Is it time to re-sign Nelson?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Your post is suggesting that Nelson has not been helped by the best coach in the NHL and is having another good start though. Time will tell if this is a phase or if this is the new Nelson though. I would hate to give up on him right when he learns how to play the right way though. I think coaching has a lot more to do with this than you are letting on.

It absolutely has to do with coaching, but coaching isn't everything. There are certain players that even with the best coaching don't produce in the playoffs and I think Nelson is one of those players.

That said, hopefully you agree that if the Isles do not want to resign Nelson (or he won't sign before July) that we MUST trade him before the trade deadline.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
It absolutely has to do with coaching, but coaching isn't everything. There are certain players that even with the best coaching don't produce in the playoffs and I think Nelson is one of those players.

That said, hopefully you agree that if the Isles do not want to resign Nelson (or he won't sign before July) that we MUST trade him before the trade deadline.
In the playoffs his pts/game dropped by 2 points over the 18 games he's played, which is a reasonable dropoff and in line with most players given the tighter defense and lack of weak opponents to help pad your stats. He also was in his first 3 seasons of NHL experience. While I'm not all that gung ho on signing him right now, I also don't think his playoff production has been as bad as you seem to suggest here, and either way, signing him would hardly indicate we're building the team around him.

And if the deadline rolls around and we're still 2nd in the division, I'd rather not become sellers. Would much prefer keeping our team together and trying to do as much damage in the playoffs as we can. It's time to establish a winning culture and attract winners rather than giving up and going back to the losing culture that's permeated this franchise for so long.

Last edited:

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
and KO didn't prove he could do well without JT
CDH...I'm not gonna pay a guy that much (he was already offered enough) after his FOURTH shoulder injury.
I honestly think Nielsen is regretting going to Detroit...We would have had JT-Barzal-Nielsen-Zeeker down the middle last year...would have made a world of difference .

Reactions: IODCPiper and dood

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
CDH...I'm not gonna pay a guy that much (he was already offered enough) after his FOURTH shoulder injury.
I honestly think Nielsen is regretting going to Detroit...We would have had JT-Barzal-Nielsen-Zeeker down the middle last year...would have made a world of difference .
But it has nothing to do with their performance after leaving, its about not getting any return on your investment.
Allowing assets to walk without so much as a bucket of pucks coming back is absolute negligence.

Reactions: Newsworthy

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Exactly. These guys should have been traded at the deadline regardless. I'm talking compensation.
In addition we could still trade Eberle, Nelson, and whoever else and still sign them as free agents.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Exactly. These guys should have been traded at the deadline regardless. I'm talking compensation.
In addition we could still trade Eberle, Nelson, and whoever else and still sign them as free agents.
ALL teams keep their UFA's when they are in a playoff drive. not defending Snow, but it's common practice.

also, there are other 'little' considerations, like, 'what does the player want to do?'. 'does the player have personal issues?' injury/insurance conditions also play a part.

some of you don't seem to understand that the GM is not a slave owner.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Wait a bit to see if he continues playing well, and then see if you can sign him at the rate of a low end #2C/high end #3C. Because in the long run he's likely going to end up being a 3C or a LW by the end of his contract.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

I do not think it is some exact science on having to trade everyone who doesn't have a contract before the deadline, but Isles may get a 1st for Nelson so of course.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
ALL teams keep their UFA's when they are in a playoff drive. not defending Snow, but it's common practice.

also, there are other 'little' considerations, like, 'what does the player want to do?'. 'does the player have personal issues?' injury/insurance conditions also play a part.

some of you don't seem to understand that the GM is not a slave owner.
NYR did not last year. It will be interesting to see what they do this season. Probably more of the same. Some teams look at the future and not the present.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
NYR did not last year. It will be interesting to see what they do this season. Probably more of the same. Some teams look at the future and not the present.
The Rangers were 13th in the East and 9 points out of a wild card spot when they traded Nash and McDonagh. I don't think that's what most people mean when they say a team is in a playoff drive.

Reactions: LeapOnOver and dood

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
The Rangers were 13th in the East and 9 points out of a wild card spot when they traded Nash and McDonagh. I don't think that's what most people mean when they say a team is in a playoff drive.
9 points out is in the hunt enough to be buyers and not sellers especially for at least one player (McDonagh) not being an UFA. If the NY Isles are nine points out are we buyers or sellers?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I do not think it is some exact science on having to trade everyone who doesn't have a contract before the deadline, but Isles may get a 1st for Nelson so of course.

If you get offered at least a 1st rounder for a UFA about to walk then that is the science.

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island
I want to be the team acquiring the upcoming ufa at the deadline and trying to win. If we are in the playoffs, why are we going to give the teams we are going to be competing with one of OUR players for THEIR playoff run. Such a losing team mentality here. Sure, if playoffs are out of the picture, the team absolutely must unload upcoming ufa’s, but trading key pieces of the team prior to the playoffs for picks is ridiculous. Trading player for player is obviously different.

Reactions: dood

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I hope Trotz is passing Lou notss on who he likes.

I'll say this: I have never seen Brock use his body this much.

Reactions: dood

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Chemistry may be more important than the actual position a player plays. Did you guys knows that Burrows played his off wing when he played with the Sedins and he excelled despite not playing at at his normal position. I think when you decide on who to draft who to trade or who to resign etc. look at the chemistry factor more than the right/left shot factors. Pick the guys with the right skill sets, work ethics/drive, confidence and ability to learn and communicate. When the chemistry is not there, it is hard to execute the plays.

Just look at McDavid for example he is so talented yet the Oilers top line is not outscoring their opposition on nightly basis. I think that is because Oilers has not yet found someone with the perfect skills/IQ/drive to play with him at fast pace. The mental part of the game is actually the most important part of the game as a player can get hurt over his career and therefore not always able to keep up his skill sets (ie a bad leg injury can slow your speed, a bad hand injury can hurt your shooting and passing ability). Unless a player get a bad concussion or has off ice issues that take his focus away from the game, the IQ part should normally stay pretty much the same or even better over time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad