Speculation: Is John Weisbrod Sneaking his Way to Becoming the Head of Hockey Operations in the Summer of 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Steve Simmons on last night with Sekerus and Price confirming Benning and Weisbrod took out Linden
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/simmons-multiple-sources-confirm-canucks-mutiny-1.1151259
I stopped listening as soon as Simmons called Benning a power broker....
headshake.gif

Moe and Curley grew tired of Larry's constant eye poking and voted him off the island.

Boo hoo.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
This whole thread is filled with character assasination plain and simple with zero facts to say that Weisbrod has done anything other than a good job for the Canucks. Pathetic. I hope he is named President or GM sooner rather than later, he deserves it.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
This whole thread is filled with character assasination plain and simple with zero facts to say that Weisbrod has done anything other than a good job for the Canucks. Pathetic. I hope he is named President or GM sooner rather than later, he deserves it.

Name some good things that can be directly attributed to John Weisbrod.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Steve Simmons on last night with Sekerus and Price confirming Benning and Weisbrod took out Linden
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/simmons-multiple-sources-confirm-canucks-mutiny-1.1151259

I listened to the interview. It's BS to me. He basically drew his own conclusions and praised himself. His evidence was that Benning presented a different plan to ownership. Unless I missed something in his interview, he never explained how Benning "stabbed" Linden in the back.

For what it's worth (and I think it's worth nothing), Gallagher and Botchford went on and disagrees with him.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Name some good things that can be directly attributed to John Weisbrod.

Well first of all I see that you are framing it in terms of what has happened when you could also say ask a question in your mind what bad things did not happen because of John Weisbrod? The latter would outnumber the former many many times over even though it doesn’t occur to most people it is just as important.

Just keep in mind that for every one instance of a good thing that can be attributed there are countless good things that cannot be and also countless bad things that didn’t happen because of John Weisbrod. Now to answer your question I believe we can confidently say that the acquisition of Sven and Markus, two winning trades, had a lot to do with John Weisbrod.

Then you look at the draft picks and I think he had a hand in most draft picks from the US HL or high schools such as Jack rathbone then you look at draft picks and I think he had a hand in most draft picks from the US HL or high schools such as Jack Rathbone. Now we’re heading into speculation territory so take this with a grain of salt but I also think he would have wanted to trade Kassian which was another good move. He also has deep connections to the Hughes family so they could be the factor that move the needle towards drafting him instead of say Adam Boqvist or someone else and whether that was the right call saying however I also think he wants to do everything in his power to get Jack Hughes due to his previously mentioned connection to the family I think in his mind once we draft Jack Hughes The rebuild will be over and I largely agree with that idea.

I also think that John Weisbrod is bold enough to pull a Brian Burke On the draft floor to acquire Jack if we do not win the draft lottery and I think this is what makes him a great executive to have on the team right now because you must agree that would be a great thing to happen if he can pull it off

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
His ghost account on here of course. Isnt that right RMB?

Hah I hope no one on the team or in the front office would ever come near this place but it would explain the depressing results if they were to come and read these threads before the games

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Well first of all I see that you are framing it in terms of what has happened when you could also say ask a question in your mind what bad things did not happen because of John Weisbrod? The latter would outnumber the former many many times over even though it doesn’t occur to most people it is just as important.

Just keep in mind that for every one instance of a good thing that can be attributed there are countless good things that cannot be and also countless bad things that didn’t happen because of John Weisbrod. Now to answer your question I believe we can confidently say that the acquisition of Sven and Markus, two winning trades, had a lot to do with John Weisbrod.

Then you look at the draft picks and I think he had a hand in most draft picks from the US HL or high schools such as Jack rathbone then you look at draft picks and I think he had a hand in most draft picks from the US HL or high schools such as Jack Rathbone. Now we’re heading into speculation territory so take this with a grain of salt but I also think he would have wanted to trade Kassian which was another good move. He also has deep connections to the Hughes family so they could be the factor that move the needle towards drafting him instead of say Adam Boqvist or someone else and whether that was the right call saying however I also think he wants to do everything in his power to get Jack Hughes due to his previously mentioned connection to the family I think in his mind once we draft Jack Hughes The rebuild will be over and I largely agree with that idea.

I also think that John Weisbrod is bold enough to pull a Brian Burke On the draft floor to acquire Jack if we do not win the draft lottery and I think this is what makes him a great executive to have on the team right now because you must agree that would be a great thing to happen if he can pull it off

What good has happened to this team since he was hired? No draft picks given to the team from the NHL that every team gets don’t count. Draft picks acquired would count.

Reactions: timw33

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

This is some exceptional fan fiction right here. Is there like a subreddit for John Weisbrod erotic lit? You'd fit right in.

Reactions: Pip and Wo Yorfat

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

This honestly isn't a defensible position.

1. Canucks tried to make the current team work and failed

or

2. Canucks tried to rebuild during this time and failed to make more than a handful of proactive rebuild moves.

Either way horrible.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
The only move I recall Weisbrod being directly linked to was that Granlund trade, which was a meh acquisition.

But it's hard to conclude that he's done anything good when the team has sucked ass his entire time here.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Iain McIntyre confirms that Linden is very Angry and feels back stabbed by Benning and Weisbrod.

now is Benning looking over his shoulder at Weisbrod? Stay Tunned

Canucks GM Benning denies role in Linden's surprise exit - Sportsnet.ca

well that is putting the cat among the pigeons. imac is citing sources with access to linden.

yet benning sounds exactly like himself and miles away from a guy who would undermine linden.

so either

a. linden is out of line

b. benning is a very good liar

c. someone is playing one against the other, or

d. benning is oblivious to the fact he undermined linden

if you choose c, then as much as people want to suspect weisbrod, the other more obvious candidate is aquilini. if you assume weisbrod was the puppet master here you'd expect benning to be saying things weisbrod had planted in his brain.

it would be interesting to find out how this change in reporting chain of command occurred when benning's contract was renewed. did benning ask for it, or did aquilini?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
well that is putting the cat among the pigeons. imac is citing sources with access to linden.

yet benning sounds exactly like himself and miles away from a guy who would undermine linden.

so either

a. linden is out of line

b. benning is a very good liar

c. someone is playing one against the other, or

d. benning is oblivious to the fact he undermined linden

if you choose c, then as much as people want to suspect weisbrod, the other more obvious candidate is aquilini. if you assume weisbrod was the puppet master here you'd expect benning to be saying things weisbrod had planted in his brain.

it would be interesting to find out how this change in reporting chain of command occurred when benning's contract was renewed. did benning ask for it, or did aquilini?

Again... I find it so hard to see Benning coming out and admitting to it, if it was the case. Like... How would that even go?

i-did-it-yes-i-did-it-no-im-not-20135132.png

There is no other option then to deny it. The fact that Benning denies it does not prove anything. IMO

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Again... I find it so hard to see Benning coming out and admitting to it, if it was the case. Like... How would that even go?

There is no other option then to deny it. The fact that Benning denies it does not prove anything. IMO

well, at this stage he does not need to prove anything. he's not accusing anyone of anything. there is no onus on him to disprove rumours that amount to anonymous hearsay. all he needs to do is provide a reasonable answer and then it's back to imac and co.

his answers are very relevant to that. after 4 years i think benning is a painfully open book most of the time and a painfully bad liar when he goes there. he gives away so much that for him to survive an interview without disclosing anything is somewhat exculpatory of him.

anyway, we'll see. maybe he's been playing 5d chess the whole time waiting to make his move.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The only move I recall Weisbrod being directly linked to was that Granlund trade, which was a meh acquisition.

But it's hard to conclude that he's done anything good when the team has sucked ass his entire time here.

He was probably responsible for having Adessa scout for us that one year. You can also attribute the "age gap" philosophy to him as well.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
If he's actually responsible for "age gap", that is reasonable grounds for his immediate firing.

Like literally no other team in the league uses that philosophy. They just get good players.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
If he's actually responsible for "age gap", that is reasonable grounds for his immediate firing.

Like literally no other team in the league uses that philosophy. They just get good players.

i think it is a safe bet that weisbrod is not going anywhere until quinn is signed. no way aquilini will mess with that applecart.

question: if the guy is the machiavelli everyone thinks he is, he is surely currently formulating a diabolical plan to get the other hughes here so aquilini will promote him. if he pulls that off, will he be forgiven?

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Please point to anything resembling a “good job” by anyone on the management team that produced the burning pile of dog feces we have as a team right now.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Funny to see the Benning shills go full on attack against 1040 journalists with insider information that Benning betrayed Linden and sided with ownership. Then their own butt buddy media member in iMac reports the same stuff Botch, Sekeres etc reported and they EVEN go against iMac their favorite shill.

So funny.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Funny to see the Benning shills go full on attack against 1040 journalists with insider information that Benning betrayed Linden and sided with ownership. Then their own butt buddy media member in iMac reports the same stuff Botch, Sekeres etc reported and they EVEN go against iMac their favorite shill.

So funny.

That's because Imac is lindens lapdog, not Benning..

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

So funny.

i think the information is that linden feels betrayed, not that he was betrayed. we have no information on how or when this supposed betrayal occurred or what it was.

and imac is the only guy who has sourced even the part about linden's feels in a persuasive manner.

so linden feels betrayed but we don't know exactly why. what now? do we choose sides?

JayBeautiful

Nature Boy
Jul 17, 2010
Maple Ridge BC

Man what a lot of I think's and I believe's, it's pretty much all speculation. Anyways I believe we can confidently say that if we had waited both Sven and Markus could have been aquired on waivers and wouldn't it have been a better option putting Kassian on waivers rather than trading for Prust and giving up a draft pick? Hmmm 3 draft picks that shouldn't have been wasted

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Please point to anything resembling a “good job” by anyone on the management team that produced the burning pile of dog feces we have as a team right now.

What you call a burning pile of feces is the result of bad drafting for over a decade that Benning inherited. The good job is the way they’ve drafted and developed elite players. I’m not saying they had a perfect record, Virtanen’s pick and development for one was a learning experience, but overall they have done a good job in that department. That’s just one example because there are too many others to list.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Man what a lot of I think's and I believe's, it's pretty much all speculation. Anyways I believe we can confidently say that if we had waited both Sven and Markus could have been aquired on waivers and wouldn't it have been a better option putting Kassian on waivers rather than trading for Prust and giving up a draft pick? Hmmm 3 draft picks that shouldn't have been wasted

It is a bit curious that you decided to single me out for posting a bit of pro-Canucks management speculation in an ocean of anti-Canucks management speculation, on a board where most of the discussion is necessarily speculation due to the nature of the limited amount of information we have access to. I doubt you’ll apply the same standards to call out other speculative posts you happen to agree with that confirm your bias but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt here.

There’s good reason to believe the following, that Weisbrod played a big part in the acquisitions of his former Calgary players given his history with the players and intel on them, that he plays a role in the scouting of USHL and NCAA players given his roots in those respective leagues and his previous job, and his ability to judge character based on reports from basketball people who not only had no incentive to speak well of Weisbrod but in fact every incentive to speak poorly of him given the reputation Weisbrod has with NBA fans who hated his McGrady trade. Yes this is mostly circumstantial and speculative but it’s also backed by reasoning and evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad