Speculation: Is John Weisbrod Sneaking his Way to Becoming the Head of Hockey Operations in the Summer of 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
I have no doubt the Weisbrod played a huge part in getting rid of Linden. Benning went along for the ride. Aqua man and Weisbrod are cut from the same cloth:) There have been rumors of his snake like ways. If you believe what some people say he also has a huge ego and sees him self as a Alfa Male.......

One of the First things Brian Burke did when he got to Calgary was fire Weisbrod and he said " I had no idea what the guy did around here" so lets have some fun with this.

So Linden is out the way. Benning in charge. I do believe that no one with a sharp hockey background will take the Canucks job at the moment as the word on the street is that The family is hard to deal with . Benning is starting a new 3 year deal but only two are guaranteed. the third is subject to club option that must be exercise by July 1, 2020. I think it is fair to say that The Canucks will not make the playoffs this year. There will need to be a improvement on paper of say 10 points to get the into the early to mid 80"s Assuming that happens that will still leave them needing a improvement of 10 more points in 2019 -2020 season to be knocking on the door. I do see a sell off at at the trade deadline as the Canucks will really want to steal the show at the draft. so I see Del Zotto, Tanev & Edler with massive pressure from Benning and Weisbrod to wave. Remember Edler #1 fan in the organization is gone in the form of Linden and Benning if he wants to can be very forceful - ( looking at you Jason Garrison ) The Canucks will look to continue to add to there prospect pool. Benning would then get the guarantee he would be able to get one big name in the free agency of 2019 - ( Looking at you Tyler Myers ) to replace Tanev

Joulevi and Hughes will replace - Edler and Del Zotto on the left side. even with the this the Canucks should be knocking on the door in 19/ 20 But they could still easily miss. if the do miss again for the next two years that will be 5 years in a row, Benning for sure gets fired and does Weisbrod right?

Well Benning yes for sure. But Weisbrod then pulls out the knife again on Benning and gets promoted to GM and the head of Hockey Operations. !!! Now you ask yourslelf how could Aquaman keep Weisbrod around after all this . 3 reasons

1) No one with a Hockey Management Name wants the job.

2) Aquaman sees a lot of himself in Weisbrod ( Remember how they bought the Canucks in the first place:)

3) Quinn Hughes!!!! what !!!!! Why Quinn Hughes.

well little know fact. John Weisbrod and Jim Hughes ( Quinn Dad) are child hood friends. Played hockey together at University and when Weisbroud was in charge of the Orlando Solar Bears he gave Jim his first job in hockey there bond is deep and strong. Weisbrod goes to Aquaman and says keep me around and Quinn Hughes stays for a long time . And it has been said that Jack and Quinn really want to play together. that happens two ways one they get drafted to the same team ( It could happen here ) or one of them leaves there team of draft and goes to the other brother"s team Jack will be playing as a 18 year old and can be a unrestricted free agent at the age of 25.

Weisbrod could say make me the man and Jack Hughes will also be a Vancouver Canuck if he is not already by Vancouver winning the lottery then he says he can make sure they stay together. Also Vancouver would then be entering a golden age with all the young prospects growing together and the Canucks becoming contenders again on a yearly basis with John Weisbrod leading the way . The man who got there lurking in the shadows at Rodgers Arena.....

Last edited:
Reactions: rypper

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Lol. What is it with you guys and Weisbrod? It's kind of weird at this point.

It is.

Just as Judd Brackett is the board darling based on basically nothing, so too is Weisbrod the villain based on nothing.

To answer the question, no. I don't believe there is some long term conspiracy centred around luring Jack Hughes to the canucks in 2026.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wo Yorfat

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
No idea why we still employ this guy. He seems to be basically the hockey equivalent of a useless, middle management bureaucrat. Brian Burke pretty much confirmed that in Calgary.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It is.

Just as Judd Brackett is the board darling based on basically nothing, so too is Weisbrod the villain based on nothing.

To answer the question, no. I don't believe there is some long term conspiracy centred around luring Jack Hughes to the canucks in 2026.

Weisbrod isn't a villain based on nothing. People don't respect his work from past teams (like orchestrating that Ryan O'Reilly offersheet in Calgary that could have been a huge disaster). Burke firing him saying that he doesn't know what Weisbrod did further adds to people not liking Weisbrod.

If he takes over our hockey ops department it'll be a disaster. This team very well could be f***ed until 2030 and beyond.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I have no doubt the Weisbrod played a huge part in getting rid of Linden. Benning went along for the ride. Aqua man and Weisbrod are cut from the same cloth:) There have been rumors of his snake like ways. If you believe what some people say he also has a huge ego and sees him self as a Alfa Male.......

One of the First things Brian Burke did when he got to Calgary was fire Weisbrod and he said " I had no idea what the guy did around here" so lets have some fun with this.

So Linden is out the way. Benning in charge. I do believe that no one with a sharp hockey background will take the Canucks job at the moment as the word on the street is that The family is hard to deal with . Benning is starting a new 3 year deal but only two are guaranteed. the third is subject to club option that must be exercise by July 1, 2020. I think it is fair to say that The Canucks will not make the playoffs this year. There will need to be a improvement on paper of say 10 points to get the into the early to mid 80"s Assuming that happens that will still leave them needing a improvement of 10 more points in 2019 -2020 season to be knocking on the door. I do see a sell off at at the trade deadline as the Canucks will really want to steal the show at the draft. so I see Del Zotto, Tanev & Edler with massive pressure from Benning and Weisbrod to wave. Remember Edler #1 fan in the organization is gone in the form of Linden and Benning if he wants to can be very forceful - ( looking at you Jason Garrison ) The Canucks will look to continue to add to there prospect pool. Benning would then get the guarantee he would be able to get one big name in the free agency of 2019 - ( Looking at you Tyler Myers ) to replace Tanev

Joulevi and Hughes will replace - Edler and Del Zotto on the left side. even with the this the Canucks should be knocking on the door in 19/ 20 But they could still easily miss. if the do miss again for the next two years that will be 5 years in a row, Benning for sure gets fired and does Weisbrod right?

Well Benning yes for sure. But Weisbrod then pulls out the knife again on Benning and gets promoted to GM and the head of Hockey Operations. !!! Now you ask yourslelf how could Aquaman keep Weisbrod around after all this . 3 reasons

1) No one with a Hockey Management Name wants the job.

2) Aquaman sees a lot of himself in Weisbrod ( Remember how they bought the Canucks in the first place:)

3) Quinn Hughes!!!! what !!!!! Why Quinn Hughes.

well little know fact. John Weisbrod and Jim Hughes ( Quinn Dad) are child hood friends. Played hockey together at University and when Weisbroud was in charge of the Orlando Solar Bears he gave Jim his first job in hockey there bond is deep and strong. Weisbrod goes to Aquaman and says keep me around and Quinn Hughes stays for a long time . And it has been said that Jack and Quinn really want to play together. that happens two ways one they get drafted to the same team ( It could happen here ) or one of them leaves there team of draft and goes to the other brother"s team Jack will be playing as a 18 year old and can be a unrestricted free agent at the age of 25.

Weisbrod could say make me the man and Jack Hughes will also be a Vancouver Canuck if he is not already by Vancouver winning the lottery then he says he can make sure they stay together. Also Vancouver would then be entering a golden age with all the young prospects growing together and the Canucks becoming contenders again on a yearly basis with John Weisbrod leading the way . The man who got there lurking in the shadows at Rodgers Arena.....

The Canucks are nowhere close to making the playoffs. They won't be knocking on the door in 2019-20. They're taking a huge step back this year and very well could be 31st with the loss of the Sedins and more junk added to the roster.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Weisbrod isn't a villain based on nothing. People don't respect his work from past teams (like orchestrating that Ryan O'Reilly offersheet in Calgary that could have been a huge disaster). Burke firing him saying that he doesn't know what Weisbrod did further adds to people not liking Weisbrod.

If he takes over our hockey ops department it'll be a disaster. This team very well could be ****ed until 2030 and beyond.

Ok, I will grant you all that. Where does the leap come he is some evil puppet master who is hell bent on taking over the Canucks?

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
Was so irritated when they hired him (and still am)
but if Weisbrod was able to land the other Hughes and get everyone but himself fired it might kill two birds with one stone.
What better accomplishment could you expect of the head of hockey ops? At least he'd have earned it
What year would Jack Hughes become a UFA if refuses to sign an ELC and finishes college?
What if they kept it secret at the draft and grabbed another C in the top 5 in addition to that?

In this scenario we'd be laughing, even if Weisbrod somehow worm-tongued FA into the plan and we all despise him

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Was so irritated when they hired him (and still am)
but if Weisbrod was able to land the other Hughes and get everyone but himself fired it might kill two birds with one stone.
What better accomplishment could you expect of the head of hockey ops? At least he'd have earned it
What year would Jack Hughes become a UFA if refuses to sign an ELC and finishes college?
What if they kept it secret at the draft and grabbed another C in the top 5 in addition to that?

In this scenario we'd be laughing, even if Weisbrod somehow worm-tongued FA into the plan and we all despise him
This is the Canucks and we wont be getting Jack Hughes..quit dreaming. The only way it would be done if Benning sells the farm to trade up to get him and i mean the whole farm. I could see Quinn holding out to join his brother after he gets drafted, thats a better tin foil job than yours.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

If he takes over our hockey ops department it'll be a disaster. This team very well could be ****ed until 2030 and beyond.

Is there a source for the story that he orchestrated the O'Reilly offer sheet? Not disagreeing that it's true, I've just never seen a corroborating source on that.

I would think the larger reason for his poor reputation was is time as an NBA GM. I don't remember all the specifics, but I know he was profoundly unpopular in his position. As far as I'm aware, his dislike in the hockey world stems from his rumored involvement in the O'Reilly offer sheet, and his pushing for the Flames to draft Mark Jankowski (a decision that actually looks somewhat decent in hindsight, as Jankowski has emerged as a good young player).

I don't think he's the evil genius of Lannister-esque proportions that he's made out to be. He's an educated man who has worked in scouting and assistant managerial positions in the NHL in both Boston and Calgary, and he'd hardly be the first personnel member who didn't see eye to eye with Brian Burke. But I think the larger concern about him given his connection to some poor decisions is a worry that the reputation for ineptitude that is stuck to Jim Benning like glue also hovers over Weisbrod's head. IMO.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Weisbrod is a snake and he thinks he's the smartest person in the room. Want no part of that classless jerk

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
simpsons-angry-mob-1.jpg

Reactions: Nomobo

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I don't know anything about the guy personally, but the sloppy work he and Feaster did in Calgary should have been enough to warn anyone sensible off. Poor team management, drafting, deal making, contract signing, etc. We've seen a lot of the same in Vancouver since he came to the organization.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Weisbrod isn't a villain based on nothing. People don't respect his work from past teams (like orchestrating that Ryan O'Reilly offersheet in Calgary that could have been a huge disaster).

I have no idea why people are blaming Weisbrod for the O'Reilly offer sheet. The guy has an English degree. His boss has a law degree. But blame the guy with the English degree.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Jon Weisbrod is this regime's more belligerent Jared Kushner.

9:50

I have no idea why people are blaming Weisbrod for the O'Reilly offer sheet. The guy has an English degree. His boss has a law degree. But blame the guy with the English degree.

I remember at the time, Flames fans on the Flames board were specifically blaming Weisbrod. First time I really heard about or paid attention to Weisbrod.

Did quickly find this:

"Prior to tendering the offer sheet for Ryan O'Reilly we, as a hockey operations department, examined whether there were any impediments to our successfully securing the services of the player including, but not limited to, his having played in the KHL after the start of the current NHL season.
"Our interpretation of the Article 13 transition rules governing restricted free agents, and the applicability of Article 13.23 under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement to such RFA's was, and continues to be, different than the NHL's current interpretation as articulated to us this morning. Moreover, throughout our discussions, the player's representative [Patrick Morris] shared our interpretation and position with respect to the non-applicability of Article 13.23.
"While we were prepared to advance our position with the NHL, in light of Colorado's having matched the offer sheet it is now an academic point. As such, we will have no further comment on the matter, the player, or the offer sheet process."

Ryan O'Reilly offer sheet a big mistake all around | Hockey | CBC Sports

The Hockey Operations dept. was basically Feaster and Weisbrod. Both are to blame, as they both shared a similar interpretation of the rules. At best, Weisbrod didn't correct Feaster - or suggest getting the league to confirm their interpretation prior to making the offer (which would have been the smart thing to do, if it wasn't clear)... making Weisbrod to blame if not directly, indirectly. Weisbrod was supposed to be advising. I think it's very safe to assume that Weisbrod shared Feaster's view of the interpretation. Or, Feaster shared Weisbrod's view of the interpretation. Both shared a similar rule interpretation... and neither one sought league clarification if it seemed like a grey area to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: vancityluongo

Love

Feb 29, 2012
If you took Mike Gillis and removed all the good things about him and accentuated all the bad things you would end up with John Weisbrod.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The Hockey Operations dept. was basically Feaster and Weisbrod. Both are to blame, as they both shared a similar interpretation of the rules. At best, Weisbrod didn't correct Feaster... making Weisbrod to blame if not directly, indirectly. I think it's very safe to assume that Weisbrod shared Feaster's view of the interpretation. Or, Feaster shared Weisbrod's view of the interpretation. Both shared a similar rule interpretation.

And if the Canucks did that do you blame Henning while the hockey operations department consist of two other guys with law degrees? To me that's just stupid.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
And if the Canucks did that do you blame Henning while the hockey operations department consist of two other guys with law degrees? To me that's just stupid.

You don't need a law degree to say we should get clarification. That there was no league clarification made on the rule prior to making the offer, makes the entire Flames hockey operations department to blame. You don't just blame the guy with the PhD... If not one in the hockey department suggested to get a league clarification on the rule, when they saw a potential grey area, the hockey operations department is to blame. If they didn't realize a potential grey area, the hockey operations department is to blame. The Flames hockey operations department is clearly to blame. Weisbrod is not free from blame just because he is isolated from the camera. Feaster leaned heavily on Weisbrod for decisions. Weisbrod was the assistant GM. He obviously knew about the offer sheet, if he didn't orchestrate it himself. I think it matters less who's idea it was... I'm all for creative thinking (all GM's and AGM's should be thinking about how do we creatively gain an edge)... What matters is who didn't suggest to get league clarification before jumping on the idea? It should not happen. It was incompetence that it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad