Is Kucherov a clear-cut #2 in the NHL as we're speaking?

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
What he is doing now is downright insane.

Missed the whole season. Doesn't matter. Didn't skip a beat. As of right now, he has 27 points in 16 playoff games, way ahead of everyone else.

That also makes it 61 total points in two straight playoff runs -- one of them still ongoing.

That's genuinely insane.

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
To be fair all Lightning are playing insane: all skaters and goalie too.

All 5 leading scorers in NHL Playoffs are Lightning players:
1) Kucherov - 27 Pts
2) Point - 18 Pts
3) Stamkos - 17 Pts
4/5) Killorn & Hedman - 16 Pts.

Also Vasy leading Playoffs in save % and shutouts.

Brown Cat

Hates OP
Jan 7, 2021
I will say, he is among the best right now. I don't personally believe he is THE best, but I am not naïve enough to say that he has no argument. Those numbers in the playoffs are legendary.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
In the real world with more open minded hockey fans who acknowledge level of play seen rarely and are not slaves to a logo on a sweater that they usually only follow because they happened to be born in a certain region? Absolutely.

On these boards? No, this place favors pace, projections, and what ifs over actual accomplishments and truly impressive feats.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
To be fair all Lightning are playing insane: all skaters and goalie too.

All 5 leading scorers in NHL Playoffs are Lightning players:
1) Kucherov - 27 Pts
2) Point - 18 Pts
3) Stamkos - 17 Pts
4/5) Killorn & Hedman - 16 Pts.

Also Vasy leading Playoffs in save % and shutouts.
:laugh: Kucherov like 10 points above everyone else except Point!

Reactions: bert and Grabner

Spoilers

Jun 24, 2018
The recency bias on these boards is unreal. There was a thread about MacKinnon until he was bounced.

Kucherov is an elite player on a stacked team playing against a bunch of tired players. Sitting out wasn’t a detriment, it’s a massive advantage. They also have a $100 million dollar roster.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
McDavid
Nate Mac
Kucherov
Matthews
Drai

McDavid
Kucherov
MacKinnon
Draisaitl
Matthews

As soon as MacKinnon wins a Cup, you know it will include a Conn Smythe, he'll take over second, but for now I take the guy with the hardware. And Draisaitl has won a Hart with the best player in the game on his team. Don't see Matthews having a season better than what Draisaitl did in 19-20, but until he does he's not better IMO.

He is #1 for me. Better regular season peak, playoffs a non contest obviously. People like to argue Roy over Hasek all the time for example based on playoffs, now imagine if Roy also had a higher regular season peak and Hasek was a playoff no show.

Come on. McDavid hasn't hit his prime and he would have clearly obliterated Kucherov's 128 if not for Covid. I get that he has the playoff resume that McD doesn't but regular season recently and overall, it's no contest.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Certainly not clear-cut, although he's in the running
Just last week or so people were (incorrectly) saying MacKinnon could even be better than McDavid, so clearly there's a bunch of guys near the top.

Reactions: tyhee and Heldig

QXZY

Nov 13, 2017
McDavid
Kucherov
MacKinnon
Draisaitl
Matthews

As soon as MacKinnon wins a Cup, you know it will include a Conn Smythe, he'll take over second, but for now I take the guy with the hardware. And Draisaitl has won a Hart with the best player in the game on his team. Don't see Matthews having a season better than what Draisaitl did in 19-20, but until he does he's not better IMO.

Come on. McDavid hasn't hit his prime and he would have clearly obliterated Kucherov's 128 if not for Covid. I get that he has the playoff resume that McD doesn't but regular season recently and overall, it's no contest.
He did his numbers this year in the Canada division. This doesn't count.
Being a Kucherov fan, not McD's, I still think for now McDavid is number one, but maybe I'm mistaken :)

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
He is clear no.1 for me and has been for a while. This guy brings in the play-offs each and every year. This year he is simply dominating having 10pt gap from the second place in the scoring race.

Closest comparable based on impact? Peter Forsberg who was undoubdly the best in the game when healthy.

PS All these are true only when Stanley Cup is the ultimate goal. If not, McDavid is of course better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad