Prospect Info: Is it too soon to discuss the 2021 draft?

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Yeah so if we lose these last two games we definitely fall 2 spots and then depending on what Vancouver does we could fall a third spot. Lose for booze!

Exactly. With the Kings and Senators (right now leading 3-2 in 3rd period), if the two teams end up tied point wise, the Senators would get the better draft position (regulation wins is the 2nd tiebreaker). Hopefully the Senators will hold on and win tonight. Otherwise, like you said the Kings would draft 9th to 11th overall, depending on final results with Vancouver and Calgary. Which is right around where I see a break in draft talent.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Exactly. With the Kings and Senators (right now leading 3-2 in 3rd period), if the two teams end up tied point wise, the Senators would get the better draft position (regulation wins is the 2nd tiebreaker). Hopefully the Senators will hold on and win tonight. Otherwise, like you said the Kings would draft 9th to 11th overall, depending on final results with Vancouver and Calgary. Which is right around where I see a break in draft talent.
I thought Ottawa already had more regulation wins. Doesn’t matter. Kings aren’t scoring a goal against Colorado tomorrow.

Reactions: kilowatt

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
I thought Ottawa already had more regulation wins. Doesn’t matter. Kings aren’t scoring a goal against Colorado tomorrow.

Yes they do, sorry if I confused us. With Ottawa winning tonight, if the Kings lose tonight and their final game, the Kings could end up at 8th overall.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
This years draft have the makings of becoming a generational okay year. I don't think I'll mind if we don't get a top 5 pick. Hoping it's not another '96 year. Yikes. Best player available is all I can ask for.....whoever that may be. Lets just hope it's not another one of these.

2003 Freakin twice!!!
127Los AngelesJeff Tambellini
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
128AnaheimCorey Perry
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
(Hate this rat but I might just I'd take him over Jeff, maybe)

244Los AngelesKonstantin Pushkarev
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
245BostonPatrice Bergeron
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

115Los AngelesDerek Forbort
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
116St. LouisVladimir Tarasenko
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

487Los AngelesKevin Brown
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
488MinnesotaJere Lehtinen
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

17Los AngelesMartin Gelinas
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
18ChicagoJeremy Roenick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
(I know we all hate Roenick, but he was a pretty good player in his prime)

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Highest they can finish is 8th. Win their last game they finish 10th or 11th. Lose their last game they finish 8th or 9th.

Calgary and Vancouver have 4 more games plays with each other.
One win for Calgary and 2 wins for Vancouver and Kings will end up at 6th overall.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
One win for Calgary and 2 wins for Vancouver and Kings will end up at 6th overall.
Calgary is already ahead of LA so only Vancouver can pass the Kings. The Kings can finish no worse than 7th worst in the league. Seattle is guaranteed a top 5 pick so the Kings pick no better than 8th without moving up in the lottery.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
What does the tiebreaker with San Jose come down to? If the Kings lose tonight, they will have identical records (21W 28L 7OT). I am assuming it's regulation wins LA-19 SJ-15?

Reactions: Mats26

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Looking at those teams and games left, the highest we can do is pick 8th unless we win 1 of the 2 lotteries. Probably looking at a 8-12 pick.

Looks good for a 8-9 pick now. Depending on Vancouver with 5 games left. If the Avs screw this up and give pts away vs the Kings we may drop back a few spots.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Not really worried about the draft pick this year. If Beniers is a top-3 pick it tells me the draft is probably not filled with any potential game-changers at the top. Nothing against Beniers, he like Turcotte will be a very useful player in the NHL based on his intangible and skill combo, but he just doesn't scream "Top 5 pick" to me, but he is basically consensus top 5 (maybe even as high as #2 OA). Power is the only guy who I think would have a chance to be a real massive difference maker for the Kings down the road if things fall right for him, and he is going #1 so the Kings would have to win the lottery.

But if there is a guy the Kings really like, they have plenty of draft capital to make a move up the board. I doubt moving up this year would be as expensive as years past.

Last edited:

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019

Actually, LA is currently sitting at the 8th worst record in the league right now. That is good for 9th overall in the draft (Seattle has the 3rd overall slot for the draft lottery). The lowest we can go is 7th worst record (8th overall) if Vancouver ends up with more points than us.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Actually, LA is currently sitting at the 8th worst record in the league right now. That is good for 9th overall in the draft (Seattle has the 3rd overall slot for the draft lottery). The lowest we can go is 7th worst record (8th overall) if Vancouver ends up with more points than us.

Correct. If Kings lose tonight then Vancouver would need to get 5 points in their remaining 5 games to pass LA. If Kings win tonight then they'll pass Ottawa and be sitting in the 10 spot with a slight possibility of rising to 9th or falling to 11th depending on how the 4 remaining games between Vancouver and Calgary finish.

Reactions: The Lukeman

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not really worried about the draft pick this year. If Beniers is a top-3 pick it tells me the draft is probably not filled with any potential game-changers at the top. Nothing against Beniers, he like Turcotte will be a very useful player in the NHL based on his intangible and skill combo, but he just doesn't scream "Top 5 pick" to me, but he is basically consensus top 5 (maybe even as high as #2 OA). Power is the only guy who I think would have a chance to be a real massive difference maker for the Kings down the road if things fall right for him, and he is going #1 so the Kings would have to win the lottery.

But if there is a guy the Kings really like, they have plenty of draft capital to make a move up the board. I doubt moving up this year would be as expensive as years past.

I'm with you. It seems like most people think there aren't any surefire top guys in the draft, that most of the dmen are #2 types...but then they said that about Drysdale as well (I personally thought he was more Keith than anything but I digress). I'm sure they've got 'a guy' lined up. But the fluidity of the top 10 is why I'm okay picking a goalie if none of the dmen (or Guenther) fall.

I'm just gonna put this out there... Is RP actually Rosamund Pike?

I thought we established this a long time ago

Reactions: lumbergh

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Love Sam Cosentino's work. He is one of the best out there.

Sportsnet’s 2021 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings: May Edition

Sportsnet’s 2021 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings: May Edition

I hate to pick on the kid because he is a very good hockey player, very good teammate , brilliant student and future captain.

But if you are taking someone #2 overall do you really want their best attributes to be

"Plays a complete game and combines an excellent work ethic with fierce competitiveness"

This draft is either severely under scouted due to Covid or it might be a 1996 type draft. That is the only conclusion I can make with Beniers ranked that high. Even a guy like Power with his physical attributes and skill combination is not going in the top 3 in either of the last two drafts. Kent Johnson might go top 8, I think most years he'd more of a middle of the pack guy. Another guy with a decent ceiling but a lot of question marks, IMO way more than Caufield had.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I hate to pick on the kid because he is a very good hockey player, very good teammate , brilliant student and future captain.

But if you are taking someone #2 overall do you really want their best attributes to be

"Plays a complete game and combines an excellent work ethic with fierce competitiveness"

This draft is either severely under scouted due to Covid or it might be a 1996 type draft. That is the only conclusion I can make with Beniers ranked that high. Even a guy like Power with his physical attributes and skill combination is not going in the top 3 in either of the last two drafts. Kent Johnson might go top 8, I think most years he'd more of a middle of the pack guy. Another guy with a decent ceiling but a lot of question marks, IMO way more than Caufield had.

Yes, I think it's widely regarded by those who are 'experts' that this draft is not strong overall and I don't think you would find much difference talent wise if selecting 7 or 21, as an example. There's no one who is going to knock the socks of any organization as opposed to the previous few drafts where you had obvious talent at the top of the board that would be coveted and could help change the fortune of a club.

For my money and just because I have seen him more often, I really like Brandt Clarke. I think he has the makings of a fairly solid top pairing defenseman.

Reactions: Oof and LAKings88

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Correct. If Kings lose tonight then Vancouver would need to get 5 points in their remaining 5 games to pass LA. If Kings win tonight then they'll pass Ottawa and be sitting in the 10 spot with a slight possibility of rising to 9th or falling to 11th depending on how the 4 remaining games between Vancouver and Calgary finish.

So the guy who was preaching for months on how there was no way the Kings would be a Top 10 drafting team and are guaranteed to make the playoffs is probably hiding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad