Is Kucherov a clear-cut #2 in the NHL as we're speaking?

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Kucherov's all-time level playoff run just weighs more than regular season greatness, so I would put him in the conversation for best player in the game right beside McDavid, or right behind him or slightly ahead of him.

To frame it another way. When McDavid is going off on the powerplay for a 4 point night against the Vancouver Canucks, you can sit back and say "well, let's see him do this in the playoffs when it really matters." When Kucherov is lifting the cup, you don't say "well, you've won a Stanley Cup and dominated the playoffs, but let's see you do this on a Tuesday night in November."
Cuz I am sure Kucherov would do this in the playoffs on Edmonton, right?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Cuz I am sure Kucherov would do this in the playoffs on Edmonton, right?

The idea of great players getting downgraded because they play with great teammates isn’t a thing.

“Yeah Denis Potvin was a nice player but let’s see him win 4 cups with the Rangers.”

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
Last 3 seasons for Kucherov:
Most points in a season since 95-96
Most assists EVER for a winger in a season.
Most assists EVER for a winger in a playoff run.
3rd most assists ever for a winger in a playoff run (active, likely end up top 2)
3rd player ever with back to back 30 point playoff runs (Gretzky and Lemieux).
Art
2 time playoff scoring leader
Hart
Lindsay

Ofcourse Kucherov is top 2.

Yeah, that's a mic drop.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
The idea of great players getting downgraded because they play with great teammates isn’t a thing.

“Yeah Denis Potvin was a nice player but let’s see him win 4 cups with the Rangers.”
He's not getting downgraded people still believe he's still a top 2-5 player in the league but saying he pile up assists in Edmonton is funny when you have no where near the same talent to put the puck in the net or assist you on the play let alone depth players that won't get stuck in their own end and never force an icing so you can have your cozy offensive zone starts against tired players. Also he doesn't get the chance to sit through the ENTIRE regular season and have his team make the playoffs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's not getting downgraded people still believe he's still a top 2-5 player in the league but saying he pile up assists in Edmonton is funny when you have no where near the same talent to put the puck in the net or assist you on the play let alone depth players that won't get stuck in their own end and never force an icing so you can have your cozy offensive zone starts against tired players. Also he doesn't get the chance to sit through the ENTIRE regular season and have his team make the playoffs.

On the flipside, Kucherov is putting up historic numbers in high stakes games and not compiling 100 points against the likes of Joey Daccord, so it comes down to a stats line that looks good on the back of a hockey card vs having ultimate success.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
On the flipside, Kucherov is putting up historic numbers in high stakes games and not compiling 100 points against the likes of Joey Daccord, so it comes down to a stats line that looks good on the back of a hockey card vs having ultimate success.
Point is easily that he has opportunity to do nothing on Edmonton this season and puts up nothing all year due to stuck being on a bad team since they wouldn't make the playoffs without that center scoring 100+ points in a 50ish game season....TB has feasted on lowly teams like the Sabres and Devils for several years now or is that perfectly fine for only one player?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Point is easily that he has opportunity to do nothing on Edmonton this season and puts up nothing all year due to stuck being on a bad team since they wouldn't make the playoffs without that center scoring 100+ points in a 50ish game season....TB has feasted on lowly teams like the Sabres and Devils for several years now or is that perfectly fine for only one player?

My point is McDavid and Kucherov aren’t even competing in the same arena for the same things.

One guy is piling on points in the regular season at a historic rate and the other is pursuing championships and scoring at a historic rate (on a great team).

I happen to value the latter a lot more than regular season numbers. If I had a guy like McDavid on my team scoring at a historic rate in the regular season I’d wish he could take that ability and win a championship for my team one day. If my team had a guy like Kucherov winning a Stanley Cup, I’m already satisfied and don’t really care if he ever does McDavid things. I think even McDavid would feel the same way.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011

He isnt getting down graded, but McDavid shouldnt be either. On Edmonton we would be taking about Kuch having 4-6pts as he got eliminated in the first round. I am sure if McDavid was on TB we would be talking about him having quite a few more points than he had in edmonton.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
The guy who plays on Tampa? Lol. Don't they have like 4 of the best players in the World right now including 1 at every single important position?

Tough to gauge a guy when this team could have won the Cup without him but he's clearly an elite offensive player.

He's probably the best winger in the game right now with Panarin and Kane close behind.
Yet he’s 9 points ahead of his closest teammate, 3 of which are the best players in the world.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I thought Freidman summed it up well.

He didn't play a single game all season, then steps into the playoffs and once again posts over 30 points. This guy deserves every bit of credit regardless of the team he plays on. As far as rankings go who cares he's a f***in monster.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
He is playing on a stacked roster way over the cap. . Not hard to look great
He is 2nd only to Gretzky and Lemieux in points over consecutive playoff seasons.
Now at 66 pts (pic off by 2 pts)
E5BWr2MWYAQC8GD.jpg

Reactions: David McChoker

illpucks

May 26, 2011
As for the question, the convo for #1 in the league is between McDavid and Kucherov. Kucherov in both regular and postseason, McDavid in regular season.

Next tier is Matthews, Marner, MacKinnon. But Kucherov and McDavid are the 1st tier.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
My point is McDavid and Kucherov aren’t even competing in the same arena for the same things.

One guy is piling on points in the regular season at a historic rate and the other is pursuing championships and scoring at a historic rate (on a great team).

I happen to value the latter a lot more than regular season numbers. If I had a guy like McDavid on my team scoring at a historic rate in the regular season I’d wish he could take that ability and win a championship for my team one day. If my team had a guy like Kucherov winning a Stanley Cup, I’m already satisfied and don’t really care if he ever does McDavid things. I think even McDavid would feel the same way.
Yes, and Kucherov still has 128 points in RS, so it's not like he hasn't shined in that format either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad