Speculation: Is John Weisbrod Sneaking his Way to Becoming the Head of Hockey Operations in the Summer of 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
i think it is a safe bet that weisbrod is not going anywhere until quinn is signed. no way aquilini will mess with that applecart.

question: if the guy is the machiavelli everyone thinks he is, he is surely currently formulating a diabolical plan to get the other hughes here so aquilini will promote him. if he pulls that off, will he be forgiven?

No.

So if we are last again overall, whether or not we are employing John Weisbrod will be a deciding factor in getting Quinn #2?

That doesn't sound plausible.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
what a bizarre restatement of what i actually said.
You said A wouldn’t fire Weisbrod until Hughes #1 was signed cause a professional hockey player decides something like that cause a friend works for the team and....
Your question clearly implies or suggests Weisbrod is necessary for Hughes #2 to be signed/acquired.
The bizarreness resides in your post not the response.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
You said A wouldn’t fire Weisbrod until Hughes #1 was signed cause a professional hockey player decides something like that cause a friend works for the team and....
Your question clearly implies or suggests Weisbrod is necessary for Hughes #2 to be signed/acquired.
The bizarreness resides in your post not the response.

well no it doesn't imply anything about the actual necessity of weisbrod to sign quinn hughes. you didn't read my post carefully.

i said aquilini wouldn't take the chance of upsetting the applecart with hughes by firing weisbrod.

that doesn't imply i think weisbrod is necessary for hughes #1 to be signed let alone hughes #2.

it means i think aquilini would think it is risky to fire weisbrod, and would not take the chance that he might be necessary to sign hughes #1.

thus i am giving my opinion on what risks aquilini will take relative to hughes, not what the actual likelihood of the risk actually occurring might be. i think aquilini will take few risks with hughes. this opinion is based on the obvious importance of signing hughes.

are we good now?

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
well no it doesn't imply anything about the actual necessity of weisbrod to sign quinn hughes. you didn't read my post carefully.

i said aquilini wouldn't take the chance of upsetting the applecart with hughes by firing weisbrod.

that doesn't imply i think weisbrod is necessary for hughes #1 to be signed let alone hughes #2.

it means i think aquilini would think it is risky to fire weisbrod, and would not take the chance that he might be necessary to sign hughes #1.

thus i am giving my opinion on what risks aquilini will take relative to hughes, not what the actual likelihood of the risk actually occurring might be. i think aquilini will take few risks with hughes. this opinion is based on the obvious importance of signing hughes.

are we good now?
Given that you are playing fast and loose with what you said.......I can see that we are as good as it is likely to get.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Given that you are playing fast and loose with what you said.......I can see that we are as good as it is likely to get.

it is always interesting to see how far someone will go rather than admit they made a mistake on the internet.

i mean why not save your powder for when we have an actual argument? the whole premise of your posts here is to get me to defend an opinion i obviously don't hold. what exactly is the point of that? you know i don't think it, and you know your little gotcha comment doesn't establish that i think it. if you had an actual argument to the contrary you'd make it instead of throwing dust in the air.

like i said, i am happy to debate opinions i actually hold. if your game plan is just to try and put words in my mouth, it doesn't seem like you are a serious poster or that you are trying to contribute here.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
it is always interesting to see how far someone will go rather than admit they made a mistake on the internet.

i mean why not save your powder for when we have an actual argument? the whole premise of your posts here is to get me to defend an opinion i obviously don't hold. what exactly is the point of that? you know i don't think it, and you know your little gotcha comment doesn't establish that i think it. if you had an actual argument to the contrary you'd make it instead of throwing dust in the air.

like i said, i am happy to debate opinions i actually hold. if your game plan is just to try and put words in my mouth, it doesn't seem like you are a serious poster or that you are trying to contribute here.
Try re-reading your post with the critiques that have been made...if you mis-stated your “opinion” then we are good.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Today on the Pat Cast .. Jason Botchford and Jeff Patterson said that they heard that John Weisbrod maybe named the New President of Hockey Operations. they both said it stopped them in there tracks Hmmmmmmmmm

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas
Feb 24, 2017
If it happens I can not wait to see and read the melt down on here
I am all for this. Cause like why not? Aquilini doesn’t seem to have any issues with the people in the room, despite the franchise being the worst team in the nhl over the last 3 years. So, why should we? Let’s double down on em! And also the obvious tantrum tsunami here would be funny.

member 290103

I have no doubt the Weisbrod played a huge part in getting rid of Linden. Benning went along for the ride. Aqua man and Weisbrod are cut from the same cloth:) There have been rumors of his snake like ways. If you believe what some people say he also has a huge ego and sees him self as a Alfa Male.......

One of the First things Brian Burke did when he got to Calgary was fire Weisbrod and he said " I had no idea what the guy did around here" so lets have some fun with this.

So Linden is out the way. Benning in charge. I do believe that no one with a sharp hockey background will take the Canucks job at the moment as the word on the street is that The family is hard to deal with . Benning is starting a new 3 year deal but only two are guaranteed. the third is subject to club option that must be exercise by July 1, 2020. I think it is fair to say that The Canucks will not make the playoffs this year. There will need to be a improvement on paper of say 10 points to get the into the early to mid 80"s Assuming that happens that will still leave them needing a improvement of 10 more points in 2019 -2020 season to be knocking on the door. I do see a sell off at at the trade deadline as the Canucks will really want to steal the show at the draft. so I see Del Zotto, Tanev & Edler with massive pressure from Benning and Weisbrod to wave. Remember Edler #1 fan in the organization is gone in the form of Linden and Benning if he wants to can be very forceful - ( looking at you Jason Garrison ) The Canucks will look to continue to add to there prospect pool. Benning would then get the guarantee he would be able to get one big name in the free agency of 2019 - ( Looking at you Tyler Myers ) to replace Tanev

Joulevi and Hughes will replace - Edler and Del Zotto on the left side. even with the this the Canucks should be knocking on the door in 19/ 20 But they could still easily miss. if the do miss again for the next two years that will be 5 years in a row, Benning for sure gets fired and does Weisbrod right?

Well Benning yes for sure. But Weisbrod then pulls out the knife again on Benning and gets promoted to GM and the head of Hockey Operations. !!! Now you ask yourslelf how could Aquaman keep Weisbrod around after all this . 3 reasons

1) No one with a Hockey Management Name wants the job.

2) Aquaman sees a lot of himself in Weisbrod ( Remember how they bought the Canucks in the first place:)

3) Quinn Hughes!!!! what !!!!! Why Quinn Hughes.

well little know fact. John Weisbrod and Jim Hughes ( Quinn Dad) are child hood friends. Played hockey together at University and when Weisbroud was in charge of the Orlando Solar Bears he gave Jim his first job in hockey there bond is deep and strong. Weisbrod goes to Aquaman and says keep me around and Quinn Hughes stays for a long time . And it has been said that Jack and Quinn really want to play together. that happens two ways one they get drafted to the same team ( It could happen here ) or one of them leaves there team of draft and goes to the other brother"s team Jack will be playing as a 18 year old and can be a unrestricted free agent at the age of 25.

Weisbrod could say make me the man and Jack Hughes will also be a Vancouver Canuck if he is not already by Vancouver winning the lottery then he says he can make sure they stay together. Also Vancouver would then be entering a golden age with all the young prospects growing together and the Canucks becoming contenders again on a yearly basis with John Weisbrod leading the way . The man who got there lurking in the shadows at Rodgers Arena.....

I have no doubts that Weisbrod is a complete yutz, but can someone please provide me with evidence the Brian Burke actually said this about him? Is there a quote that goes with this claim?

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
If Weisbrod is named President but stays out of the hockey side and sticks to the business side I'm ok. He is a Harvard alumni so must be somewhat competent. Also agree with above poster no way Weisbrod is fired before Quinn Hughes is signed you just don't risk that. Weisbrod and Quinn's dad are super close why would they risk upsetting Quinn?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I would be really pissed if Weisbrod is named the President of Hockey Operations. Even if his primary job is on the corporate support side I can’t see how he would be good at it. Might as well hire Naslund who would be much better in the corporate support role.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I have no doubts that Weisbrod is a complete yutz, but can someone please provide me with evidence the Brian Burke actually said this about him? Is there a quote that goes with this claim?

I can't find it anywhere in print but you can watch the video of the press conference. Around 7 minutes in he says something along the lines of "I didn't interact with John a whole lot... He's a very smart guy, but he was usually out of office and I didn't have a relationship with him like I did with Feaster. "

People have paraphrased this as Burke saying he had "no idea" what he did, which is probably true but apocryphal as far as quotes go.

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
If Weisbrod is named President but stays out of the hockey side and sticks to the business side I'm ok. He is a Harvard alumni so must be somewhat competent. Also agree with above poster no way Weisbrod is fired before Quinn Hughes is signed you just don't risk that. Weisbrod and Quinn's dad are super close why would they risk upsetting Quinn?

He did not get into harvard due to academic merit, it was due to hockey. Also its not like he graduated with a business or STEM degree. He has an english degree. Just want to repeat to make one thing clear, he did not get into harvard due to academic merit.
He does deserve kudos for parlaying his education into front office jobs in the NBA and NHL.

Reactions: Katani Kalan

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
He did not get into harvard due to academic merit, it was due to hockey. Also its not like he graduated with a business or STEM degree. He has an english degree. Just want to repeat to make one thing clear, he did not get into harvard due to academic merit.
He does deserve kudos for parlaying his education into front office jobs in the NBA and NHL.
Thanks for clarifying he as you said has had some front office positions in 2 leagues so he must be some what competent. Again I also want to add I don't want him making hockey decisions but to just stay on the business side.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Not even surprising. This guy and Aquilini are literally made for each other. They can sit around in an echo chamber talking about how awesome they are well the franchise goes down the drain.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
If this were to happen it would basically be a measure to keep the current power structure intact. It's kind of embarrassing to have such a hole vacant in the organization right now, but it should be obvious that if they hire a new president based on any sort of merit that person will likely want the autonomy to clean house. But Benning & Weisbrod want to keep their jobs, and Aquilini seems content to stick it out with these guys for the time being.

Doesn't necessarily have anything with Weisbrod sticking around for the long term though. If Benning goes it's likely he does too, even if he got punted upstairs first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad