Canada Drai

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I propose a qualifier: On any given night. There are just too many great players in the league. So is MacKinnon the best player in the league on any given night? Yes. Definitely.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017

Barkov is literally 1 day younger than Mackinnon, not sure how that makes him more impressive. Eichel is younger but currently not on the same level. Mackinnon has cemented himself as a playoff machine everywhere he’s gone (all three playoff series, World Cup, Q playoffs, Memorial Cup), was a very close Hart runner up last season, and will be very high in Hart voting again this year. McDavid is still king but Mackinnon would probably be most GM’s second choice at this stage. He also has the best contract in the league.

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
Been watching the Flames/Avs series and boy is Mackinnon fun to watch. Speed, stick handling, shot, vision. Does everything at top speed.

McDavid is the better player I guess, but if Mackinnon leads the Avs to a Cup final for instance, I think this question becomes legit.

Reactions: gary69

Tike Myson

Jan 1, 2019
USA
When Landy has a different Jersey. Landy is better suited to this role than Nate is. Nate's gifted, but can be a bit of a hot head.

Not that Gabe can't, but it's a more leadery way.

Totally, we all knew landy would eventually sport the C even soon as he was drafted , he’s just got that presence/energy to him

Reactions: wayninja

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad