Is Jagr the greatest European player of all time?

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
The Norris trophy is as big a joke as the Selke. It's nothing more than a popularity contest. I don't put much stock in Lidstrom winning 7 of them. For example, Karlsson should have about 5 right now, but he doesn't because it's a joke.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
The Norris trophy is as big a joke as the Selke. It's nothing more than a popularity contest. I don't put much stock in Lidstrom winning 7 of them. For example, Karlsson should have about 5 right now, but he doesn't because it's a joke.

How could Karlsson have 5 when he regularly gets voted as being one of the most overrated players by his peers? He can't play D..

Slapshot Sultan

Oct 5, 2017
NHL only

1. Jagr
2. Ovechkin
3. Lidstrom
4. Hasek
5. Forsberg
6. Selanne
7. Malkin
8. Stastny
9. Fedorov
10. Kurri/Datsyuk

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
No.

That honor goes to the late Valeri Kharlamov.

However, if you are talking NHL players only, I would still have to say Hasek was the best European.
Came here to mention Kharlamov. His speed, puck skills, and finishing ability absolutely shocked Team Canada in the 1972 Summit Series.

Legendary.

I'd say Jagr is the most accomplished NHL Euro. Imagine what his numbers would be like if he hadn't spent 3 years in the KHL.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
So Lidstrom MAYBE one less Norris and Karlsson MAYBE one more (sure as hell not 5).... so what?

Lidstrom is still a top 5 Dman of all-time in the eyes of most fans AND experts regardless. No joke.

Brad Park doesnt have any (because Bobby Orr) and is still regarded as one of the best ever.

Jericho111091

Dec 18, 2014
Paramount Ca
Hes one of I'd say 4 players who all have a strong claim to that title. Hasek, Lidstrom, Ovechkin and Jagr could all be considered the best Euro NHLers imo.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Interesting.... Jagr missed 4 season from the NHL yet still managed to be 2nd all time in points.. 4 years straigh Art Ross ... for Lidstrom to be above Jagr he would have to rate near or same level as Bobby Orr

He had 7 Norris trophies and like 35 cups.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
No.

That honor goes to the late Valeri Kharlamov.

However, if you are talking NHL players only, I would still have to say Hasek was the best European.

Valeri Kharlamov is the most overrated player I've seen on here, was in no way better than Jagr, Ovechkin, Forsberg, Lidstrom or Fedorov. Makarov was even better than him.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Valeri Kharlamov is the most overrated player I've seen on here, was in no way better than Jagr, Ovechkin, Forsberg, Lidstrom or Fedorov. Makarov was even better than him.
He was the Wayne Gretzky of the 70s. If Bobby Clarke has not broke his ankle in the 72 series, he would have been the sole reason the Soviet Union would have been victorious.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Jagr is the best player since Mario, I guess for some it'll come down to what you value more, some of the best goal tending ever or some of the best offensive domination ever.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Jagr was a great player, but is for some reason overrated by certain people. I guess not everyone remembers how soft and inconsistent he could be, his tendency to disappear in the playoffs, his awful stint in Washington at a time that should have been his prime.

Jagr's inability to lead a team to the finals should in itself disqualify him from the mantle of the greatest European player. Hasek did it, Ovechkin's done it, Lidstrom did it. But not Jagr.

I really like Jagr though. He's an awesome guy and one of my favorite personalities. But he's not the best Euro.

Reactions: ProspectsFanatic

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Jagr was a great player, but is for some reason overrated by certain people. I guess not everyone remembers how soft and inconsistent he could be, his tendency to disappear in the playoffs, his awful stint in Washington at a time that should have been his prime.

Jagr's inability to lead a team to the finals should in itself disqualify him from the mantle of the greatest European player. Hasek did it, Ovechkin's done it, Lidstrom did it. But not Jagr.

I really like Jagr though. He's an awesome guy and one of my favorite personalities. But he's not the best Euro.

I am one of the biggest Ovy's fan on this website but let's be honest Ovi also had few subpar and bad seasons by his standards including 1-2 bad playoffs too.
-2011-2012 as the whole season was bad for him
-2012-2013 amazing regular season, terrible playoffs
-2014-2015 again amazing regular season, very average playoffs

So it is not like Ovy was super consistent through out his entire career. He disappeared too what many people would call in the prime years of hockey (27-30). Lindstrom on the other hand was nothing that special until he turned 30+. And even than let's be honest he played majority of his career on stacked teams. To sum this up, every single one of them has been disappearing/had bad seasons in their careers

slicedbread

Oct 27, 2015
Ostrava

How can you overrate someone, who’s second in all time points yet still got to miss 5 seasons? (KHL + lockouts) ? People don’t realize just how great and dominant jagr was...

Jagr and Hašek are both best euros to lace em up...

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I am one of the biggest Ovy's fan on this website but let's be honest Ovi also had few subpar and bad seasons by his standards including 1-2 bad playoffs too.
-2011-2012 as the whole season was bad for him
-2012-2013 amazing regular season, terrible playoffs
-2014-2015 again amazing regular season, very average playoffs

So it is not like Ovy was super consistent through out his entire career. He disappeared too what many people would call in the prime years of hockey (27-30). Lindstrom on the other hand was nothing that special until he turned 30+. And even than let's be honest he played majority of his career on stacked teams. To sum this up, every single one of them has been disappearing/had bad seasons in their careers

Jagr was a black hole three seasons straight with the Capitals. Ovechkin always rebounded from his subpar years.

And he won that Conn Smythe.

Jagr just isn't the best. He can't be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad