Is Lafreniere already a top-10 NHL asset?

Is Lafreniere already a top-10 NHL asset?

• Total voters

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
No way.

ASSETS that are way more valuable than the kid who's never played a game in the NHL, and might never.........

McDavid
Drasaitl
McKinnon
Kucherov
Matthews
Pastarnak
Crosby
Hedman
Eichel
Ovie
Makar
Barkov
Point
Rask
Doughty
Vasilevsky
Malkin
Kane
Marner
Hotby

ANY Gm out there would take one of these guys......and I'm sure I've missed others but I stopped at 20........over some 1OA pick this summer. LOL. It's ridiculous the value some of y'all put on picks/prospects.

Holtby is not even a good goalie anymore, lol.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
With the value of a full ELC from Lafreniere...it's honestly hard to overstate how big of a value that could be.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
No way.

ASSETS that are way more valuable than the kid who's never played a game in the NHL, and might never.........

McDavid
Drasaitl
McKinnon
Kucherov
Matthews
Pastarnak
Crosby
Hedman
Eichel
Ovie
Makar
Barkov
Point
Rask
Doughty
Vasilevsky
Malkin
Kane
Marner
Hotby

ANY Gm out there would take one of these guys......and I'm sure I've missed others but I stopped at 20........over some 1OA pick this summer. LOL. It's ridiculous the value some of y'all put on picks/prospects.
D-d-did you just say Braden Holtby?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
D-d-did you just say Braden Holtby?

Yeah.

That's another thing about this place. A player has ONE down year and suddenly they are worthless. LOL. It's ridiculous. Hotby is still a top tier Goalie and he's only 30. He's not "done".

Some of y'all seriously need to look at the bigger picture sometimes.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Yeah.

That's another thing about this place. A player has ONE down year and suddenly they are worthless. LOL. It's ridiculous. Hotby is still a top tier Goalie and he's only 30. He's not "done".

lol

If Caps worked out a trade with 3 teams - and if you combined the value of the return of all 3 trades - it still wouldn't be worth half what Lafreniere would fetch if the team who wins his pick decides to trade him.

Do you know NHL?

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Yeah.

He is also a UFA and turns 31 in Sept.

You are usually a great poster, but if you seriously think Braden Holtby (and Ovechkin Rask Doughty Vasilievsky Kane Malkin for that matter) is more valuable than Lafreniere, I dont know what to say.

I thought that was satire when I initially saw your original post

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
He is also a UFA and turns 31 in Sept.

You are usually a great poster, but if you seriously think Braden Holtby (and Ovechkin Rask Doughty Vasilievsky Kane Malkin for that matter) is more valuable than Lafreniere, I dont know what to say.

I thought that was satire when I initially saw your original post

They're all WAY more valuable than an undrafted kid.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think it’s safe to say that a GM would take Lafreniere over any 30+ player in the league. It might mean taking a small step back in the short-term, but well worth it.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
You're out to lunch with your valuation of Auston Matthews as an asset.

Those who are 100% worth more than him are limited to 1 name: Connor McDavid
Those who are on the same tier as Matthews are: MacKinnon, Dahlin, Eichel, Matthews - all in whatever order.

So at worst he's #5, and can be as high as #2. You can probably also fit Kucherov and Pastrnak in that second tier.
I'm out to lunch? Dude, you're in the heavy minority when it comes to claiming Matthews is a top 5 asset.

McDavid, MacKinnon, Draisaitl are 100% more valuable.

Also, the majority of people would take Eichel, Dahlin, and Pastrnak over Matthews.

I don't think you realize also how bad Dubas got worked in that contract, same with Marners

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I’d probably have him around 18-22.

These are a few guys that come to mind that I’d probably have over Laf.

McDavid
Draisaitl
MacKinnon
Pasta
Kucherov
Matthews
Eichel
Petterson
Barkov
Makar
Heiskanen
Dahlin
Hughes
Aho
Chabot
McAvoy
Point

oof take that Marner coming off 94pts at 21!
McAvoy probably doesnt belong on this list. Three years deep and he has a career high 32pts

swap those and its probably close

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I feel like Lafreniere is getting pretty overrated. He had a great draft year, but he was also 18 for the entire season. I think you can get a better idea of how he projects by looking more at his 17 year old season.

I posted this in another thread, but think it's relevant here as well:

"The Q is a notoriously weak league / easier to produce in.

Here are the top U18 seasons in Q by points per game since 1999:

Here are the top U19 seasons in Q by points per game since 1999:

Like I've said, Lafreniere projects to be a star winger with a very well rounded game, but he's also not the first guy in recent memory to light up the Q. And since he is so old, it really isn't that surprising. His 17 year old season was pretty much in line with guys like Dubois and Huberdeau, who were both late birthdays."

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
No way.

McDavid
Drasaitl
McKinnon
Kucherov
Matthews
Pastarnak
Crosby
Hedman
Eichel
Ovie
Makar
Barkov
Point
Rask
Doughty
Vasilevsky
Malkin
Kane
Marner
Hotby

I don't agree with you.

I believe GMs would deal any of the bolded for Lafreniere with 7 years of control and 3 years of ELC.

Reactions: bobholly39

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
No way.

McDavid
Drasaitl
McKinnon
Kucherov
Matthews
Pastarnak
Crosby
Hedman
Eichel
Ovie
Makar
Barkov
Point
Rask
Doughty
Vasilevsky
Malkin
Kane
Marner
Hotby

I mean, that is a list of mostly all untouchables, though. I said he's not a top 10 player, he's not a better player than any of those guys. For the purpose of this discussion, I consider Crosby, Ovi, Drai, McDavid, Mack, etc. as unmovable pieces. If you're going to compare the value of every 1st overall draft selection to Connor McDavid, then it's pointless to even discuss. Put contract and cap considerations into the mix and you're really looking at a lot different picture than just listing un-movable franchise players and implying he's borderline worthless lol

I never said I'd want my team to give up those kind of assets to get him.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I don't agree with you.

I believe GMs would deal any of the bolded for Lafreniere with 7 years of control and 3 years of ELC.

Yup agreed 100%.

Makar, Barkov and maybe Point are probably close though, but id still have Laf slightly ahead.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Yup agreed 100%.

Makar, Barkov and maybe Point are probably close though, but id still have Laf slightly ahead.

Agreed, I bolded and unbolded each of those a couple times. They are really tough. Makar only would have 1 less year, but is more of a sure thing, and Barkov and Point have a bit of control. Tough call.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Agreed, I bolded and unbolded each of those a couple times. They are really tough. Makar only would have 1 less year, but is more of a sure thing, and Barkov and Point have a bit of control. Tough call.

My hesitance with Point and Barkov is that - a year ago they were both 2-way centers with excellent defensive capabilities who scored 90+ points for the first time. One year later they're both below ppg. If I had faith 90+ was the new norm for them, they're more valuable. I'm a bit unsure about their offensive upside/potential though.

As for Makar - he's only had one season, where he majorly over-exceeded expectations. I'm also not ready to say that's the norm for him, would like to see how he looks in year 2. If I was confident this was the new norm for him, i'd also move him above.

Obviously Laf hasn't even played a single game yet - but I have pretty high confidence in what he'll become at a minimum.

All 4 pretty close in value.

To me how good the player will be is the most important component, above $$ and contracts.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
People are seriously overrating this guy, it's extremely difficult for a winger to have a big impact on a game let alone a rookie. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he struggles in his first year, he doesn't exactly have blazing speed.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
If the search function wasn't so crappy here.....I'd pull up the "Is Kakko/Hughes better than everyone?" threads.

When will everyone learn?

Other than McDavid, who has been a sure thing?

Reactions: thefors

member 149439

If the search function wasn't so crappy here.....I'd pull up the "Is Kakko/Hughes better than everyone?" threads.

When will everyone learn?

Other than McDavid, who has been a sure thing?
You nailed it. Anything can happen to Laf and he could be one of the biggest busts in nhl history or the best in nhl history. There basically no way to make an educated answer on this. Even mcdavid could fall of the map if something horrible happens. Nothing is ever for certain and even our most certain things can change at the drop of a hat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad