Prospect Info: Is it too soon to discuss the 2021 draft?

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Gary at the podium - "We have a trade to announce! The Los Angeles Kings have acquired Jack Eichel and Rasmus Ristolainen from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for their 2021 first and second round draft picks, 2022 first round draft pick, Alex Turcotte, and Adrian Kempe."

I was originally thinking this had Vilardi as well and thought that was too steep. It’s still a monster package and carries a lot of risk.

Reactions: Legionnaire

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I'm fine with hat in the ring.

I'm not fine with house and car keys in the ring.

Sure, if part of the ask is Byfield, I’m hanging up but, if part of the package is a Vilardi, Kupari or Turcotte I will continue to engage in discussion.

I like the guys noted above but you have to give to get.

I could care less about this years 1st, that’s not an issue as part of a package.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
The more I think about it, seems like unless there is nothing on the trade market, Blake will be compelled to trade the pick (assuming it winds up 8th to 10th). Why would he take a Wallstedt or a player who is going to need a couple seasons in college/juniors, by which time he'll have been fired?

Reactions: KINGS17

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The more I think about it, seems like unless there is nothing on the trade market, Blake will be compelled to trade the pick (assuming it winds up 8th to 10th). Why would he take a Wallstedt or a player who is going to need a couple seasons in college/juniors, by which time he'll have been fired?
Yes, this is the type of situation where bad decisions are made by desperate GMs.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Not 100% in on the Eichel trade rumors to LA. Worth kicking the tires though. I think we can use the 10 million to fill in alot of holes we have(At wing and at D) but just for kicks my offer would be:

Vilardi-JAD-2021 1st and Brown for Eichel

2C + 3C for an established 1C
1st rd pick to offset the talent gap. (Maybe add another pick 2022 2nd?)
Brown for Vet leadership and cap

For the Kings:
Centers: Kopitar-Eichel- Byfeild- (Kupari\Thomas etc.. for 4th line C) The center positions look decent. Even after Kopitar slows Eichel and Byfeild as 1-2 C would be a handful. Turcotte can move to 3C once Kopitar is done. Eichel-Byfeild-Turcotte is a contender.
Top 9 Wingers: Turcotte-Kaliyev-Moore-Kempe-Iafallo-AA + Fagemo + Madden +trades or UFAs
4th line Wingers: Anderson, Lemieux, Grundstrom + trades or UFAs

For Buffalo:
Centers: Cozens-Vilardi-JAD (Nice core of young centers)
Cap Space (Use it to bring in Vet leadership)
2 picks in top 10.
Flip Brown at the TDL for more picks
They basically going to look good in 2-3 years (Quinn, JJ-Peterka, Cozens, Vilardi, JAD , Mittelstadt, etc.. + 2 top 10 picks)

I don't think that Vilardi is a core piece for them since he is still not established enough but that would be as high as I would go. Byfeild is off the table and Turcotte would be painful to see moved at this point in his development. We are trading from a position of stength, getting a 1C for 2-3 centers is a nice upward move. With whatever cap is left we'll still need a UFA or 2 on D

Last edited:

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Feels like the consensus around our untouchables is Byfield for sure and potentially Kaliyev. So it seems any draft picks this year and next are on the table. I don’t pay close attention to high school age prospects so I have no real idea about the quality of this draft. But it sounds like outside the #1 pick there are no game changers, especially if you’re looking for a piece who could improve next year’s lineup.

This kid Power is intriguing to me. He’s got a mans frame and won’t turn 19 till the end of the year. He’s also left handed and has 1 shortened season of college hockey under his belt. Getting him and having him join next year’s team is hard to turn down if possible. With him and Byfield in the lineup it would be like having baby Pronger and Lindros at the top of the depth chart.

The kings have relatively low odds of getting the first OA pick, but I’d be willing to sacrifice a pet to make that happen. If the pick goes to another cellar dweller, I think there could be a chance to make a trade. For example, if the Sens get the pick, they might be interested in getting some of the Kings “touchables” in exchange. If they had guys who could step in next year and fit in with their young core, they might be good enough to be close to the playoffs. Replacing Anisimov and Dzingel with Vilardi and Kempe, while swapping first would make them better and save them money versus resigning or substituting with equivalent players.

Or throw Detroit in there. Maybe they finally get that lottery pick and want to move faster. If Buffalo or NJ gets it, they also are teams that have been losing and developing high picks. If you’re of the mind the Kings are 2-3 years away from sniffing the playoffs and developing into a power house, then getting a guy like Power in the fold is exciting.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
Feels like the consensus around our untouchables is Byfield for sure and potentially Kaliyev. So it seems any draft picks this year and next are on the table. I don’t pay close attention to high school age prospects so I have no real idea about the quality of this draft. But it sounds like outside the #1 pick there are no game changers, especially if you’re looking for a piece who could improve next year’s lineup.

This kid Power is intriguing to me. He’s got a mans frame and won’t turn 19 till the end of the year. He’s also left handed and has 1 shortened season of college hockey under his belt. Getting him and having him join next year’s team is hard to turn down if possible. With him and Byfield in the lineup it would be like having baby Pronger and Lindros at the top of the depth chart.

The kings have relatively low odds of getting the first OA pick, but I’d be willing to sacrifice a pet to make that happen. If the pick goes to another cellar dweller, I think there could be a chance to make a trade. For example, if the Sens get the pick, they might be interested in getting some of the Kings “touchables” in exchange. If they had guys who could step in next year and fit in with their young core, they might be good enough to be close to the playoffs. Replacing Anisimov and Dzingel with Vilardi and Kempe, while swapping first would make them better and save them money versus resigning or substituting with equivalent players.

Or throw Detroit in there. Maybe they finally get that lottery pick and want to move faster. If Buffalo or NJ gets it, they also are teams that have been losing and developing high picks. If you’re of the mind the Kings are 2-3 years away from sniffing the playoffs and developing into a power house, then getting a guy like Power in the fold is exciting.

I still feel we haven't even made a Ryan Smyth trade let alone go all in on Richards. We are not close to where we should be for a big trade. We should keep our picks and prospects unless a player becomes available and is a no brainer. (i.e Eichel) for fair value. I would use the cap space instead to better the team until we know what we have on the farm.

Reactions: Octavian

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I still feel we haven't even made a Ryan Smyth trade let alone go all in on Richards. We are not close to where we should be for a big trade. We should keep our picks and prospects unless a player becomes available and is a no brainer. (i.e Eichel) for fair value. I would use the cap space instead to better the team until we know what we have on the farm.
This team is probably still a season away from being able to coax a veteran with an NTC into accepting a trade to the Kings, and for it to happen Byfield would have to take a big step forward next season.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Also

Sabres GM: Jack Eichel wants surgery never performed on NHL player

Buffalo Sabres center Jack Eichel wants surgery that's never been performed on an NHL player to repair a herniated disk, general manager Kevyn Adams told reporters Wednesday. The new information sheds light on the disconnect between the team and the player over Eichel's injury.
“It's been speculated and discussed from Jack's camp about potentially having a surgery that's never been done on a National Hockey League player before,” Adams said. “Our doctors aren't comfortable with that.”

“There's a high probability that through a conservative rehab approach, you are able to avoid surgery and you're able to come back and perform at the top of your game,” Adams added. “That is what everybody agreed upon and that’s the hope that we all still have. What I want to make sure you all understand is we’re still in that window.”

A herniated disk is not a minor injury.

Reactions: kingsfan28

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Uhh. How many minutes do MacDermid play? 13 minutes?

And even with those limited minutes he was still on the ice for a ridiculous amount of goals and prime scoring chances. It was also similar to the Richards situation in 2014 where no matter who he played with he dragged them down too.

I think he can have a situational role on this team but needs to be on the left wing.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
This team is probably still a season away from being able to coax a veteran with an NTC into accepting a trade to the Kings, and for it to happen Byfield would have to take a big step forward next season.

UFAs don't have NTC. They are free agents. But I agree, the longer we are in this losing rebuild, the harder it will become to sign big name UFAs.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
Gary at the podium - "We have a trade to announce! The Los Angeles Kings have acquired Jack Eichel and Rasmus Ristolainen from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for their 2021 first and second round draft picks, 2022 first round draft pick, Alex Turcotte, and Adrian Kempe."

The Sabres will want a defenseman back and ask for 1 of: Anderson, Bjornfot, Faber...or Roy.

Back to the draft - this is the draft thread....not the trade / signing thread.

If the Kings are in the 7-10 range (and the top big 4 defensemen are off the table) I want Chaz Lucius

Chaz Lucius | Chaz Lucius Profile | Chaz Lucius Scouting Report 2021

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - Oct. 8th: "He has a good shot, but Lucius gets a lot of goals because of how skilled and competitive he is. He scores a ton of goals from the slot and net-front area, and despite not being overly physical, shows no fear in getting to the hard spots of the ice."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Sept. 14th: "Maybe the most gifted finisher in this draft, Lucius is a threat to score from just about anywhere in the offensive zone at 5-on-5 and a dynamic power play weapon who blends a piercingly-accurate shot with a unique ability to beat defenders with fakes and deception."

Tony Ferrari - Dobber Prospects - Sept. 12th: "Lucius is an intelligent player in all three zones but his offensive IQ is through the roof. The puck seemingly follows him around the ice. His shot is upper-echelon for this draft class and he’s no slouch as a playmaker either."

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The Sabres will want a defenseman back and ask for 1 of: Anderson, Bjornfot, Faber...or Roy.

If the Kings are in the 7-10 range (and the top big 4 defensemen are off the table) I want Chaz Lucius

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - Oct. 8th: "He has a good shot, but Lucius gets a lot of goals because of how skilled and competitive he is. He scores a ton of goals from the slot and net-front area, and despite not being overly physical, shows no fear in getting to the hard spots of the ice."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Sept. 14th: "Maybe the most gifted finisher in this draft, Lucius is a threat to score from just about anywhere in the offensive zone at 5-on-5 and a dynamic power play weapon who blends a piercingly-accurate shot with a unique ability to beat defenders with fakes and deception."

Tony Ferrari - Dobber Prospects - Sept. 12th: "Lucius is an intelligent player in all three zones but his offensive IQ is through the roof. The puck seemingly follows him around the ice. His shot is upper-echelon for this draft class and he’s no slouch as a playmaker either."

If the Kings pick a C in the 1st round for the 5th straight season what does it tell you about the overall outlook for the previous 4?

Either that or they are letting SFKingshomer make the 1st round picks :laugh:

I get the BPA thing, but this is ridiculous. They need to balance out the prospect pool with a higher end d-man or winger.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

Chaz Lucius? Corey Pronman?? Tony Ferrari??? This almost reads like a Mad Magazine article!

Another center. All I care is if the kid can score and score often. The roster in 5 years will be Doughty and Kopitar in a wheelchair surrounded by centers at every position.

Reactions: Lt Dan and ru4reals

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
HFBoards - "Kings have the best prospect pool in the entire league, we're stacked!"

Also HFBoards - "You can't trade away one of our 15 center prospects for an established superstar, that would set us back years!"

:snide:

this was the ducks mentality during our cup runs, and look where it got them. They had the perfect op to improve their forwards through trades and the GM stayed pat. They had the best dmen prospect pool and never moved anyone until it was too late.

Reactions: Herby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad