Speculation: Is John Weisbrod Sneaking his Way to Becoming the Head of Hockey Operations in the Summer of 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
So, because he was involved in a plan which failed completely because of the incompetence of he and Benning - but the NHL rewarded their failure and incompetence with high draft picks - he should be promoted?

Did it fail though?

Make the playoffs? Check. Happened in Year 1.

Get younger? Check. This is one of the youngest teams we’ve ever seen.

Get faster? Check. This is also one of the faster teams in the NHL.

Get more skilled? Check. Many talented young players in the system.

Get deeper? Check. Prospect pool is as deep as it has ever been which will lead to roster depth as they begin to mature.

Get elite talent? Check at every position. Boeser and Pettersson can rip the puck better than anyone in the league. Hughes looks like he will be a force in the NHL. Demko also an elite goaltending prospect.

Get character guys? Check. We got rid of the Kassians and acquired good stand up guys like Gudbranson and drafted high character kids.

Draft well? Homerun picks like Pettersson and Gaudette show that the drafting has been excellent.

In light of these points, the position of the franchise is extremely better than it was at this time in 2014, when Weisbrod was hired and he is a big reason for this.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
What exactly has he accomplished in four years to justify a promotion?

As I explained, He has accomplished bringing the Canucks to a much better position and situation then when he took the job. Feels like we’re going around in circles here.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
**Did we do menial hockey management task**? Check. **BS justification without any direct link to Weisbrod's performance**.

Last edited:

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
Did it fail though?

Get deeper? Check. Prospect pool is as deep as it has ever been which will lead to roster depth as they begin to mature.

Get elite talent? Check at every position. Boeser and Pettersson can rip the puck better than anyone in the league. Hughes looks like he will be a force in the NHL. Demko also an elite goaltending prospect.

Get character guys? Check. We got rid of the Kassians and acquired good stand up guys like Gudbranson and drafted high character kids.

Draft well? Homerun picks like Pettersson and Gaudette show that the drafting has been excellent.

In light of these points, the position of the franchise is extremely better than it was at this time in 2014, when Weisbrod was hired and he is a big reason for this.

get sellouts? check we got a few sellouts last season.
get harder to play against: check we are harder to play against
get better in team toughness: check
get better in our bottom 6: check
get more metorship: check got more mentorship
get better cap space: check lots of cap room now

F*** it boys I think we winning the cup. Not sure why I couldnt see the light before.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
So, because he was involved in a plan which failed completely because of the incompetence of he and Benning - but the NHL rewarded their failure and incompetence with high draft picks - he should be promoted?
You have to think this is coming out of Benning/Green camps. The president job being open has to make them nervous. Aquilini's prone to impulsively latching on to new hockey execs like he did with Gillis. You think someone like Dean Lombardi would come in and say they're committed to working with the current staff? At best they'd get an "evaluation" year before inevitably being fired, like Nonis did in Shanahan's first year in Toronto.

It would actually be pretty funny if Weisbrod got the president job and then, snakishly as he's rumoured to be, cleaned house and brought it other people.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

F*** it boys I think we winning the cup. Not sure why I couldnt see the light before.

I feel like you’re being sarcastic at the end but you made great points. Management has been successful at attendance, making the team harder to play against, making the team tougher, better bottom six, better mentor ship, and more cap space. These are all good things right? So why do you seem to conclude the opposite.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Did it fail though?

And then failed completely the next two years they tried to make the playoffs and thought they had a playoff team, and instead were the worst team in the NHL.

We were the 17th-youngest team in the NHL last year. We won't be in the 10 youngest this year.

What? This might be the slowest team in the NHL. Slow forwards, slow defense, slow puck movement.

26th-highest scoring team in the NHL last year.

Yes, they have some talented young players. Most of these were drafted with picks they either tried to trade away to compete now or only got by accident because their plans to compete failed so spectacularly. Not because of good management and planning.

See above. If things had gone according to plan, we'd have traded Boeser for Lucic and would never have been remotely in position to draft a player like Pettersson.

LOL

Uh, nope.

All you've done is re-summarize that they have several very good prospects that the NHL handed them for free to reward them for failing at their plan and accidentally sucking.

Any poster here could have been hired as GM, done a bad job managing the team, missed the playoffs badly, and then had the team in exactly the same position by taking the consensus choice with the high picks given to them by the league.

member 290103

Did it fail though?

Did you pick up your "check" from the Aqualini Group yet? Cmon dude, this team has been pushed to make the playoffs for the last 3 years and ended up with the worst record in hockey over that span. You sound like a fool trying to prop this guy up. Enough.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Lol Pettersen can rip the puck better than anyone in the league but hasn't played a single game in it. Laine, Tarasenko, Seguin, Weber, Chara, Burns and a lot of other players might as well pack it in.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

That moron thinks you’re being serious

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Did you pick up your "check" from the Aqualini Group yet? Cmon dude, this team has been pushed to make the playoffs for the last 3 years and ended up with the worst record in hockey over that span. You sound like a fool trying to prop this guy up. Enough.

Maybe I do but you sound like the bigger fool when you accuse someone who just disagrees with you fundamentally of being motivated by money to be dishonest about his position. Projection maybe?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
They mentioned in the newest pat-cast how last year there were points where Weisbrod looked to be in the outs, and it was Jim who stuck up for him and insisted he stay on.

This actually kind of falls in line with last off season when Sekeres reported about there being big changes coming within the management and then they just kind of shuffled some scouts.

Maybe Linden was going to give him the axe, told Sekeres, but Jim pushed for him to stay.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Any poster here could have been hired as GM, done a bad job managing the team, missed the playoffs badly, and then had the team in exactly the same position by taking the consensus choice with the high picks given to them by the league.

An intelligent animal could be trained to spend all the available money, come in last place standing wise, and pick from a list determined by a potato who to draft based on whom is available. This bottlenose dolphin would do a similarly good job.

This isn't even hyperbole. Anyone who doesn't think they could do at least as good a job as Benning has done, has debilitating low self esteem.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
An intelligent animal could be trained to spend all the available money, come in last place standing wise, and pick from a list determined by a potato who to draft based on whom is available. This bottlenose dolphin would do a similarly good job.

This isn't even hyperbole. Anyone who doesn't think they could do at least as good a job as Benning has done, has debilitating low self esteem.

Yeah but they probably wouldn't dunk their head in black paint and have a funny voice. Game point Benning!

Reactions: I in the Eye and MS

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

It's a simple question which I've asked thousands of times and been ignored because they aren't interested in actually discussing and are only trolling :

If he's done a good job, what would an average job look like? What would a poor job look like?

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Who even cares anymore? Trevor Linden? Jim Benning? John Weisbrod? A 200 pound bag of monkey feces? It's all the same thing that will produce the same result.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
My guess is Weisbrod runs the business and revenue side of the business....that's more in line with his previous experience in pro sports. Besides, hasn't it been reported somewhere that Benning is now actually reporting directly to Aquilini on hockey ops decisions?

I know it's only been a month so, but already feels like Linden and the Canucks are ancient history.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
My guess is Weisbrod runs the business and revenue side of the business....that's more in line with his previous experience in pro sports.

I think he has spent more time as a scout and or GM than a guy who ran more of the business side.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
The position this franchise is in now vs. When he was hired. Pretty simple.

We are worse now than prior to his hiring. The objective was to be competitive and we are simply not...being gifted high picks for being one of the worst teams is not, and shouldn't be, considered a job well done.

To think otherwise is...well...Pretty stupid.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
Did it fail though?

Make the Playoffs is a check? Are you trying to say the objective was to make the Playoffs once and that's it? Mission accomplished? Wow. Yeah, we made the Playoffs because we got rid of a cancerous coach and benning was only able to meddle at a minor level. How did we do after benning had time to lay out a plan and bring all his guys in?

- Getting younger was inevitable for one of the oldest teams at that time.

- Getting faster is useless if there's no skills coupled with it. This is hockey not speed skating.

- Skilled, deeper and elite talent is based upon our prospects and not who we ice on the Canucks (you mentioned our prospects). Being one of the worst teams in the league for 5 years allows a team to have VERY high picks. Are you implying that this feat (better prospect pool) would be improbable with another GM? Setting goals really low.

- Character guys? Who exactly are these and how many character guys do we need on a team to be considered 'full of character'? And what did we pay for these 'character' guys that have proven to be caricatures?

- Draft well? 2 players currently playing in the NHL after 5 drafts where our average picks were in the top 10. This is an accomplishment?

I know some people are hyped over our prospects and I hope they succeed, but it is simply naive to think that our drafting has been an overall success. If each organization made up a team of all the players drafted over the last 5 years (prospects and current NHLers) we would probably be in the middle of the pack. If we narrowed it down to organizations that only picked in the top 10 (out of those 5 years), we would most likely be well below average.

You are correct in laying some credit on weisbrod, as he is partly to blame. But to paint your 'thoughts' as if weisbrod's accomplishments have been worthy of praise is a mindf*ck in itself.

Reactions: geebaan

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016

At first I thought you were serious, than I read your last paragraph and came to the conclusion you were being sarcastic in regards to rmb's post.

Check who liked your post and see ronningmorrisonbooth... now I'm confused. Another mindf*ck! rmb is messing with me...

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Years. Literally years of our lives has been wasted on this Pejorative Sluration.

You can't say Pejorative Slur anymore? That's f***ing Pejorative Slured. Goddamn f***ing stupid Pejorative Slured bullshit :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:ing pants on f***ing head jojo Pejorative Slured. Just like the Canucks front office and ownership.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Years. Literally years of our lives has been wasted on this ******ation.

You can't say ****** anymore? That's ****ing ******ed. Goddamn ****ing stupid ******ed bull**** ********ing pants on ****ing head jojo ******ed. Just like the Canucks front office and ownership.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->