Is John Tavares still a top 10 forward in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
At the moment John Tavares has put up 12+15=27 Points in 31 games. That puts him 22nd among forwards in Points. He's also -5 so you really can't say he's great defensively either.

Tavares was great at the start of the season so you really can't argue that last years injury still affects him. And other Islanders players also put up Points so you really can't argue that he still has bad linemates.

Has Tavares simply fallen out of the top 10 list when you're looking at all the hot new players on the rise like Seguin, Tarasenko and Voracek?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
He was never a top 10 forward, and I've been saying this for years. He gets over rated because he is a center, and would be better as a winger. He isn't great at faceoffs, barely top 30 this year in them, and has been that way for a while, can't play defense, etc.

He plays center position like a winger and puts up points so people over look his weaknesses.

I said this last year and early this season and people really don't agree but you can't prove what I say wrong. He is a guy who can only play the game at an elite level in one way, and that is in the O zone putting the puck in the net.

He isn't elite anywhere else in his game. Now I am not saying he is a poor skater or poor IQ, just saying he is obviously a great player but isn't complete enough and too much of a liability in other areas to put him anywhere in the top 10 when there are much better centers out there. He falls into the range with Kessel, Perry, and Kane, probably above those guys due to age and contract for value, but they are all similar players.

Gundee1114

Aug 4, 2011
Minnesota
Let's wait and see if Voracek and Tarasenko can keep it up year to year. Seguin, possibly. Tavares is still Top 10 in my book.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Here we go again. :shakehead

Your two points are wrong. Tavares hasn't looked good at all this season so his injury could defiantly play a role in his play. And his line has been the worst line on the team because, for some reason, our coach decided to put Conacher on the first line for half the season and Tavares and Okposo don't have chemistry this year for some reason.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
As an Isles fan, he's not playing like a top 10 forward at all this season so far. Something is up with him whether it's psychological or injury related, he hasn't been himself at all. In the past few seasons? Was definitely a top 10, but he's just not playing like one right now. Still impressive that he is producing with how bad he's been. I'm not too worried about him though, JT is the kind of guy who won't let himself slump this hard for too long by any means possible. Also, our team is basically thanking him for being a one man team all these years right now by picking up the slack while he's not playing good.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
"Still?" He never has been.

The list here on HF has been Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Ovechkin and then Tavares as 5th. He was considered elite and people was thinking he would win the Art Ross after his first 4 games this year.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Here we go again. :shakehead

Your two points are wrong. Tavares hasn't looked good at all this season so his injury could defiantly play a role in his play. And his line has been the worst line on the team because, for some reason, our coach decided to put Conacher on the first line for half the season and Tavares and Okposo don't have chemistry this year for some reason.

So 9 Points in the first 4 games isn't looking good? :laugh:

AHB*

This season, no. If I'm starting a roster and picking guys to build around, yes.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Also, so it doesn't look like I'm picking on Tavares, I don't think Stamkos has been a top 10 F this year either.

Joedaman55

Jun 7, 2014
Anchorage, AK
I would rate him in the top 10 but I can understand if some people wouldn't. He has not looked like himself this year, at least compared to the last three years.

JetsMetsIsles

Nov 20, 2009
At the moment John Tavares has put up 12+15=27 Points in 31 games. That puts him 22nd among forwards in Points. He's also -5 so you really can't say he's great defensively either.

Tavares was great at the start of the season so you really can't argue that last years injury still affects him. And other Islanders players also put up Points so you really can't argue that he still has bad linemates.

Has Tavares simply fallen out of the top 10 list when you're looking at all the hot new players on the rise like Seguin, Tarasenko and Voracek?

As of right now no way. Can he get back there Im sure but he has definitely been struggling. Not sure if its the injury because he started off the year so well but something isnt right. Hopefully he plays his way out of it and gets it together at the right time.

Deadweight

Apr 20, 2014
New York, NY
Just because he was putting up points doesnt mean he was playing like the same old JT. Hes a good player, he finds a way to get on the boards even when hes at his worst.

Injury is 100 percent still effecting him. He hasnt been close to what he was since then. And i dont were going to see that change until after the trade deadline(at least). Once he stops getting fustrated too easily, gets split up with Okposo, and trying to hard he will be back.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
The list here on HF has been Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Ovechkin and then Tavares as 5th. He was considered elite and people was thinking he would win the Art Ross after his first 4 games this year.

Was definitely not my list. I filter out guys who I feel got over rated, and factor in guys who have shown consistancy and are too elite to say no too.

My top 10 list to start the season was (and has changed now obviously as the season is being played, this was before the season).

In no order.

Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos
Getzlaf
Ovi
Doughty
Giroux
Toews
Kopitar
Weber

Mostly guys who play the best all around game or are just too dominant to leave off.

Tavares, Kessel, Seguin, Kane, etc are all close together, and you probably can't put one before the other. They all score at PPG pace, and suck in their own zone.

This season Seguin has been better than that group, but still sucks in his own zone so in my mind unless he puts up 100 points or something crazy, won't be a top 10 player.

Right now this seasons top 10 players are much much different.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY

So 4 games out of 30 is a legit sample size? Most reasonable people like to wait a while to make judgements instead of jumping to conclusions. Tavares has not looked good for a very large majority of the season (is that better?) He has turned the puck over too much and his passes havn't been connecting. His points show that he is playing well but that's why you don't look at points when judging players, they're deceiving.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Also, so it doesn't look like I'm picking on Tavares, I don't think Stamkos has been a top 10 F this year either.

Seguin is outplaying the hell out of both of them.

Anyways too early to say Tarasenko or Vorachek has passed Tavares, it hasn't even been a full season for any of them at this level yet.... maybe if they both score 90+, otherwise Tavares has already had an 80 point season.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
Was definitely not my list. I filter out guys who I feel got over rated, and factor in guys who have shown consistancy and are too elite to say no too.

My top 10 list to start the season was (and has changed now obviously as the season is being played, this was before the season).

In no order.

Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos
Getzlaf
Ovi
Doughty
Giroux
Toews
Kopitar
Weber

Mostly guys who play the best all around game or are just too dominant to leave off.

Tavares, Kessel, Seguin, Kane, etc are all close together, and you probably can't put one before the other. They all score at PPG pace, and suck in their own zone.

This season Seguin has been better than that group, but still sucks in his own zone so in my mind unless he puts up 100 points or something crazy, won't be a top 10 player.

Right now this seasons top 10 players are much much different.

I would not rank those two bolded players at top-10 forwards.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
he has been terrible (by his standards), but i suspect in about a month or so, this will be a distant memory...the good thing for the isles is that they are putting up points without hamonic, boychuk and an up to part JT......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad