Is Jagr the greatest European player of all time?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
And if you read correctly, I said he was no longer elite after his return from the KHL. He was good, but not elite.

Yup I read it right. Goes without saying someone that old wouldn't be elite. Actually one season he produced at the third highest rate per minute at 5 on 5 though in his best season with Florida.

slicedbread

Oct 27, 2015
Ostrava
Ovechkin - ? - Jagr
Lidstrom - Fetisov
Hasek

The margins between them are so narrow that it comes down mostly to personal preference and generational perspectives. None of them is way out ahead of the others. Personally, late-90s Hasek is maybe the most consistently dominant player I've ever seen and I'd have a very hard time ranking him anything but #1 in this group.

It's interesting that there really hasn't been THAT European center. Perhaps it would have been Forsberg in an alternate reality where he was much healthier.

Datsyuk?

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
Yes, Jagr is the best Euro ever. Hasek and Lidstrom were very good too, but Jagr is way above them.
Here's an anecdote; The Canucks asked Peter Nedved who the best player in the 1990 draft was, Nedved said Jagr, so the Canucks, in their infinite wisdom took Nedved at #2 (because of his integrity) and Pittsburgh grabbed Jagr at #5 - Oh, Canuck Luck.

Reactions: slicedbread

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
including Russians (NHL only)

Ovie
Hasek
Jagr
Lidstrom

Malkin
Forsberg
Selanne
Feds
Stastny
Bure

Last edited:

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
100% yes.

Forward - Jagr
D - Lidstrom
G - Hasek

We can argue positions in circles, but overall I give it to Jagr for his longevity. Lidstrom won more titles on better teams and had teh individual success as well. Hasek was easily the best goaltender weve ever seen, just didnt have the teams in his prime around him.

Reactions: LeHab

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Best European talking head?

66780368-2DED-4059-9921-BFE91D283A2E.jpeg

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
In terms of sheer dominance relative to position, for me it's:

Hasek
Lidstrom
Jagr

But as others have mentioned, you can make a case for just about any order of those three.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
Makarov has played in the NHL and was better, albeit outside it.
I think that these Russians who played outside the NHL get too much mythical status, that said, if you're gonna talk Makarov, why not Larionov?

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Why do you think that? I DON’T want to undermine forsbergs hockey abilities (good old times with Hejduk, Foote and Sakic ), but it takes a lot of cojones to say he is better than the magic man
No, if you did a poll it would be a landslide for Foppa

Malkin vs Forsberg would be more interesting

Datsyuk I believe would be closer with Sundin, Bure

Selanne somewhere in between Forsberg and Datsyuk

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad