Is Kristopher Letang Hall of Fame Worthy?

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Kind of a perfect example of why it's not a good idea to just add up career point and +/- totals for two defensemen and treat it like a valid comparison, eh?
Or an example of know it all experts relying on the eye test and their own "wisdom" when the numbers say something else.

My point is Letang is probably slightly ahead of Doughty offensively. Doughty is better all-around and on defense. If Doughty is a no doubter when it comes to the Hall where does that leave Letang?

My Best-Carey

frisco

Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
To be fair, everytime the Pens won the Cup they beat Washington along the way. I wouldn't call beating Washington in 2016 and 2017 an easy road per se. That was beating the President's Trophy winners in back to back years. Beating Tampa in 2016 wasn't easy either. Or even San Jose. Flawed teams or not, they were still good teams. I don't think it is a knock that they won without Letang - for Letang. It was clearly easier for them in 2016 because they had him in the lineup as opposed to without him.
Not to mention 100+ point teams in the Rangers and Columbus in each first round matchup in 2016 and 2017, respectively.

My Best-Carey

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Or an example of know it all experts relying on the eye test and their own "wisdom" when the numbers say something else.

My point is Letang is probably slightly ahead of Doughty offensively. Doughty is better all-around and on defense. If Doughty is a no doubter when it comes to the Hall where does that leave Letang?

My Best-Carey
Doughty was a no-brainer for Team Canada every time. Letang never made it. That's all you really have to know about them. Letang shouldn't sniff the HHOF.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
depending on the next 5-10 years, i wonder if someday letang vs pietrangelo will be like zubov vs desjardins now. man i still can’t believe zubov made it in the hhof.

Reactions: Sentinel

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Letang doesn't make it for me. A good player on good teams, with some nice accomplishments, but that's really about it. When I think of current defensemen going to the Hall, it's guys like Chara, Doughty, and Karlsson - and of course there are others.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Letang is a good, at times great, player put on arguably the leagues best team for much of his injuried career. He shouldn't be close to the HF, think he might have had the ability to be in that discussion but alas it didn't happen. If he does have a Lidström backend of his career I mean sure, but I highly doubt that.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Doughty was a no-brainer for Team Canada every time. Letang never made it. That's all you really have to know about them. Letang shouldn't sniff the HHOF.

I think Letang might have had some case as a borderline guy but he has missed too much time to injuries and those lack of full seasons really hurt his case.

Doughty is already a lock for the HHOF right now and probably has been for some time now.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It is now the Hall of Good.

Sure, why not. Letang gets in too.

I won't say no, only because he is just 32 and could have the rest of his 30s to build a very good case. If he retired tomorrow, no, of course not. If he plays the rest of his career healthy it still might be no. But when others are saying about Subban vs. Letang it is clearly Letang overall and at least trending in a decent direction, not bottoming out. But Doughty is well ahead of him, that is no issue.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

You're right that Doughty has been a better player and had a better career than Letang. But the Team Canada thing is a bad argument. Rick Nash >> Claude Giroux because he made 2 Team Canada's and G made 0.

Reactions: frisco

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
You're right that Doughty has been a better player and had a better career than Letang. But the Team Canada thing is a bad argument. Rick Nash >> Claude Giroux because he made 2 Team Canada's and G made 0.
I don't think there's anything wrong with using that argument in a defenseman versus defenseman conversation. You are referring to a winger versus a centre which no, would not be exactly Fair.

Reactions: Sentinel

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

For starters, Giroux did make the 2016 World Cup team although they only used him for one game. For whatever reason he was always overlooked during his career for these teams. Lots of us complained that he didn't make the 2014 team and Chris Kunitz did. Hmmm.

For a guy who has finished top 4 in Hart voting three times, led the NHL in points over a 6 year span (2010-'16) he sure never gets his due. He might be done as a star player now, or at least elite, so it could hurt any HHOF chances he has, but yeah there is no way Rick Nash was better, 3 Olympics or not.

frisco

Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
If you go back there is roughly a dozen or so defenseman in the league who are active that eventually get into the Hall. For example 1986:
Coffey
Bourque
MacInnis
Housley
Howe
Langway
Robinson
Salming
Stevens
Potvin
Murphy
Chelios

If the dozen ratio holds, just for fun, I'd say these 13 current defenseman make the Hall:
Carlson
Josi
Hedman
Keith
Doughty
Letang
Dahlin
Heiskanen
Weber
Karlsson
Burns
Jones
Chara

Close: OEL, Makar, Hughes, Chabot, Werenski, Provorov, Subban, Giordano, Reilly, Suter.

Just my guess, Letang gets in eventually.

My Best-Carey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad