Is Lafreniere already a top-10 NHL asset?

Is Lafreniere already a top-10 NHL asset?

• Total voters

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
For anyone curious, here were the team rankings for asset values. Points given based on rank (1st = 50, 2nd = 49, etc).

TeamPointsAvg age
Lightning12326.6
Avalanche11422.7
Oilers9823.5
Sabres9321.0
Hurricanes8522.0
Canucks7820.5
Leafs7322.0
Bruins7125.3
Rangers5724.3
Panthers5725.0
Jets5623.3
No team50
Blue Jackets4823.5
Penguins4232.5
Flyers4025.0
Capitals3632.0
Stars3520.0
Senators2921.5
Islanders2722.0
Flames1922.0
Blackhawks1831.0
Predators1529.0
Devils618.0
Blues326.0
Knights227.0
Canadiens0NA
Coyotes0NA
Ducks0NA
Kings0NA
Red Wings0NA
Sharks0NA
Wild0NA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Since I was thinking, my team should flip him, would you take him for Makar and/or Byram?

I wouldn’t trade Makar for Lafreniere.

I would trade Byram+ for Lafreniere though. Byram looks like a really good defensive prospect, but I doubt he gets to Laf’s level.

Reactions: deflowd

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I mean... the NBA partially based their RTP around him, and is doing everything they can to have his team make the playoffs. Essentially rigging the process. Look no further than his teams upcoming schedule :facepalm:

Report: NBA will 'make sure' Zion's involved in playoffs
Oh absolutely. It was ridiculous but everyone saw it coming

It will be a slap in the face if he doesn’t perform well in the playoffs and that’s putting so much pressure on the kid for no reason

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
No.

Mcdavid
Mackinnon
Matthews
Eichel
Draisaitl
Barkov
Point
Aho
Pettersson
Dahlin
Marner
Pastrnak
Heiskanen

Off the top of my head.

Probably 15-20. Guy is a stud.

Is this taking contract/control-ability into account?

I'd rather have many of those players right now, but I would also trade them for Laf if contracts are involved. He's still under 3 years of ELC salary and 4 more years of control after that. That puts him ahead of Aho, Point and Marner for me. I'd straight up have him over Heiskanen too. The others are are a tough sell, though.

didnt vote... wont event be top 30

You don't think he's a top 30 asset???

You really can name 30 assets you wouldn't trade 1 for 1 for Laf right now? That's absurd in my opinion.

Reactions: Dominance

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Here are the top 5

McDavid
MacKinnon
Matthews
Eichel/Draisaitl

Let the kid play a season before we anoint him a top asset in the NHL. Lets see how many goals he can score.
You honestly believe that Matthews is a top 5 asset in the NHL today, even when you include contracts?

I'm going to assume you probably have Marner in the top 10

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
You honestly believe that Matthews is a top 5 asset in the NHL today, even when you include contracts?

HFBoards ranked Matthews 7th (includes contract) so I don't see why 5th is a huge stretch.Although that does put him ahead of Dahlin, which I don't know if I agree with...

Marner came in a 22.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I'd say so. Not needing to protect an ELC player in the Seattle draft would make all of the extremely good ELC players very valuable. Probably not top 10, but pretty well gold. Even more so since the cap is frozen for the next three years. Need all the cheap young talent you can get.

People will obv vote for the McDavids and Crosbys of the world and not really wrong either.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Last few 1st overalls have put the damper on the hype that was generated by these kids. Even Matthews hype wasn't great until TML won the lotto. Being a winger it reduces the value a bit more.

Not in my top 10 list for sure. There is a lot of elite talent in NHL now.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
McDavid
Draisaitl
Matthews
Eichel
Makar
Makinnon
Pastrnak
Point
Pettersson
Marner

That's 10. Now considering contracts and a flat cap. It is a really interesting discussion with the overhead owners are going to be carrying.

Mar 26, 2010

No, Marner is not even close to top 10. Not even top 20.

Matthews is 100% top 5. Easily, he is that good. Since he entered the NHL, no one other than OV has scored more goals. Generational sniper.

If he was only putting up 20 odd goal seasons, I would say yeah he’s just an overhyped average hockey player. That is not the case, he has a goal scoring machine.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
No, Marner is not even close to top 10. Not even top 20.

Matthews is 100% top 5. Easily, he is that good. Since he entered the NHL, no one other than OV has scored more goals. Generational sniper.

If he was only putting up 20 odd goal seasons, I would say yeah he’s just an overhyped average hockey player. That is not the case, he has a goal scoring machine.
:laugh:

It's getting harder and harder to take you seriously

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
He's definitely a top 10 ASSET. That doesn't necessarily mean he's a top 10 player, but as an asset, he's top 10 no doubt.

No way.

ASSETS that are way more valuable than the kid who's never played a game in the NHL, and might never.........

McDavid
Drasaitl
McKinnon
Kucherov
Matthews
Pastarnak
Crosby
Hedman
Eichel
Ovie
Makar
Barkov
Point
Rask
Doughty
Vasilevsky
Malkin
Kane
Marner
Hotby

ANY Gm out there would take one of these guys......and I'm sure I've missed others but I stopped at 20........over some 1OA pick this summer. LOL. It's ridiculous the value some of y'all put on picks/prospects.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
No way.

ASSETS that are way more valuable than the kid who's never played a game in the NHL, and might never.........

McDavid
Drasaitl
McKinnon
Kucherov
Matthews
Pastarnak
Crosby
Hedman
Eichel
Ovie
Makar
Barkov
Point
Rask
Doughty
Vasilevsky
Malkin
Kane
Marner
Hotby

ANY Gm out there would take one of these guys......and I'm sure I've missed others but I stopped at 20........over some 1OA pick this summer. LOL. It's ridiculous the value some of y'all put on picks/prospects.

I find it very hard to believe that ANY GM out there would take pending UFA Braden Holtby who jus posted an .897 SV% over Alexis Lafreniere.

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
Nope. He might be 30th in terms of forwards but it depends how you're evaluating, building going forward or if you had to win a game tomorrow night?

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
No way.

McDavid
Drasaitl
McKinnon
Kucherov
Matthews
Pastarnak
Crosby
Hedman
Eichel
Ovie
Makar
Barkov
Point
Rask
Doughty
Vasilevsky
Malkin
Kane
Marner
Hotby

Is this some sort of joke?

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
No way.

McDavid
Drasaitl
McKinnon
Kucherov
Matthews
Pastarnak
Crosby
Hedman
Eichel
Ovie
Makar
Barkov
Point
Rask
Doughty
Vasilevsky
Malkin
Kane
Marner
Hotby

You don't seem to be taking contracts into account. Laf will be on an entry-level contract which is super valuable, especially in a flat cap era.

Are most of those players you listed better and more proven right now, definitely. Will those players still be better in two years, maybe, maybe not, but they will definitely be much higher paid and therefore not as valuable as someone with a much lower cap hit, who's performance is close, to a team with cap issues (team dependent obviously).

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
He's certainly not top 5, let alone top 3 which is where @Hollywood North has him.

You're out to lunch with your valuation of Auston Matthews as an asset.

Those who are 100% worth more than him are limited to 1 name: Connor McDavid
Those who are on the same tier as Matthews are: MacKinnon, Dahlin, Eichel, Matthews - all in whatever order.

So at worst he's #5, and can be as high as #2. You can probably also fit Kucherov and Pastrnak in that second tier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad