Is John Hynes Fired Yet? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I think the players are already in (or getting to) a real bad place mentally, which really is alarming. They could use a mental teardown along with a return to a simpler game.

By teardown, I mean a reset, not a lashing. For that to happen, they're going to need new coaches, period. There's simply nothing positive to be extracted from this current crew.

I believe our loose cannons can be reigned in with mere tweaks, but there seems to be a profound lack of discipline that is infectious right now. Lots of casual and careless play.

Even if we get new staff, it's going to take some time to coach the stupid out of this club.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Why does he still have a job? I will re-flip my avatar once the deed has been done.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
That last line in the post game interview sounded like he was hinting at discussions with Shero and how there's "not an overreaction."

There were a lot of personnel changes and I bet Ray has a number in mind like 10 or 15 games. I can't see him pulling the plug 6 games into the season, especially with the extension.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
That presser was garbage, it's insane that he doesn't seem too concerned, just a word salad, blah blah blah.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I do think part of Hynes issue is putting together a poor coaching staff.

He isn’t good with Xs and Os and no one in his staff is either. Ward wasn’t some kind of god, but the only success Hynes has had here was with Ward on the staff. Plus the PP did have success under him.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
That presser was garbage, it's insane that he doesn't seem too concerned, just a word salad, blah blah blah.

Halls and Subbans interview was much more real.

Hall said [paraphrasing], "we are bad in our own zone, and we spend more time chasing, by the time we get the puck we are off for a shift change", and highlights that as one major problem.

He also said he's not feeling good about his game, and that even though we were up 4-1, we weren't really playing so great as a team, so theres a lot of work to do.

Subban is critical of himself and basically also pinpointed that when the team is on, we're really good, when the team is off, we're an easy team to beat.

Hynes gave the "when you look at details, you can see certain things are fine", but fails to acknowledge the whole picture. 6 games, no wins...... 3 blown leads at home. 1 giant blowout loss, 2 shutouts against (was philly game a shutout?)

Man, that picture is abysmal.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
If nothing happens after the Rags embarrass us then I’m done with until Shero gets canned

Rangers fan here coming in peace. Thanks for the credit. Knowing the Rangers luck this is when the Devils win 4-3 Hughes get hat trick and then back to sloppiness. This Devils team reminds me of the last year Rangers under AV. Making stupid mistakes, that are fixable. I think they need a different voice as coach. Is it the lack of depth for the Devils, or coaching an issue? How does Hughes not have any points? Is he even getting quality minutes?

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
At least someone like Boucher knows what they should be doing to close out with a lead.

Hynes is getting embarrassed at home in grand fashion with these ridiculous blown leads. Multiple 3+ leads blown at home and shut out twice on the road already, in only 6 games!

Inexcusable...Shero needs to hit the panic button soon, we're well beyond "play f***ing harder"

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I do think part of Hynes issue is putting together a poor coaching staff.

He isn’t good with Xs and Os and no one in his staff is either. Ward wasn’t some kind of god, but the only success Hynes has had here was with Ward on the staff. Plus the PP did have success under him.

What’s their budget for staff? We know under Lou they didn’t pinch pennies when it came to coaching and front office staff (even if it wasn’t always spent right). But it was odd Ward left after the team had its best season under the staff.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Rangers fan here coming in peace. Thanks for the credit. Knowing the Rangers luck this is when the Devils win 4-3 Hughes get hat trick and then back to sloppiness. This Devils team reminds me of the last year Rangers under AV. Making stupid mistakes, that are fixable. I think they need a different voice as coach. Is it the lack of depth for the Devils, or coaching an issue? How does Hughes not have any points? Is he even getting quality minutes?

It’s just puck luck for Hughes. He had a sure goal that hit two posts and went out today.

He is one of the few guys generating chances on most shifts right now. He isn’t getting a ton of minutes though.

They are playing like morons overall and coaching is the most obvious answer to blame.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

....This is a bad time to come in here. Haha. We'll assume the peace is legit..

Not sure what to make of this debacle. It looks like its *65%* coaching/system and 35% players to me. But your mileage may vary. It's more the blown leads that is really killing us. I can take a loss when the team is fighting out there, but giving up huge leads to losses is really painful, and very concerning. The team metally looks shellshocked stemming from opening night 4-0 to 4-5 SO loss. Today looked like they broke past that, and then blew a 4-1 lead with some really dumb mistakes by vets.

Hughes is getting quality minutes, the skill is there, I will withhold further judgement until the team settles down a bit. I'm more critical of him than others here, so take that with a grain of salt. I think he needs more baking...

Reactions: My3Sons

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Hughes underlying numbers have improved a lot. He still has work to do but he will be fine.

Subban worries me a lot. He seems perfectly healthy, but he is making so many stupid decisions. To my eyes he also seems to be doing his own thing. Like he isn’t being coached at all and is just playing street hockey.

Reactions: zharkenby

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
What’s their budget for staff? We know under Lou they didn’t pinch pennies when it came to coaching and front office staff (even if it wasn’t always spent right). But it was odd Ward left after the team had its best season under the staff.

Maybe Ward just saw the handwriting on the wall and escaped when he had the chance.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I mean Subban and Seversom have been abysmal together...but Hynes thinks they should still play together.

It's really worrisome that this guy is an actual NHL coach.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Team is gone mentally. Go into games expecting to lose and fold immediately at any sign of adversity. Need a new voice. And that isn't even getting into the lack of any system or structure. Someone has to come that can get them to clean their entire game up. And the defense is way too slow - there isn't one single guy who you look at and say skating is their strongest asset.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Team is gone mentally. Go into games expecting to lose and fold immediately at any sign of adversity. Need a new voice. And that isn't even getting into the lack of any system or structure. Someone has to come that can get them to clean their entire game up. And the defense is way too slow - there isn't one single guy who you look at and say skating is their strongest asset.

They need a fresh face and to start from scratch with the basics.

Hynes system is not working. It’s not close to working. It isn’t going to suddenly work in a few games like he seems to think.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

Well, PK Subban skating is pretty good from what I remember. Maybe he lost a half-step at this age, but i thought that was part of his A game, at least, it was?

Marv4Life

Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
Anyone thinks Hynes is on a short rope, you're in for big disappointment. First thing is Shero loves Hynes, he's going to try every trick (minor moves) he can think of before he entertains canning Hynes.

Plus history shows Shero does not have an itchy trigger finger when it comes to firing head coaches. He's most likely going to stay the course.
Alrighty then, by this claim, Shero tolerates losing. If that's the case then Shero can bounce too.
Minor moves aren't enough to save this abortion.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
What bothers me is that damn near half the coaches in the league are one trick ponies. They can't adapt to the roster they inherit. It's maddening.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Well, PK Subban skating is pretty good from what I remember. Maybe he lost a half-step at this age, but i thought that was part of his A game, at least, it was?

well the negative scouting reports coming into the season was that he couldn’t skate any more.

He’s lost a step, I think. The scary thing though is I don’t think he has realized that yet. His game needs to be more centered around passing the puck than carrying it. At time it looks like he is trying to play like prime Niedermayer, but he isn’t that

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I mean, best case scenario right now is they right the ship and STILL miss the playoffs, in which case the season is STILL a failure and you'd have to fire Hynes anyway.

So why in God's name would you waste everyone's time and not do it tomorrow?

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I mean, best case scenario right now is they right the ship and STILL miss the playoffs, in which case the season is STILL a failure and you'd have to fire Hynes anyway.

So why in God's name would you waste everyone's time and not do it tomorrow?

I'd say mostly everyone agrees here, but there's not many "Good" options on paper whom you go to next. You either go with unproveen NHL coach or get Boucher, that's about it... All the other "name brand coaches" are already taken as assistant or HC.

Or you go with a dinosaur like Carlyle, which aint happening, or we all hope will never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad