Is John Tavares still a top 10 forward in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Tavares is the 32nd best player on my list but I'm glad he's an Islander...

FWIW I have Giroux 41st

Its my list and I can do what I want....

Gudreau is #1 and Kessel is #2

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
That's the point, Isles fans are not starting it, they are defending their guy.

As for pounding our chests, hell if we have to act like the Isles are irrelevant again for the 30th consecutive year......

We are pumped beyond belief, sorry for having enthusiasm on a team I have habitually followed through hell and back. Yes the Isles have to win a Cup before they can prove they have made it, but really we cannot enjoy the ride too (even it takes a long time). Under that logic nobody could talk trash except the past 10 years of Cup winners.

Tavares will come through and finish strong and he will always have his supporters as well as the many detractors because so and so is better. Whatever, but don't expect Isles fans to accept the way hockey in general has made them the punching bag (and maybe rightfully so) of jokes over the past decade or two. This is clearly the best team on Long Island since 92-93, if not 78-84!

Didn't you know that if you're team hasn't been good in some time your opinion is invalid and you know less about hockey than those of perennial contenders?

pacehimself

Oct 5, 2008
ONE player is not the reason a team is successful. Saying Tavares is better then giroux based on team record is ridiculous....it's insane how adamant people are about that argument. Im fine with people saying Tavares is better then giroux, but pointing to team record is only proving one TEAM is better then another. Why is that so hard to grasp? Teams are made of pieces, some bigger then others, your biggest piece and our biggest piece are both incredible, but without a good TEAM around them neither would be successful. At least admit to that...

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
You made up that list yourself, but even you can see for yourself that everyone you listed leads a top ten team. All we're saying is if you take off the homer glasses for a second you might understand where we're coming from. For all of his scoring Giroux hasn't accomplished much this year.

So? An individual doesn't make the team. Stamkos was still a top 5 player when the Lightning were bottom of the conference and he was putting up points. There's only so much one player can do. Being top 3 in points is an accomplishment in itself. What you mean is the FLYERS haven't accomplished much this year.

When Tavares was 2nd in scoring and his team was 25th overall, does that mean that Tavares wasn't a top player at the time?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You are quite the dreamer. Eh?

The reality is Tavares has cemented himself at the top of just about every major publication that ranks young players today. He's always overshadowed Giroux and that feeling of inferiority is just eating up a few Flyers fans.

It's up to every other young player who dreams to be in his position to prove they belong anywhere beside him. Analyze, synthesize, rationalize, hypothesize, and homerize as much as you want about Giroux or any other wannabe, but I don't seriously think he has a shot this year. Not when:

1. Tavares surpasses him in the scoring lists.
2. Tavares is battling hard deep in the playoffs, while Giroux is polishing his golf clubs.

And why do a few of you guys insist on arguing with Islanders fans, when you spent the entire summer trying to insist that the Flyers were the far better franchise both now and into the future. These are the same guys arguing here. You were flat out wrong then. What makes you think you are right now?

Time to cut your losses and just go away.

Let me check your facts.
2011 Giroux
2012 Giroux
2013 Giroux
2014 Giroux
So far this year Giroux.

When exactly did Tavares pass Giroux in scoring lists?

This right here is why you lose credibility. Not 1 year out of the last 4 has Tavares beaten Giroux in points...and is behind this year. Yet you spew nonsense.

Tavares WILL surpass him someday I assume, but he hasn't yet.

Reality is:
Giroux has 4 top 15 finishes...2 top 3.
Tavares has 1 top 15 finish...7th.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Isles fans last year:

Tavares > Giroux. Tavares has more points! It doesn't matter that his team is horrible!

Isles fans this year:

Tavares > Giroux. Giroux has more points...but Tavares is now on a WINNING team. Look at the standings! Points are overrated. Just look at where Giroux and the Flyers are.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Making the playoffs is one thing. Building a core that's good enough to win a Stanley Cup is something entirely different. I'm not content to choke every year in the playoffs, even if I'm consistently choking in the playoffs.

The goal is the Stanley Cup. Always has been, always will be. You're either the one team who wins it and raises the banner or you're one of the 29 teams who don't win it.

You'll probably twist this as me guaranteeing an Islanders cup or something, but all I need to do is look towards other teams who've rebuilt like the Islanders and earned that ultimate prize. Pittsburgh. Chicago. Los Angeles. You follow the rebuild model and cross your fingers that you can get hot at the right time.

I'll be happy to make the playoffs.

I'll be elated to win a playoff series.

I'll be a nervous wreck to make it to the Cup Finals.

I'll celebrate like I've never had in my life if I see my Islanders win the Stanley Cup.

Reality is...the NYI fans have suffered from having a crap GM in Milbury all the way to a crap owner. And for Philly, we are now paying for a shortsighted owner who has never allowed a proper rebuild and so former GM who left our team with some good players, but also some cap issues.

In the end, when the NYI do make the playoffs, I will be cheering for you guys against other teams in our division.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Isles fans last year:

Tavares > Giroux. Tavares has more points! It doesn't matter that his team is horrible!

Isles fans this year:

Tavares > Giroux. Giroux has more points...but Tavares is now on a WINNING team. Look at the standings! Points are overrated. Just look at where Giroux and the Flyers are.

lol. aren't they so cute with their inferiority complex? they're happy they finally have a good team for the first time in 30 years. gotta love a fanbase talking smack after their team has missed the playoffs 17 of the last 25 years. it's comical. it's so hard to be mad at them though, you just gotta feel sorry for them and want them to be good for a change.

and a big LOL to that tool who said Tavares does more in a week than Giroux does in his career. I don't recall Tavares ever scoring a Stanley Cup OT goal, or singlehandedly taking a team on his back and beating Crosby and the Pens in a playoff series. try watching some hockey next time before you post something so completely stupid. no one can argue that Giroux has had the better career so far. no one.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Giroux has 4 top 15 finishes...2 top 3.
Tavares has 1 top 15 finish...7th.

Honestly what is with you and "top 15" finishes. You seem to randomly pick this stat because Giroux finished with a grand total of 1 more point in 2013(failing to mention that Tavares had 15 more goals that year and that whole 1 point was the difference of finishing 13th and 17th)

Creating a "top 15" as a measuring stick just feels like you randomly picking a number to cherry pick stats to work in your favor since no where else do I see people use "top 15" as a measuring stick(now you could argue top 10 or top 20 might be a more used measuring stick)

I think it's fair to say that despite Tavares not finishing "top 15"(and finishing 1 whole point behind Girioux and at 17th) in 2013 he had a better season then Giroux then

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Honestly what is with you and "top 15" finishes. You seem to randomly pick this stat because Giroux finished with a grand total of 1 more point in 2013(failing to mention that Tavares had 15 more goals that year and that whole 1 point was the difference of finishing 13th and 17th)

Creating a "top 15" as a measuring stick just feels like you randomly picking a number to cherry pick stats to work in your favor since no where else do I see people use "top 15" as a measuring stick(now you could argue top 10 or top 20 might be a more used measuring stick)

Lol....so top 15 is wrong and cherry picking....but top 10 or 20 are ok.

Gotcha.

How about top 5? Is that taboo as well? Giroux has 2, Tavares has zero.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Lol....so top 15 is wrong and cherry picking....but top 10 or 20 are ok.

You are the only person I see refer to "top 15" scoring, many times i see people refer to top 5, 10 or 20. Why would that be in this case that you use this random top 15, why not a top 12 or top 18. How many Top 12 Finishes does Giroux have? What exactly about the "top 15" is it that you use it all the time when most people don't use that as a measuring stick(and use the more common top 10 or 20)

As I pointed out above in 2013 when Tavares was nominated for the Hart would you say Giroux and his grand total of 1 more point made him a better player because he was in the "top 15" while Tavares was a lowly 17th who had 15 more goals? You seem to completely ignore this anytime when asked

How about top 5? Is that taboo as well? Giroux has 2, Tavares has zero.

Yeah it's Tavares fault for breaking his leg last year(when he most likely would have finished there), it's also Tavares fault Girioux has 2 years on him

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You are the only person I see refer to "top 15" scoring, many times i see people refer to top 5, 10 or 20. Why would that be in this case that you use this random top 15, why not a top 12 how many Top 12 Finishes does Giroux have?

As I pointed out above in 2013 when Tavares was nominated for the Hart would you say Giroux and his grand total of 1 point made him a better player because he was in the "top 15" while Tavares was 17th?

Yeah it's Tavares fault for breaking his leg last year(when he most likely would have finished there, it's also Tavares fault Girioux has 2 years on him

Ah yes....the coulda/woulda excuse.

I said it before and will say it again, IMO Tavares WILL get to a top 5 finish in scoring. But he hasn't yet. And when he does, he needs to prove it's not a fluke....just like Giroux had to do....just like Seguin is having to do.

Why is that not fair to say?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Ah yes....the coulda/woulda excuse.

I said it before and will say it again, IMO Tavares WILL get to a top 5 finish in scoring. But he hasn't yet. And when he does, he needs to prove it's not a fluke....just like Giroux had to do....just like Seguin is having to do.

Why is that not fair to say?

Why do you ignore my question about 2013 when Giroux with a grand total of 1 more point was "top 15" and Tavares was 17th, who was the better player that season?

And more importantly why do you have to make a stupid distinction that Giroux was "top 15" that year while Tavares wasn't(ie both were basically top 20 but one had a hell of alot more goals and it wasn't the guy who was "top 15")

You don't believe that isn't cherry picking the stats not to tell the full story of that season?

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Okay ladies we're done here. We've beaten every talking point to death.

Go outside. Play in the snow. Go freeze your *** off! Build a snowman, but for the love of Pete stop beating this horse as it will never solve anything!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia